Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'll keep my spares for a TA06 project down the road. For racing, who knows...

Change is good. See you guys on the other side.
Cool! Let us know how well it goes with the XRay! I really like some of their innovative designs especially the tunable differentials and slipper center pulley. Too bad I've sunken too much money into Tamiya and it's not feasible for me to change now.

If I have chance I would try to get a used in excellent condition XRay T3 2011.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You know what Tamiya needs? A touring car that has some f'ing rear grip on something other than the most pristine surfaces. I've been driving these stupid piece of s*** cars for 4 years now, and that problem has plagued me everywhere I go. So you know what? I'm done supporting a brand that doesn't care about North America, and only works right when the stars align. I'll be selling all this junk and buying something that works, from a company that supports racing.
I'm sure someone from the US "team" will chime in with their great contribution. They'll probably say something like "this car always works for me."
Nope. Does that help? Let me see what's in stock... in HONG KONG!
"Loved" being the operative word. No problem, it was great having you guys in town.
They should name it the TRF417 SCBRE (Still Can't Beat Ronald Edition)

It's funny because it's true.
I'm not really sure I care who wins the worlds as long as it's open sauce. Losing every single race the last two years and winning a worlds with some secret sauce really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Anybody buying a kit for that reason alone is dumb.
I'll keep my spares for a TA06 project down the road. For racing, who knows...

Change is good. See you guys on the other side.

Sweet melt
Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The one thing I don't like about the TRF cars is how planted in the rear they are, but then I generally race on traction levels that surpass fly-paper stickiness.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Aside from the included V2 Gear Diff in the kit, the TRF417 chassis will be unchanged in this "new" release.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Yup that makes sense as the kit comes in Mod spec so including a gear diff is more fitting.

Is the new chassis plates a carpet set?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can read the Tamiya release info on the TRF417 w Gear Diff here http://kentech.blogs.se/

It is just the 42184 TRF417 kit with one of the new gear diffs thrown in and therefore a new part number.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
I know Syn is gonna hate me for saying this... but here we go...

I was really struggling with my 7 until a while ago, I made some setup changes that suit me and the way I drive, and now it's a load better...and that's on a pretty low grip surface (so dusty that unless cars have been running for half a day, no point using additive!). Rear grip was a real problem, and still is too some extent if I become overly aggressive.

Still, sounds like you need a change... it's good to try different things. I've been tempted to switch a few times previously (yes, again!), given my current situation, but with the car now going much better and too my liking, I'm staying put. Although I have got my own project to think about....
Good post.

I admit I went faster immediately with the T3. I learned a lot about set up with that car. Xray is an ace car, and I would be happy to get another.

But the Tamiya is even better. Which is why Xray have copied the basic design ever since TRF414..

I disagree strongly with posters who say this car is inconsistent and hard to set up. This, with minor upgrades, is by far the most consistent car I've had, ever.

Hingepins are bolted to the chassis with metal blocks. Once you bed them in and shim them there is no play. With the Xray you have to keep readjusting the plastic blocks, which can give inconsistent toe after a knock. Graphite suspension and c hubs are really consistent albeit more fragile. I found if you tap something this car feels pretty much the same afterwards but my xray would wander.

If you use the roche steel outdrives, 417 axles (no grub screw, cool!) and 46mm steel driveshafts its a bulletproof spool setup which is ultra consistent. No more funny business with erratic on power handling when the outdrives develop internal notches.

The consistency of this car is exactly what is allowing me to make real progress in both my driving and set up ability. My understanding of both has deepened considerably since I got my first TRF in December. Very little goes wrong at meetings now, as a result I've never enjoyed racing so much.

Change is as good as the rest, for me change to Tamiya, for others change to Xray
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

I'll be honest, the thing I've loved most about my Tamiyas (416WE, X and now 417) is the setup window.

You may say that it is a pretty narrow setup window - but that's because the actual changes you need to make to the car to go from track to track are tiny - I think the whole time I ran the X, I moved the shocks by 1 hole, changed the camber links by 1mm, and changed antidive in the front to tune the car to a variety of completely different tracks! Oh, and obviously changing springs indoors to out - but I think everyone knows it's Tamiya springs indoors, HPIs outdoors!

