Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwddww34
I can't wait to see (or hear about) any Xray T3 prototype parts that Paul Lemieux is using at the 2012 IFMAR Electric TC World Championship this weekend. I wonder if Paul has the Xray T3 Center Servo mount in his car. I am curious to see if it makes any difference in the T3's handling.
I seem to recall him saying (possibly on the Xray forum) that he will have two cars, one with the centre mount and one without.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
The only change in handling would be that the car can lean over a little more on the left side of the car...assuming of course the servo nub has been shaved off the chassis. So far I am not a big fan of the design and I am running it on both of my cars...
It should also allow the front of the chassis to flex more which should result in slightly more steering, or at least front grip.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Right now there are 3 different ways to mount the servo to an Xray T3 chassis. I have tried 2 of them and I can't really say if one way is better than the other.

Those 3 ways are:
  1. 2011-style:
  2. 2012-style w/o Cntr Mount Kit:
  3. 2012-style with Cntr Mount Kit:
The main reason for the change from the '11 design (front/back) to the '12 (East/West) was due to the complaints about there not being enough room to mount electronics. Others said although lap times were the same the increased 'resolution' of the steering made it easier to drive.

The new centre mount allows the servo to only mount near the centreline of the car, which ironically is where it used to be on the '11 car
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by asuradahk001
look like so nice!
How does that chassis handle? Looks a bit like the exotek chassis. What track conditions do you run On.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I can't wait to see (or hear about) any Xray T3 prototype parts that Paul Lemieux is using at the 2012 IFMAR Electric TC World Championship this weekend. I wonder if Paul has the Xray T3 Center Servo mount in his car. I am curious to see if it makes any difference in the T3's handling.
His running 2 cars, one with one without.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kinga
How does that chassis handle? Looks a bit like the exotek chassis. What track conditions do you run On.
Funny that most of his posts are about their products, huh?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

EDIT

Sorry guys, double post!

Bb

Last edited by bucketboy; 07-26-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: double post
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Right now there are 3 different ways to mount the servo to an Xray T3 chassis. I have tried 2 of them and I can't really say if one way is better than the other.

Those 3 ways are:
  1. 2011-style:
  2. 2012-style w/o Cntr Mount Kit:
  3. 2012-style with Cntr Mount Kit:
Nope! atleast 4

Fully inboard

1 servo post and servo tape, allows the chassis to flex and no "pip" to dig in

Bb
Old 07-26-2012, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bucketboy
Nope! atleast 4

Fully inboard

1 servo post and servo tape, allows the chassis to flex and no "pip" to dig in

Bb
Ok, 3 official ways of mounting it then.

Skiddins
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Really only 2 official ways on the current chassis. I've never seen anybody run the servo in the north-south fashion on the 2012. Just the stock 2 post mounting, or the optional carbon fiber top mount.

Speaking of steering, I was never happy with the fact that the stock turnbuckle between the servo saver and the steering arms was basically 100% bottomed out when I had the servo horn vertical. I also had about a 20% EPA difference in my left and right steering to get the car to turn equally. Last night at the track I started messing with the steering on my setup station.

First I rotated the servo saver a little bit, so it was angle away from the center line of the car. This increased the length of the turnbuckle. With this setup it took nearly a 60% EPA difference to get the left-right turning the same!

I then switched the other way, so the servo saver was one spline off-center, but this time tilted towards the inside of the car. This required me using a shorter turnbuckle than the stock one. With this setup I was able to reach equal left-right steering with only a 3% EPA difference.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Technic
Really only 2 official ways on the current chassis. I've never seen anybody run the servo in the north-south fashion on the 2012. Just the stock 2 post mounting, or the optional carbon fiber top mount.

Speaking of steering, I was never happy with the fact that the stock turnbuckle between the servo saver and the steering arms was basically 100% bottomed out when I had the servo horn vertical. I also had about a 20% EPA difference in my left and right steering to get the car to turn equally. Last night at the track I started messing with the steering on my setup station.

First I rotated the servo saver a little bit, so it was angle away from the center line of the car. This increased the length of the turnbuckle. With this setup it took nearly a 60% EPA difference to get the left-right turning the same!

I then switched the other way, so the servo saver was one spline off-center, but this time tilted towards the inside of the car. This required me using a shorter turnbuckle than the stock one. With this setup I was able to reach equal left-right steering with only a 3% EPA difference.
I have mine as per kit and there's only 2% difference.
Are you sure your links are the same length etc?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I have mine as per kit and there's only 2% difference.
Are you sure your links are the same length etc?
Yes, the links are equal left and right with 0.5* of toe-out.

I think the problem is I could never get the servo saver to be vertical without using about 50 clicks of sub-trim. It was off one way or the other without sub-trim, no matter what spline combination I used. Now I'm using no subtrim with the servo saver spline one-spline towards the inside of the car and it's just about perfect.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, the links are equal left and right with 0.5* of toe-out.

I think the problem is I could never get the servo saver to be vertical without using about 50 clicks of sub-trim. It was off one way or the other without sub-trim, no matter what spline combination I used. Now I'm using no subtrim with the servo saver spline one-spline towards the inside of the car and it's just about perfect.
Take the servo saver off, and the link from it.

Set the servo up to dead centre (without anything on it)
Now take the small spline insert (If you use one) that fits inbetween the servo saver and the servo spline. If the saver isn't vertical, rotate the spline adapter around to it's next fitting position, then try the saver on it again.
Repeat until as close to vertical as possible.

That's how I did mine and it ended up almost spot on.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Take the servo saver off, and the link from it.

Set the servo up to dead centre (without anything on it)
Now take the small spline insert (If you use one) that fits inbetween the servo saver and the servo spline. If the saver isn't vertical, rotate the spline adapter around to it's next fitting position, then try the saver on it again.
Repeat until as close to vertical as possible.

That's how I did mine and it ended up almost spot on.
Believe me, I did this and anything else I could think of. I couldn't get it vertical without a significant amount of sub-trim.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Believe me, I did this and anything else I could think of. I couldn't get it vertical without a significant amount of sub-trim.
Oh well, I'm out of idea's then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.