Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
Lets see what happens if we take all the same drivers from the worlds and run mod foam on a say...100x50 indoor ozite track. I can guarantee you without a doubt there would be more US drivers in the A (top 20 or 30, for that matter) than any other country.
Sure drivers who have never driven foam on carpet will not do very well the first time. Give them equal time and the results would likely be the same as they were in Florida.

Some may not want to believe it, but American drivers are not the best at this point in time.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Rick,

I tell you what man.. you were burning it up out there for a while! I as watching your times during quals and practice and you were smokin!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Come on everyone, lets stop trying to find excuses for why there were only 2 US drivers in the top ten.

Carpet/Tarmac/Big Track/Small Track doesn't make a difference.

At the end of the day, it's a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - and the world is packed with amazing drivers.

On a different weekend, you could have had 5 US drivers in the top ten, or maybe even none. The names in the lower finals shows just how deep the talent is in 1/10th touring is.

You don't need to come from a "big" country to win a Worlds - how about Jukka Steenari (Finnish) or Surikarn (Thai) - it's the thumbs that count, not the flag.

Speaking as a Brit, I was actually surprised to see two UK drivers in the A - over the last couple of years, I've felt that British racers are slipping behind our European neighbours - we didn't even get a driver in the TC Euros this year - but that's the nature of racing, some days you are up, some days you are down.

And as far as the claims that "if it was on tight carpet the US would win"... well I'm afraid that is a perfect recipe for egg on your face. Masami/Hara/Team Tamiya etc. take the competition VERY seriously, and you can guarantee they will be fast whatever the layout, whatever the surface.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

You guys race in too good conditions... In Norway we have a quite long outdoor season, from April to September... But usually It's frost and maybe some snow during the first race of the season, and it rains a lot, and then fall comes along with even more rain and leaves on the track

We only run rubber tires, some tried foam for a short while, but it was to easy and boring... We're running touring, not 12th scale... Touring is made for rubber!

Setup wise it's a lot more difficult, and driving wise it requires a bit more than just fast reactions and experience with foam...
You need to handle everything, and think that most of our tracks are smaller than cleveland with a lot less grip, and full modified power Sounds easy doesn't it?

Joel Myrberg who won the B-main is the only driver I can compare with, I've beaten him a few times(but that was with hometrack advantage over him)... But he is one to look out for, he's going up and up and up! He's from Sweden, but only a four hour trip from me, and he races in basically the same conditions as I am... A bit better tracks sometimes though

So that's what we're learning from. And btw, none of the Europeans race on sugarwater often, so saying that they're used to racing like this is silly...
Old 11-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not to take away the accomplishments away from any of the racers from all over the world because all that showed up for the worlds this year are great, just look at the laps from 1st to last pretty close. Some just had better luck this weekend. Like someone said earlier take everyone to the track 1 week later and you are liable to get some different results.

I think the only way to crown a World champion you have to have a series that goes to different tracks around the world just like F1, and use indoor carpet, indoor asphalt, outer asphalt, outer concrete, and outdoor parking lot. having 1 race at each of these types of venues would show who would be the best driver in the world because they can adapt to any surface.

I know its a pipedream but I can still wish.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To a comment on Daisuke. I had my bets on him for the Amain. He consistantly out qualifies Hara in Japan. But Hara usually seems to do better in the mains. So when ever he's there with Hara.. expect him on top too.

One observation I made was about "who" was in the A main.

Rheinard - Current German National Champion
Hara- Current Roar National Champion
Daisuke-2003 1/12th Japanese National Champion
Masami- Current Japanese National Champion and IFMAR 1/12th
Juho Levanen- 2002-2003 European National Champion
Andrew Moore- Current BRCA Champion
Matt Francis-Former Ifmar Worlds Offroad Champion and 2004 Snowbirds 19expert winner
Billy Easton-2wd offroad Ifmar World Champion
Surikarn- Defending World Champion
Spashett-Former Worlds and European National Champ

I don't think you could have picked it any better than that... Give credit where credit is due...
Old 11-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

i just want to add guys that europeans determine the champions with series points like the BRCA where here we get a roar champion out of one race where all races are important for points
like f1 and so on we dont have that here yet should we ? and i know racing i big here but in europe and asia its huge!!.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

The last series of 33 "people" photos is now posted at Starting Grid. If you don't have one, go to http://www.rc-racing.com , create an account there, then go to the on-road conference, then to item #150, and finally to response #123. There are 33 new photos posted.

I think I can now shut down the computer and Photoshop, and move on to the next event. If anyone wants to start receiving the Starting Grid Magazine, you can sign up HERE.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, tis interesting that some are dissapointed more US drivers weren't in the A...
I think if you look at the results, the top 30 drivers would be the same top 30 (or VERY close) even if they ran on a track made of ice...

These guys are all so good, it doesn't matter what they drive or what they race on. Don't forget they still race on carpet in Europe too (LRP masters etc they use RUBBER on carpet!), which Baker and the like have done well at in the past.

So, a little less "Why didn't the US win?" and a little more "Cool, another country and a another driver has taken it out!"

It just adds to the international aspect of it all, wouldn't it be boring if US drivers won all the big races all the time?

Oh, and how easily we all forget US domination on the hard packed tracks other drivers aren't used to, in Florida at the off road worlds last year???

I love to watch the Worlds coz it's an International event, and it's so cool you never know who could win, especially since Marc wasn't on any favourites lists I saw before the event!

Oh, and thanks to RCTech and others for providing all the info for those of us around the world!
Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ngo8
i just want to add guys that europeans determine the champions with series points like the BRCA where here we get a roar champion out of one race where all races are important for points
like f1 and so on we dont have that here yet should we ? and i know racing i big here but in europe and asia its huge!!.
The BRCA championship is contested in a country no larger than California. It is easy to conduct a multi race championship when every driver is within driving distance of every venue.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Sure drivers who have never driven foam on carpet will not do very well the first time. Give them equal time and the results would likely be the same as they were in Florida.

Some may not want to believe it, but American drivers are not the best at this point in time.
What a true sportsman. His american himself and can admit america aint the best at this point in time. Sure theres alot of americans that are talented however there not the best when it comes to 1/10th on road. But there would be a completely different story if we were talking about OFF Road.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally posted by gijoe64
And that is why we didn't have a good showing at the Worlds.
Foam is very easy to drive and here in the US if it is easy let's do
it. I love racing on rubber it makes you a much better driver and
makes you learn how to setup your car, the Japanise and Euro driver are always running on rubber and they will be faster and that is how it's going to be untill we change the way we think about racing in the US.
Pretty wrong about different tracks...etc. Last year at 1/8 onroad, Surikarn turns up a day after qualifying... No partice and made it through the final through bump up. Until the final, he was the only one running an OS engine! The rest of the whole Worlds was running Nova or Sirio based engines! On the final he got up to 2nd place at one stage.

The rest of the field in the final have a solid week of partice over Surikarn!
Old 11-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Hey all!

Any videos to download?

Old 11-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Brian McGreevy

IMO, it is a hell of a lot harder to drive a modified sedan fast on a tight indoor track than on a big outdoor track like the worlds are held at. The really good drivers will show their stripes on the rug.
You shot down your own arguement with this piece of logic.

Cheers
Peter
Old 11-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

UUHHH...... I do believe the new IFMAR champ can and has shown his stuff on the "rug".

Brant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.