Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I can understand why people would want smaller spurs just so they wouldn't have to use giant pinions, but I don't see why the current 96t would stop anyone from being able to make as low a gearing as they would ever need.

I'm running 17.5BL rubber right now, and that requires a final drive of around 4.00 and a rollout in the area of 48-50mm just to be in the conservative range. So with the 96t spur, that means something in the range of 42t-44t pinion.

Yeah, its annoying to have to run those large pinions, but even with something as large as those, the wonderfully designed Mi3 motor mount still has plenty of room for larger ones, and even lower final ratios.

I just can't see a ratio that someone would need to hit that they wouldn't be able to get to with the 96t spur and the Mi3's motor mount.

With that said....wheres our 90t-92t-94t spurs at???
Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Well, first, you would have to be able to actually GET a Schumacher 96t spur.

Then, I think it would be something most people would be interested in to avoid buying pinions 40-50t for no real reason. Larger pinions, more rotating mass, belt/pinion interference, and just the general pain of having to use uncommon pinions and spurs would all be nice reasons to have a different internal pulley ratio. I'm sure there are more reasons that I'm not thinking of, but those mentioned are worth the trouble in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

looks like McGoo (bald guy) is adjusting Marker (hairy guy)
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Well, first, you would have to be able to actually GET a Schumacher 96t spur.
Ohh....okay. I didn't realize that the 96t spurs had become hard to come by.

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Then, I think it would be something most people would be interested in to avoid buying pinions 40-50t for no real reason. Larger pinions, more rotating mass, belt/pinion interference, and just the general pain of having to use uncommon pinions and spurs would all be nice reasons to have a different internal pulley ratio. I'm sure there are more reasons that I'm not thinking of, but those mentioned are worth the trouble in my opinion.
I don't know if you've noticed, but since the launch of 13.5 motors and especially now the 17.5, its the pinions below 40-50t that have become the "uncommon" size. I haven't used anything below 38 since I started running brushless, and I prefer to gear in the conservative range. And thats with me using a tiny 90t spur on my TA05 back in the day. I mean seriously, have you guys seen some of the pinions that the JRX-S Type R and Cyclone guys have to run!!! Those things are nearly spur gears!

Heck, I considered us Mi3 users lucky to only have to be in the low to mid 40t range.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I didnt see the need for such a small spur gear either until I put a 10.5 motor in my car and realized it was crammed right against the ESC.

It isnt that the 96 spurs are hard to come by, its that they arent yet out. They should become available early Feb and should be easy to get at that point.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by seaball
~ proper preparation prevents piss poor performance ~

i propose that jaybee (sweet jerome, as he likes to be called) goes over every team driver's car before each big event. new mounting, new wiring, and whatever balancing he deems necessary. it should be mandatory that all team cars look like (or near) those that jaybee has shown us. simply awesome, sir.

then, the cars will be shipped to randy caster (aka - randall 'the vandal' caster) , where he will properly shim and align them.

meanwhile, mcgoo's painting up shells for each of us (since jaybee's already busy stripping wires) ...

finally, the finished package will meet their owners at the race track, ready for battle.

so, what do think about this adam? can you mandate this? we'd be alot better off, let me tell you. instant demotion/suspension for anyone caught with a rat's nest or air in their shocks? what do you think?
You forgot the step where everyone sends their aluminum to Chris Goetz for a fresh coat of black anodizing.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
You forgot the step where everyone sends their aluminum to Chris Goetz for a fresh coat of black anodizing.
That's the step I'm most interested in.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

i propose that jaybee (sweet jerome, as he likes to be called) goes over every team driver's car before each big event. new mounting, new wiring, and whatever balancing he deems necessary. it should be mandatory that all team cars look like (or near) those that jaybee has shown us. simply awesome, sir.

then, the cars will be shipped to randy caster (aka - randall 'the vandal' caster) , where he will properly shim and align them.

meanwhile, mcgoo's painting up shells for each of us (since jaybee's already busy stripping wires) ...

finally, the finished package will meet their owners at the race track, ready for battle.

so, what do think about this adam? can you mandate this? we'd be alot better off, let me tell you. instant demotion/suspension for anyone caught with a rat's nest or air in their shocks? what do you think?
You are a very smart man! Lets take a majority vote!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
That's the step I'm most interested in.
Still coming to BCR tomorrow? I need to check out that SP ESC in person..
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I didnt see the need for such a small spur gear either until I put a 10.5 motor in my car and realized it was crammed right against the ESC.

It isnt that the 96 spurs are hard to come by, its that they arent yet out. They should become available early Feb and should be easy to get at that point.
I think they are already out Randy. I have about 4 spares in my box and one in each of my cars . . .
Maybe thye went through thier stock faster than expected and will be getting more, in early Feb???
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default layout

Heres what i came up with for layout on wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-dscf0719.jpg   Schumacher Corner-dscf0715.jpg  
Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

How's the front to rear balance though
How do you like these #'s Randy

Originally Posted by JayBee
Hey guys, do you fret over balancing your cars? I do
I use the four scale method and balancing the car yesterday, here's the numbers-

Left side
LF- 350g/ LR- 333g = 683grams

Right side
RF- 341g/ RR- 345g = 686grams

Cross weights (L-R)
LF- 350g/ RR- 345g = 695grams

Cross weights (R-L)
RF- 341g/ LR- 333g =674grams

Front to Rear %'s
LF (350g) + RF (341g) = 691grams - 50.5%

LR (333g) + RR (345g) = 678grams - 49.5%

Overall, I'm happy how it turned out but I'm not satisfied with the Cross weights. I got some more work to do.
Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Is it me, or is the plastic part above the bumper that says Schumacher, bent in your photo?

Skiddins
Jealous!! That's the new hotness brah
Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

..That's the funniest/best post I've seen in awhile!!!...
I owe you one for using my real name w/'SWEET' in front of it...no sweeteners nor additives added here brah *as I'm waggin' my hand atcha*
Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Still coming to BCR tomorrow? I need to check out that SP ESC in person..
Yeah I'll be there with FD and Ray Ray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.