Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I had planed on buying a cuda but after reading all of the post's I'm not not sure if I want to now,Is the cuda competive in stock form? Or do you have to spend a ton of cash to get the car to work.If thats the case I'll buy an evo 3 or yokomo,I thought the cuda was a good car but now I wonder,pay $300 + another $200 to get a car that only works as well as a $280 car that needs nothing.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

xxkat: The 'cuda is not what I would call a mainstream car and it will not suit everyone. Inexperienced car builders can easily get frustrated with the car due to the care that needs to be taken when building it.

If you buy it from SpeedtechRC you will get a nice English language manual supplement, if you import it directly from overseas you will get a Japanese language manual.

If you want something that just works and has tons of support, get a TC3...if you want something that is different but will work just as well if not better get a 'cuda.

One thing in the 'cuda's favour is that it is built like a tank. Its bevel and diff gears can take some punishment unlike the Evo3 or Yokomo and its arms are the toughest you will find around. The lack of hingepins for the arms also mean that there is nothing to bend or break. This is one car that has a good chance of surviving a full face impact into a concrete barrier (My car survived this more than once). So in a way the 'cuda is more forgiving in terms of skill (or lack of on my part).

The 'cuda will do very well in stock form. The reason you see so many hop-ups on 'cudas is simply because they are available and they look good. If you have a lot more self-control than most us you will find that you will have to spend very little to get it competitive.

Last edited by itchynads; 05-27-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

xxxkat,

No, you don't need any of the hop-ups if you don't want to. Our driver Dave Berger, who is also on this messageboard helping, finished 2nd at the 2003 Reedy Race of Champion with a car that have very few hop-ups on it. The only hop-ups David have on his car are: Alloy shaft holders front and rear, and sway bars. I believe he was even running the stock springs, I'll know for sure when I get the Reedy setup sheet from him.

I'll have some other announcements to make later on in the weeks as well.

Steve Wang
Old 05-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well I have had my share of TC-3s and it is a good car but it's a fragile car and the Losi is almost as bad,Right now I have a xxxs g-plus,an x ray,a yokomo ssg (not the sd)all belt driven cars,I would like to try a shaft driven car(not another tc-3)out of all my TC's the yokomo holds up the best,as I often hear..it still runs after that hit.. I have talked to steve (at the norrca state race at showtime) about the cuda,so I think I'm going to buy one.The track where I race at is very hard on cars,Steve you know what I'm saying you have raced at this track(showtime)Thanks for all the info guy's.

Last edited by xxxkat; 05-27-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Placement

Sir, I'm new in this RC hobby and i would like to get a Shaft Drive since most complany is converting to shaft. I have seen the TC3, YokSD, Evo3 and all were using same motor placement(Right Side) I would like to know the Pros and Cons using this Motor Design due to Tamiya Evo 2 didnt work and switch back to Right side on Evo 3. Thanks..
Old 05-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by itchynads
xxkat: The 'cuda is not what I would call a mainstream car and it will not suit everyone. Inexperienced car builders can easily get frustrated with the car due to the care that needs to be taken when building it.

If you buy it from SpeedtechRC you will get a nice English language manual supplement, if you import it directly from overseas you will get a Japanese language manual.

If you want something that just works and has tons of support, get a TC3...if you want something that is different but will work just as well if not better get a 'cuda.

One thing in the 'cuda's favour is that it is built like a tank. Its bevel and diff gears can take some punishment unlike the Evo3 or Yokomo and its arms are the toughest you will find around. The lack of hingepins for the arms also mean that there is nothing to bend or break. This is one car that has a good chance of surviving a full face impact into a concrete barrier (My car survived this more than once). So in a way the 'cuda is more forgiving in terms of skill (or lack of on my part).

The 'cuda will do very well in stock form. The reason you see so many hop-ups on 'cudas is simply because they are available and they look good. If you have a lot more self-control than most us you will find that you will have to spend very little to get it competitive.

Well put but I would like to add my 2 bits also
as for the Cuda' being main stream..?? It depends on were your are at in the world as for Japan...this car is Very Main Stream....
In a area that is Overloaded with Yokomo (due to Masami... if he didn't to all of the R/D with Yokomo there wouldn't be the backing that yokomo has..) anyways Out of 10 cars that are at every local track that I go to there is at least 3 out of the 10 cars that are Barracuda's..

Now for as the car being able to run well out of the box...it can run very well out of the Box.! ..

But as for it needing a bunch of $$ dumped into it.. thats not the case... there are a few things that you "should" get (alloy center shaft holders or PAL drive system) but they will just make things more solid on a very well proven platform.

just my thoughts... any other users have there to bits' to add please do so

-Dave
Old 05-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Motor Placement

Originally posted by yajra
Sir, I'm new in this RC hobby and i would like to get a Shaft Drive since most complany is converting to shaft. I have seen the TC3, YokSD, Evo3 and all were using same motor placement(Right Side) I would like to know the Pros and Cons using this Motor Design due to Tamiya Evo 2 didnt work and switch back to Right side on Evo 3. Thanks..

As for motor placemant.... there have been 2 versions of the Barracuda...and the Speed Way PAL version...the PAL version had it on the Right side and the Barracuda and R2 have it on the Left side...I think that it was mostly done for track layout...... now as for some of the other shaft cars that you said 90% of them have a slight touque steer...but the Cuda has slim to none...very effective drive train..plus it's Built pretty tought

-Dave
Old 05-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

JMD or anyone do you guys have some pics of your cars? I wanted to get one but wanted to see some nice pics to really make me want one

Good Job dave at reedy your car looked really dialed

Thanks,
Drew
Old 05-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally posted by teamAE
JMD or anyone do you guys have some pics of your cars? I wanted to get one but wanted to see some nice pics to really make me want one

Thanks,
Drew
Thanx :-)

I posted a bunch o pics on the other Cuda thread
"Alex Racing Barracuda R2 Coming to the US!"

But here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Barracuda from Alex racing-ls1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Barracuda from Alex racing-rs1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:04 AM
Tech Regular

If those pics aren't good enough to convince someone then I don't know what will
Old 05-28-2003, 03:42 AM
fai
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by itchynads

itchynads: I totally agree with you! In my opinion, I will put the two 'aluminium shaft holders' into my 'must-buy' list!
Old 05-28-2003, 03:46 AM
fai
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by teamAE

Thanks,
Drew
teamAE, how about mine?! Sorry, mine is still a R1!
Attached Thumbnails Barracuda from Alex racing-p3140012.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003, 03:47 AM
fai
Regional Moderator

A more close-up at the front:

Attached Thumbnails Barracuda from Alex racing-p3140014.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by SpeedTech
xxxkat,

No, you don't need any of the hop-ups if you don't want to.
Totally agree.
Stick with the supplied 48 pitch gear and you wont need the Pal drive system. ANY car will strip spur gears without proper mesh. I've been using the same Kimbrough spur that I bought 2 months ago.
As far as my hop ups that I purchased they would be the alloy front and back knuckles (definitely not needed items), sway bars and shock springs. What IS required is a few hours spent paying special attention to bearing fit and gear shimming and mesh. Things you should be working out on ANY car.
I watched Dave's car at Reedy and was thinking he definately would of won if he was near the front row for the mains because he knocked out the fastest lap times and just was on a tear.
My car ran very well too but I will need to take some vacation time off for next year in order to get more than 2 practices in

Congrats Dave B.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.