Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
VTEC 27's are great, but I'm saving mine for the Carpetwars 2 day event.
They are rarer than rocking horse sh*t at the mo!

Skiddins
Heard that! The tire shortage is killer! It really sucks that Take-off is going out of business. I really liked those tires.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
CA
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RBLove
Any of you know if the 10.5 SpeedPassion has adjustable timing? I found out today that the 13.5 is fixed.
It's fixed.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would take a second look at what your reading about Take Off because they by no means are out of business.

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
Heard that! The tire shortage is killer! It really sucks that Take-off is going out of business. I really liked those tires.

the SP 10.5 has fixed timing
Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
I would take a second look at what your reading about Take Off because they by no means are out of business.
I have been led to belive that Take Off have been bought by another company, but the Japanese like to shut everything down during the change over then start all over again. Just means there is a delay at the moment due to unusual circumstances.

Just hope they keep the compounds the same if the above is true!

Still means there is a shortage at the moment as lots are being kept back due to it being the control tyre for the LRP Carpet Masters, would be embarassing for them to not have any of their own tyres!

Skiddins
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Is there a chart or something out there that can tell us what toe-in we're running with what shim combo? I mean, with the Mi3, I usually have no idea what toe I'm running.
math. i can make a chart, but here's the math. (don't be scared, it's about 8th grade level, maybe )

the holes for the vertical screws in our pivot blocks are 48mm apart (roughly), and that's where the 'pivot' for inboard toe is. that length is the hypotenuse. the difference in shims (f/r) is the opposite side (of a triangle). opposite over hypotenuse = sin(x). so x = invsin(shims/48). (use your calculator)

eg: 2mm/48mm = .0417. invsin(.0417) = 2.39* (approximately, 2.4*). therefore (as stated in the back of the manual). each millimeter of inboard toe is equal to 1.2* (or i think they wrote that each 0.5mm = 0.6*)

for the rear end, we reverse the blocks, so you can't just count up the front shims and divide. the reversed blocks appeared to give a 3.2mm (.125") offset (when i measured the hingepin at the front and rear). therefore arcsin (3.2/48) = 3.8*

so the unshimmed rear has 3.8* of toe per side, and every half millimeter shim used at the front blocks removes 0.6*.

that was all measured (and based on my memory from last may). maybe 'ca' can read the prints and give us some better numbers.

- yvonne durkowski -

so, guess the chart is easy, now.

shims vs. toe

0.00mm = 3.8*
0.5mm = 3.2*
1.0mm = 2.6*
1.5mm = 2.0*
2.0mm = 1.4*
2.5mm = 0.8*
3.0mm = 0.2*

now raise your hand if you just skipped to the bottom. (and we can do some extra credit at the next big race).
Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Seaball, it looks like things are slow at work!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I really don't want to spread rumors but I want to make sure that I have all the correct info. I heard that the chemical "Sorex" is no longer being made. It is used in a ton of current tires. That is actually what makes the RP30 such a great tire. I don't know anything about any company going out of business but the chemical is going to run out. Some companies like Sorex have a good stock pile of the chemical but they will eventually run out. I heard all of this from a guy at the local Hobby shop that. He is actually the guy that calls all the distributors and individual companies and talks to their representatives. I have had no personal conversations with anyone from any company but I really need to know the facts because I want to beat all of you this year. If you have any creditable info please let me know.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jonas_h
ist there coming a new mi3?

hey!!

yes this is only anodized....i think it's the car of andy schuster
but you are right with the question "new mi3?"...someone told me there will come a Mi3.5 with all the new parts like chassis, topdeck, lw bulkheads.....but i can't confirm this
Old 02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Seaball,

Check your PMs
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That would be very correct.

And as of right now there is no other info, if there is we will make it public...

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
I really don't want to spread rumors but I want to make sure that I have all the correct info. I heard that the chemical "Sorex" is no longer being made. It is used in a ton of current tires. That is actually what makes the RP30 such a great tire. I don't know anything about any company going out of business but the chemical is going to run out. Some companies like Sorex have a good stock pile of the chemical but they will eventually run out. I heard all of this from a guy at the local Hobby shop that. He is actually the guy that calls all the distributors and individual companies and talks to their representatives. I have had no personal conversations with anyone from any company but I really need to know the facts because I want to beat all of you this year. If you have any creditable info please let me know.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks Adam. Now I don't feel like a girl in High School spreading rumors.

What other companie will be making tires out of different chemicals? What is the story with RP tires?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Big Features
Hey Seaball,

Check your PMs
my pm is crapped out. it says i have 1 unread, but nothing there is unread. resend, sir. resend. or email me at [email protected]
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brianrice
Seaball, it looks like things are slow at work!
suckitrice! look, some folks like the 'how' and 'why'. i like to appease them all.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My Email is:

[email protected]

- Fredrick skindernutts
Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Looking at that setup sheet, I see two things. First is the rear toe. Our car seems pretty sensitive to rear toe changes on asphalt. You have quite a bit with that setup. I did a lot of testing with rear toe checking tire temps. What I found was that with more rear toe, the rear tires were heating up way too much way too quickly because they're fighting each other all the time. I ran the shims just like you have. That gives a hair over 3º. My rear tires were 25ºF hotter than the fronts and the car was snapping loose just like you're describing. I added another 1mm shim to the forward pivot block. That gave me at little under 2.5º. That wasn't enough toe. The rear wanted to step out going into the corner. But the tire temps came down drastically even though the rear was still sliding from being loose in. I went halfway and went to 2.5mm in the front block with a 1mm in the rear. This gave about 2.75º. The rear tires were now 15ºF cooler than the fronts and the snap loose feeling went away.

The second thing is the shim under the outer rear ball stud. I'd take that out if the rear toe doesn't help.
I understand, but the tyres were coming off at the same temp, except the front left which takes most of the strain due to a long sweeper, not helped by the layout we were running, even that front was only 3 degC higher at 28 degC. All the others were around 25 degC on Sorex 28's.

Skiddins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.