Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default Experiments

Still playing with aluminum and graphite.

This spur gear adapter doubles as a pulley flange and is mounted closer to the back of the car in the Dirt Trix Mission chassis.

Old 10-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That looks great!!.. BTW has anyone mentioned that you really need to cut battery slots in the chassis. A better ballanced chassis makes very little since when you mount the heaviest components 3mm higher in the chassis....
Old 10-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default CG

Life is full of compromises, lowering the cg is a priority but when you don’t cut battery slots you don’t need a 3mm thick chassis. Nor do you need a thick upper deck. It doesn’t compensate entirely but it’s the design parameters we chose to set. Time will tell, so far so good.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK how much would it cost to get the chassis cut out of 3mm Graphite?? So I can cut my own battery slots out by hand..... Along with the sweey pulley/gear adaptor in 17 and 20 tooth configurations?????
Old 10-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Impact- Hey use Carbon fiber, i didnt really know if you were referring to graphite as carbon fiber but i would choose carbon fiber over graphite cuz it looks cooler

Dragon- hey man, you selling any of those things?? and how bout any roll center peice in billet?
Old 10-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Experimental

Hey guys,

For now all this stuff is experimental, production is very limited because it's hand made, We are trying a production run for the aluminum gear adapter and motor offset spacers, yes they will be purple (or purplonium as someone once explained).
If things work out then who knows, your interest, or lack of, will surely be a determining factor.

The web site has a discussion board and we will try to make the best possible use of your comments and suggestions.

Mission rules! on www.dirttrix.com
Old 10-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I just purchased the RW Pulley for the one-way, and the holes are not the same as the original pulley. How do you mount the pulley?
Old 10-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dragon.....I have a question how do you secure the cells to the chassis if there is no slots.....I mean wont the pack just come sliding out with out any slots? And you can get away with using 2mm graphite and cutting out the slots and keeping it stiff by using a better grade graphite.....but this cost more money so thats why there is 3mm chassis' to get the stiffness of higher grade stuff with less cost. This is a nice idea that you have but Im kinda leary of mounting my motor 6mm off the motor mount on a spacer.....hopefully it works and stays straight.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

rcfeind.....I came across the samething last weekend when I was putting one together for another racer and all I did was make new holes with my reamer and it worked fine. You only need to make 3 new holes and they are in a triangle shap/spacing and it was not too hard to get done corectly. I dont know why this is like this if the 1way that he had was old and the gear is made for a newer style one or what.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted By Kevin K rcfeind.....I came across the samething last weekend when I was putting one together for another racer and all I did was make new holes with my reamer and it worked fine. You only need to make 3 new holes and they are in a triangle shap/spacing and it was not too hard to get done corectly. I dont know why this is like this if the 1way that he had was old and the gear is made for a newer style one or what.
Kevin K, did you just ream the hole to make it larger or did you have to shape the hole into a triangle?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

correct, the new R.w oneway pulley is designed to work with the newer revised oneways centre plate. Just drill3 new holes as Kevin said.

we have our National titles next week, My team mate and I head interstate for the week. both running open Modified. It is gonna be a tough event, a number of drivers from N.Z are in attentance, including 2 national champs, plus all of australias best steerers. They run Foam tires interstate, which will be a determining factor on how competitive I am going to be, as I have never raced on foam tires until preparation for this event.

Rebuilding my car this week. everything which isnt hopped up is being replaced.
I was suprised to see 3 of those little kingpins were bent (screw into the underside of the hubs). I am going to have to look into the Titanium versions of these, as I continually find these bent on inspection.

Can anyone recommend traction lotions for Foam Tires?..I will be running Ufra 40 Fronts and either 40 rears or 35 rears.

I have been using trinity red dot, this seems very strong, but not consistent throughout the race, the effect seems to diminish after 5-10 laps.

Others I can try is death grip and the one made by orion for foam tires.

any suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited by King-G; 10-23-2002 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

I made 3 holes in a triangle around the gear......one at the top and one at the lower left and right.....does this make sence.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default Experimental

Kevin K,

I use KCI graphite, I've seen and worked with a lot of graphite and this is good stuff. www.kcinc.com
I have two 2mm thick 4mm wide battery guides bolted to the frame, it holds the batteries in and allows a forward battery position +9mm.
The motor is spaced out 10.50mm, I thought I would have to machine a new motor mount but the spacers works just great, they hold the motor rigid and true.

Dirt Trix Racing
Old 10-23-2002, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Dragon.....Im sure that the stuff you are using is good but Im also sure that there is better stuff out there and its just a matter of cost. My point was that you said that the slots cut in the chassis for the cells reduces the redigity of the chassis but that depends on the materal that you use. You can get stuff that is very stiff and thin but its not cheap and Im not 100% sure that you would want the battery the heaviest part of the car sitting high on the side thats already going to be heavy. But if it works out for you great that would be awsome and if these go into mass production I would like to get one and try it out.

King-G.....What makes the suntan lotion work well on the foams outside is the "lanalen"(sp) in the there. This will open the foam of the tires up and also make them sticky. I know that you can buy just lanalen over the counter its a lotion of some kind and this is what you should look into. It works well on its own or in combo with another traction compound like Paragon.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

You guys had some interesting action going on there for a while....LOL No matter what happens this is still the BEST thread for info. If I picked up a mission right now I would already know what set up to go to! Made my first A-main at a nationals running a Schuie.

PW- What settings are you using for your Keyence for mod asphalt and carpet. If it's a very detail answer please private message the answer to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.