Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltron989
Any guys having a problem with the bearings on the middle shaft?

My friend and I both picked up Eryx's last month and both of us have had a bearing fail on the middle shaft that holds the spur and belt pulleys.
My friends bearing went out on him on the first day of driving it and mine went a week or 2 after that. Both bearing failures resulted in the middle shaft needing to be replaced due to damage on the ends where the bearing fits on too. We both run Mod class, 4.5T motors.

Im just curious are other guys(especially mod) having any similar problems?
one thing I noticed when ordering new bearings is that when searching for replacement bearings using the Serpent part number is that a flanged bearing comes up. Both our kits came with standard non flanged bearings.
Could this help explain the bearing failures? and maybe explain the spur side play that I see most people on here have?

I ordered the flanged bearings and also have some non flanged bearings like the ones that came with the kit. im waiting for them to come in along with the new center shaft. Any advice on which style bearing to use? we really don't want to keep replacing center shafts.

thanks
I run 10.5 boosted and never had any bearing go. About 6 race days now. Mine are not flanged, nor does the instructions show their flanged.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can recommend avid bearings for a replacement. im running a full set of Ceramic revolution bearings in my S411. thing is damn fast and free with them in place.
make sure all the bulkheads are properly aligned and not causing any load on the bearings in their carriers. if your tightening screws and the transmission gets tighter, something popped out of alignment which will kill the bearings sooner.

layshaft bearing should never go bad really.. definitely a plug for the avids though. $40 to do the entire transmission and wheel bearings. i didnt bother with dif carrier bearings, after relubing those they were extremely smooth.
im totally in the habbit of cleaning and lubing even new cars and new bearings now!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltron989
Any guys having a problem with the bearings on the middle shaft?

My friend and I both picked up Eryx's last month and both of us have had a bearing fail on the middle shaft that holds the spur and belt pulleys.
My friends bearing went out on him on the first day of driving it and mine went a week or 2 after that. Both bearing failures resulted in the middle shaft needing to be replaced due to damage on the ends where the bearing fits on too. We both run Mod class, 4.5T motors.

Im just curious are other guys(especially mod) having any similar problems?
one thing I noticed when ordering new bearings is that when searching for replacement bearings using the Serpent part number is that a flanged bearing comes up. Both our kits came with standard non flanged bearings.
Could this help explain the bearing failures? and maybe explain the spur side play that I see most people on here have?

I ordered the flanged bearings and also have some non flanged bearings like the ones that came with the kit. im waiting for them to come in along with the new center shaft. Any advice on which style bearing to use? we really don't want to keep replacing center shafts.

thanks
Yes, over the course of all the S cars I have had I have had two bearing failures on the center shaft. Both times it has been on the motor side which I think takes the most stress. The secong bearing actually blew out but I didn't notice it immediately which in turn destroyed the shaft. I think the bearing seized so the shaft was rotating in a more bushing type state, which ended up messing it all up. I haven't had a issue since, but I also make sure that those two bearings get oiled regularily. I also have mentioned this to Serpent to consider upping that particular bearing size just so it can take the load better. The bearing itself is not flanged, and I think if you use a flanged bearing on both sides it will not fit properly between the two mounts, speculation on my part though.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the response's. I appreciate it

Tried the flanged bearing(SER1338 as listed on the manual) and yea it doesn't fit right.
Ill try Valks suggestion on the Ceramic bearings and keep a close eye on them.
Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2013 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC"

I am thinking of participate and I wounder if there will be any "fellow" racers there.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Linguster
I am thinking of participate and I wounder if there will be any "fellow" racers there.
Myself and Nick from here as well as I beleive Paul C and probably a couple others.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default serpent s 411 sport?

does anyone know when sepent will have more s 411 sport kits available?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Any info about Marcs car from the German Nats? Pics, setup sheet, anything? Sounds like he did pretty well.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Any info about Marcs car from the German Nats? Pics, setup sheet, anything? Sounds like he did pretty well.
+1, not one set-up from him for asphalt this year!?!?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Just to let people know, I have a serpent s411 Team edition roller that i got in a trade that i will not be using, never seen outdoor use and overall looks to be in near pristine condition bar a few marks on the plastics where pliers were used to mount steering links etc

im in hospital at the moment so havnt had a chance to look at myself, parcel is waiting at home for me but do have a fair few good quality photos,

Cant send over seas so UK (England) based buyers only, looking for £250 roughly
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if anyone has a nice serpent 411 for sale shoot me a pm.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

got to this race http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rcar-gate.html any other fellow serpent drivers going?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
got to this race http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rcar-gate.html any other fellow serpent drivers going?
I will be at this race have been to the past 3 all have been a really good time!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Myself and Nick from here as well as I beleive Paul C and probably a couple others.
Cant wait to go.

Nick K
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default problem and some tips

hello,
i have some problems with my cvds the pin keeps comming out and i am putting thread lock and the flat side is properly placed. it happens only on the front cvds.
also can you tell me some tips on what to do before a race. What to check? change? and.....
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-img_20130822_133827.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.