R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #22921
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,216
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

If any of you guys need stuff to race this weekend let me know today no later than 5pm so i can get it to you by the weekend.
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #22922
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,114
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

I have not ever messed with this on my MI3 since I put in the 116 spur gear but will any other spur fit my MI3 other than the ones shown for the car. I need a smaller spur for the weekend but won't have time to get a spur gear ordered and here before I leave Friday to race (My own fault for waiting on this).

If I need to adapt a gear some like countersinking or reaming a little that is fine.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #22923
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,934
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I have not ever messed with this on my MI3 since I put in the 116 spur gear but will any other spur fit my MI3 other than the ones shown for the car. I need a smaller spur for the weekend but won't have time to get a spur gear ordered and here before I leave Friday to race (My own fault for waiting on this).

If I need to adapt a gear some like countersinking or reaming a little that is fine.
try this onehttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN136&P=7
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #22924
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,934
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
If any of you guys need stuff to race this weekend let me know today no later than 5pm so i can get it to you by the weekend.
Ill be there to pick up my box of goodies
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #22925
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,114
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Thanks I think I can get one from my shop. I figure if it don't work not a huge deal but I would like to run a smaller spur so my motor is not so far forward.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #22926
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,216
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

The only ones listed to work are the 96, 114, 116, 118 in 64 pitch, I'm sure there are some other gears that "with a little help" I.E. countersinking, reaming and otherwise you can make fit, but i haven't been introduced to anyone that has done it yet?

lol I stand corrected, Marcos has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I have not ever messed with this on my MI3 since I put in the 116 spur gear but will any other spur fit my MI3 other than the ones shown for the car. I need a smaller spur for the weekend but won't have time to get a spur gear ordered and here before I leave Friday to race (My own fault for waiting on this).

If I need to adapt a gear some like countersinking or reaming a little that is fine.
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #22927
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,114
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
The only ones listed to work are the 96, 114, 116, 118 in 64 pitch, I'm sure there are some other gears that "with a little help" I.E. countersinking, reaming and otherwise you can make fit, but i haven't been introduced to anyone that has done it yet?

lol I stand corrected, Marcos has!
The lack of timing on my part is the problem because this would be avoidable if I just call Monday like I was going to and place an order with guys. All my fault but I guess I can get creative now with fitting in another gear.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #22928
Tech Regular
 
Tickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default weight balance with Lipo...

Hi Guys - I've been only racing for a short time and the Mi3 for a couple of months. After looking though the old posts it seems you need to add alot of weight to the battery side of the car to balance it with a Lipo.
I run 13.5 BL and the weight diffence with a Lipo is alot (car turns different right or left).

My track does not allow Lipos to race, but I can practice with it and race with the 4200's.

Should I just stick on alot of weights to the Lipo to make it weigh the same as the 4200?

What do the guys do that race with Lipos to balance their cars?(seems that the Losi with it's batts in the center has an advantage with a Lipo)

Thanks for any info!
__________________
Back in the TC race!
Horsham RC!
Trains and Lanes in Easton, PA
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #22929
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Well, personally, I wouldn't want to practice with something I'm not going to be racing with. Even if you do just add weights to the battery to make it weigh the same as a 4200, the power is different, how high that weight is mounted is different, the distribution of the weight may be different, (how far out away from the center of the chassis may be different, etc...) all of which can change the way the car handles. If it were me, I'd run one or the other. And since your track doesn't allow Lipo's yet, I'd stick to the 4200's until they're leagal to race. But if you really want to run the Lipo in practice, yes, you can add weight to the pack. Just try and add it as low and to the inside as you can. And make sure that when you switch from one to the other, that you check your tweak and make sure that the car is putting equal pressure on the tires.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #22930
Tech Regular
 
Tickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr View Post
Well, personally, I wouldn't want to practice with something I'm not going to be racing with. Even if you do just add weights to the battery to make it weigh the same as a 4200, the power is different, how high that weight is mounted is different, the distribution of the weight may be different, (how far out away from the center of the chassis may be different, etc...) all of which can change the way the car handles. If it were me, I'd run one or the other. And since your track doesn't allow Lipo's yet, I'd stick to the 4200's until they're leagal to race. But if you really want to run the Lipo in practice, yes, you can add weight to the pack. Just try and add it as low and to the inside as you can. And make sure that when you switch from one to the other, that you check your tweak and make sure that the car is putting equal pressure on the tires.

Thanks - That is what I've been doing so far. As of right now, I need as much track time as I can get and that would be easier with a Lipo.
__________________
Back in the TC race!
Horsham RC!
Trains and Lanes in Easton, PA
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #22931
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I understand. Like I said, just try to make sure the weight isn't just hanging way off the side of the car. Then, even if the pack does weigh the same, the distribution is going to be much farther out away from the center line and it'll actually act like it's heavier than a 4200.

The quality of your track time is far more important that the quantity.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #22932
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,771
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
Hi Guys - I've been only racing for a short time and the Mi3 for a couple of months. After looking though the old posts it seems you need to add alot of weight to the battery side of the car to balance it with a Lipo.
I run 13.5 BL and the weight diffence with a Lipo is alot (car turns different right or left).

My track does not allow Lipos to race, but I can practice with it and race with the 4200's.

Should I just stick on alot of weights to the Lipo to make it weigh the same as the 4200?

What do the guys do that race with Lipos to balance their cars?(seems that the Losi with it's batts in the center has an advantage with a Lipo)

Thanks for any info!
If your talking about the Horsham track. We dont care what you run. Lipo is fine, just show up and run.
__________________
Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - RocheUSA - MonTech - Sanwa - BSR Racing Tires - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #22933
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,216
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

JB, the carpet chassis is 77 grams, i'm sorry it took so long to get the info for you
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #22934
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
JB, the carpet chassis is 77 grams, i'm sorry it took so long to get the info for you
In case anyone's interested, the standard chassis is 47g.

No wonder even after the Ti screws and lightweight bulkheads my car is still heavy with the 2.5mm chassis.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #22935
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

At least the weight is as low as it can get!

I'd be interested to see the (small) difference in the shock towers too. If I get a chance I may post it up.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corner Dots anyone? RCGaryK Electric On-Road 19 07-03-2006 11:12 PM
On the Corner RC-HPI R/C Photography 0 08-02-2005 10:53 PM
Snowbirds Around the Corner scarecrow Florida Racing 20 01-27-2005 10:43 AM
1/12th Corner GT Racer Singapore R/C Racers 26 03-04-2004 06:59 AM
Shumacher Corner in Aus jamesbaxter_81 Australian Racing 6 01-08-2004 02:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net