Compared to other cars I've had in the past, it's so much nicer to run a Tamiya. I know with the standard setup the car will be 99% of the way there when you first put it on the track. If it's not, you've probably got something tweaked, bent or binding somewhere.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
I'll be honest, the thing I've loved most about my Tamiyas (416WE, X and now 417) is the setup window.

You may say that it is a pretty narrow setup window - but that's because the actual changes you need to make to the car to go from track to track are tiny - I think the whole time I ran the X, I moved the shocks by 1 hole, changed the camber links by 1mm, and changed antidive in the front to tune the car to a variety of completely different tracks! Oh, and obviously changing springs indoors to out - but I think everyone knows it's Tamiya springs indoors, HPIs outdoors!

Compared to other cars I've had in the past, it's so much nicer to run a Tamiya. I know with the standard setup the car will be 99% of the way there when you first put it on the track. If it's not, you've probably got something tweaked, bent or binding somewhere.
+1
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Why does your online website either time-out or is soo slow it's near impossible to order???
So true.

Rhys
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

It's never good to hear of someones struggles and their ultimate decision to switch rides. Clearly you've put in the effort and time to try to get the Tamiya cars to work for you. It is unfortunate that you'll be switching to Xray. Having said that, at the end of the day regardless of our loyalty to brand/maker we are all working to achieve our personal goals and promote and grow this hobby. If a new ride will allow you to do this then we all win.

On the flip side it is good to hear that Ed and others are achieving some level of success on low to medium grip conditions. I race at the same track that Karl mentioned a couple of posts back. The grip levels are very high and just like Karl my setup challanges have been to free up the rear to help the car rotate better. From reading this thread it appears to be a good problem to have.

I'm relatively new to the hobby so I'm still learning as much as I can about setup. One thing that I've picked up on is that the fast guys spend a great deal of time on prepping their tires. At my recent trophy race the fast guys were meticulously grinding/sanding and cleaning/saucing their tires. I'm sure this alone was not what won them the race but every little bit counts.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default TRF 417

Hey Syn, sorry to hear your having issues with your 417.. I too encountered such frustrations with Schumacher's Mi4CX, I couldn't get it to handle the way I wanted too, also the parts support really sucks in North American. So I decided to switch over to Tamiya the parts support is amazing, setup information is great (I use the 416 setups as well as 417 setups), bottom line this car rocks.

What's your setup so far? Do you mind posting it here and let us take a look at it?

I've found the most powerful setup adjustment is front and rear droop.

Any way we're here to help or try too

Cheers.

Edward
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Hey Syn, sorry to hear your having issues with your 417.. I too encountered such frustrations with Schumacher's Mi4CX, I couldn't get it to handle the way I wanted too, also the parts support really sucks in North American. So I decided to switch over to Tamiya the parts support is amazing, setup information is great (I use the 416 setups as well as 417 setups), bottom line this car rocks.

What's your setup so far? Do you mind posting it here and let us take a look at it?

I've found the most powerful setup adjustment is front and rear droop.

Any way we're here to help or try too

Cheers.

Edward
Syn is not only having problem with 417. He said he has been struggling with Tamiya for 4 years, that dates back to 415.

Time to move on!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default Confused

I'm sorry to ask the question, but why do I care about one person having problems with the 417 and making the switch to another brand?

I know this is an open forum, but really isn't this thread for set-up advise? Why do people feel it's proper to log on and bitch?

Confused
Old 04-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swampracer
I'm sorry to ask the question, but why do I care about one person having problems with the 417 and making the switch to another brand?

I know this is an open forum, but really isn't this thread for set-up advise? Why do people feel it's proper to log on and bitch?

Confused
I think for setup and advice, people would ask JGH at http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-motors.html instead.

I really have no idea how can one be struggling with a brand of car for 4 years while most of us don't have a lot of problems with it. Yes, some of us do have problems, but eventually we would end up resolving it by exchange of ideas and setup information. Also, Jilles offers greats tips and guidance. So are the local experts if they are helpful and are willing to share their knowledge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.