Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
has anyone compared the diff to the spool in the 17.5 class. I am running a diff with 1mill gravity rc fluid and the car feels good to me. I would like to hear input from other 411 owners.
In 17.5 class I prefer the spool, for the reason Johnny stated which is more pull out of corners but a gear diff feels good too. I just feel the spool is slightly faster. In modified with a 5.0 I prefer the gear diff. Mine has the 2.5 million in it. Those have been my findings so far.

Steve
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

I know the 411 eryx has major steering problems with the rack coming apart at the bearings. Its a very poor design. To resolve the problem I've managed to slam thee new schumacher mi5 steering rack into my411. After a few modifications it works like a charm.Time to go racing!

Last edited by BardSmith; 10-22-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BardSmith
I know the 411 eryx has major steering problems with the rack coming apart at the bearings. Its a very poor design. To resolve the problem I've managed to slam thee new schumacher mi5 steering rack into my411. After a few modifications it works like charmed.Time to go racing!
Interesting, post some pics if you can. On a side note the Schui guys are blowing out the racks as well and require some additional maintenance to keep the rack tight, but it's a nice design. My fix with two washers on the stock rack still seems pretty simple though.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Interesting, post some pics if you can. On a side note the Schui guys are blowing out the racks as well and require some additional maintenance to keep the rack tight, but it's a nice design. My fix with two washers on the stock rack still seems pretty simple though.
I have both cars and shui wins on steering rack. Both come off faily easily but I can't disagree with poor design on the steering rack on Eryx. All I had to do to fix schui's rack problem was to tighten those 3 bolts on the rack but I had to glue the bearings on the rack on Eryx to fix it. I don't know how you fixed it with 2 washers Johnny cuz I didn't have such luck with that.
To me schui is better in low traction tracks and easier to set up than Eryx. Eryx is like a girl who's sensitive to everything and needs attention all the time if it ever makes sense LOL
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

As requested Mr. Wishbone... Like you I've used various arrangements of washers and even had success with counter-sunk washers but I thought the Schumi rack looked and worked awesome so I threw it in. Here are some photos... enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-pa210009.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210001.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210002.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210003.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210004.jpg  

Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

more...
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-pa210005.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210006.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210007.jpg   Serpent S411-pa210008.jpg   Serpent S411-mi5_rack_ass_1000.jpg  

Old 10-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know the 411 eryx has major steering problems with the rack coming apart at the bearings. Its a very poor design. To resolve the problem I've managed to slam thee new schumacher mi5 steering rack into my411. After a few modifications it works like a charm.Time to go racing!
mines also pulled apart this pass weekend. I have them on all three of my cars so far only one fell apart.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

I have notice that some people are putting spacers under the top plate. what is the effect?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
mines also pulled apart this pass weekend. I have them on all three of my cars so far only one fell apart.
Here is another option using the counter-sink washer on the top of the arms. It helps to keep the bearings in place but you may need to try different variations of shims to help reduce play/slop... hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-pa210002.jpg  

Last edited by BardSmith; 10-22-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Here is another option using the counter-sink washer on the top of the arms. It helps to keep the bearings in place but your may need to try different variations of shims to help reduce play/slop... hope this helps
thanks I will try it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is another option using the counter-sink washer on the top of the arms. It helps to keep the bearings in place but you may need to try different variations of shims to help reduce play/slop... hope this helps
Has any one tryed the Exotek CF steering brace, will that do the trick,

http://www.exotekracing.com/s411-cf-steering-brace/
Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Which servo and servo saver are you having this issue with? The original mount was not intended for any servo saver so it will have to be modified for a servo saver. Never had any clearance issues when using the stock servo horn. As far as the design, only 2 screws to remove the entire unit from the car for service, and having the plate mounted as it is has the least amount of deflection over all the other designed floating mounts.

I run a Xray 4 spring saver and only required a slight modification of the servo mounting plate to get full rotation clearance.
futaba servo . no shims between the servo and the mounting brackets , the servo is as far forward as it can get . the stock servo horn interfers with the carbon fiber plate . if i put 1mm shim in the servo horn , the horn itself clears the cf plate but the screw head does not . 2mm shim in the servo horn gives me enough clearance to clear the screw head but with that much shimming , the servo horn is barely on at all . i guess i just need to grind 2 mm off the carbon fiber plate so the screw head clears the front of it . awesome .

also , i noticed the steering rack has more slop than my old losi eight-e buggy .... thats a lot of slop !
Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Steve S
Shane, if you can make it out to the track on Tuesday you can check out my setup.

i will check it out on friday . if i dont go all miller on this car before then , that is .
Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purple haze
futaba servo . no shims between the servo and the mounting brackets , the servo is as far forward as it can get . the stock servo horn interfers with the carbon fiber plate . if i put 1mm shim in the servo horn , the horn itself clears the cf plate but the screw head does not . 2mm shim in the servo horn gives me enough clearance to clear the screw head but with that much shimming , the servo horn is barely on at all . i guess i just need to grind 2 mm off the carbon fiber plate so the screw head clears the front of it . awesome .

also , i noticed the steering rack has more slop than my old losi eight-e buggy .... thats a lot of slop !
That's the same servo I run and had no issues. I do believe that the instructions specify a 1mm spacer between the servo and the mounts though. The 2mm spacer on the horn will just strip out really quick. If you get a chance go to the Serpent site and read the build tips article for the car, it gives in great detail all the little fixes needed to assemble the car. Specifically it explains how to tighten up the steering rack and also eliminate the chance of the rack bearings popping out. You should definitely take Steve up on his offer, that car is dialed.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by tiago890
Has any one tryed the Exotek CF steering brace, will that do the trick,

http://www.exotekracing.com/s411-cf-steering-brace/
Would this apply to Eryx too? Doesn't seem like it but wonder how others think. I tried to get rid of the slops on the steering rack on Eryx and I couldn't seem to do it. I think some people suggested their solutions, I tried some but none worked. I just can't imagine a piece of carbon fiber brace would remove the existing slope. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.