Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toast.
Thanks guys ill pick up a 92 and 96 spur 64 pitch and 44 pinion - any others i should grab?
Ull want to go as low as 3.5 and as high as 4.5 fdr so check for both size spur gears
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks fuzzion and steveM!
So how much more adjustable is the R1 vs S1 is it just small things that dont really need so much adjustment or is it things like caster/toe which would be helpful to adjust. Are sway bars worth there investment? Or minimal gains if at all.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sways bars helped the S1 a lot in my opinion. I ran xray 1.3mm front and 1.2mm rear.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpecRC
So how much more adjustable is the R1 vs S1 is it just small things that dont really need so much adjustment or is it things like caster/toe which would be helpful to adjust. Are sway bars worth there investment? Or minimal gains if at all.
The s1 is the same car as the r1 just with cheaper material. The only thing is the instead of inserts for the arm mount they have multiple arm mounts. And it doesnt have sway bars.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SpecRC
You'll want the sway bars for sure, you do miss out on the lower arm adjustment as Jeff explained, you could always buy the R1 parts if you wanted them. The S1 comes with a few rear arm mounts, but I'm not sure what's available for the front. Shocks are fine, again few little tweaks such as Tamiya o rings if you want to, not 100% necessary. DCJ's or a geared front diff are also another option, although I'd perhaps try the car first and see what it feels like for you. Another thing you'll definitely want with the S1 is some alloy hexes, the car comes with plastic ones so throw those in the bin straight away. You'll also want either some flanged bearings or the new longer bushings for the layshaft. Other possible upgrades are the servo mount as the stock plastic ones on any car aren't great and a few sets of springs. I'm personally running Tamiya springs, I know some people like the Yokomo's. I also recently switched to Tamiya ballcups as the stock ones have quite a bit of slop and in my case came off pretty easily. Got some of the alloy R1 turnbuckles for them too, but they're not required if you don't want them - I'd say the ballcups are something you'll want though.

The S1 is less adjustable box stock than the R1, although you can easily upgrade it to have all those same adjustments. All you'd be missing is the materials that the R1 is made out of - so plastic bulkheads instead of alloy and composite instead of proper carbon for the chassis parts.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just an FYI on the long layshaft bushings...

The bushing are 1mm longer than the standard bushings. They work perfectly with spur gears that have an inner width of 2mm, i.e. HPI/HotBodies, RW and Spec R (kit spur). When using them with spurs with a 2.5mm inner width like Kimbrough and 3Racing, the new bushings will be too long. So if using flanged bearings and a Kimbrough spur works then stick with that solution.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Was looking at the this car and did see that it has bushings instead of layshaft bearings! Is this a problem? Do you have to remove one side to get to the spur gear?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Was looking at the this car and did see that it has bushings instead of layshaft bearings! Is this a problem? Do you have to remove one side to get to the spur gear?
Well the spur gear holder has bearings in it and that rides on the layshaft. But yes it is tricky to replace the spur. I always just remove one layshaft mount to remove the spur. From a maintenance point of view that is the only real quirk with the car.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Well the spur gear holder has bearings in it and that rides on the layshaft. But yes it is tricky to replace the spur. I always just remove one layshaft mount to remove the spur. From a maintenance point of view that is the only real quirk with the car.
That is odd! I like Spec R's arms and parts they make for Xray but was looking into an (alternative) cheeper car. Xrays stuff is so dam pricey! Just getting spare parts breaks the bank! I might be looking into getting one later this year to try!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Finally got to run my r1 in Vta trim..... WOW this thing is awesome out of the box! a few tweaks here and there and she'll be great!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is odd! I like Spec R's arms and parts they make for Xray but was looking into an (alternative) cheeper car. Xrays stuff is so dam pricey! Just getting spare parts breaks the bank! I might be looking into getting one later this year to try!
Pull the trigger I had a t3 '12 sold it and bought this car AND had money left over for spares! PLUS ALL yes all the bodies are a direct fit.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trickd122
Pull the trigger I had a t3 '12 sold it and bought this car AND had money left over for spares! PLUS ALL yes all the bodies are a direct fit.
Have to wait and see what my tax return looks like! Is there any pro driver that runs this car? What is his opinion on this car?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I noticed this morning that one of the alloy shock caps is split in half and looks like I'll need to order a replacement. Never had this happen ever.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I do not believe there are any "pro" level drivers driving the car. However there are a lot of good drivers driving the car. It is a very capable car in the hands of a talented driver.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Have to wait and see what my tax return looks like! Is there any pro driver that runs this car? What is his opinion on this car?
Well "pro level" In my opinion pro drivers are also pro sales men. Now who would really give a negative opinion on any chassis that they run? Another thing is that those guys are capable of racing and winning with just about anything! In my opinion this car is just as good and as capable as ANY of the top contending chassis out there. You won't be disappointed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.