Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
HI, i would definately not use motor spray. on asphalt it does sometimes work, but for carpet i dont like to use it. lighter fluid is a good thing to use, also you can just use sauce. but i would say that motor spray is one of the worst things for carpet that you can use.
Thanks
Do you like Buggy Grip for cleaning?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I definately think that a 1900 rotor is too heavy for any class or motor design. on my meeter 1600 is on higher end for what performs.
Paul, just wondering what you (and EA) are using for a rotor meter?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Dane
I have used buggy grip to clean and sauce on asphalt before, but i have never used it for anything on carpet. it wouldnt suprise me if it worked though.

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Paul, just wondering what you (and EA) are using for a rotor meter?

Thanks
I use a I-Gauss, i assume that EA uses the same but i dont know.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

I use a I-Gauss, i assume that EA uses the same but i dont know.
WOW, 1600 on a I-G, guess I better buy a new meter, I don't think Iv'e ever seen anything that high. LOL. Do the 2 of you get similar readings on the same rotors, or have you ever compared? (1600 wow )
Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Gravity RC

WOW, 1600 on a I-G, guess I better buy a new meter, I don't think Iv'e ever seen anything that high. LOL. Do the 2 of you get similar readings on the same rotors, or have you ever compared? (1600 wow )
1600 is on the high end of what can work, I dont prefer it in all situations. the production 13.5, 17.5 TP motors will not have a 1600 rotor, for those winds it would be way too much magnetic field.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

1600 is on the high end of what can work, I dont prefer it in all situations. the production 13.5, 17.5 TP motors will not have a 1600 rotor, for those winds it would be way too much magnetic field.
Glad you cleared that up. Everyone would be a little upset if it wasn't like that out of the box.

A case of those motors with 1600 rotors would probably pull a small aircraft out of the sky.

Good luck at the Birds.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

I definately think that a 1900 rotor is too heavy for any class or motor design. on my meeter 1600 is on higher end for what performs.
A case of those motors with 1600 rotors would probably pull a small aircraft out of the sky.

Good luck at the Birds.
My Corally Red rotor;

I have found that with my ESC (Black Diamond), the high torque motors have a far better resilience to over/under gearing.
No matter what I gear at the motor comes off at 60degC max.

I found that using the same ESC with an X12 I had to gear a lot lower (7.60 compared to 5.28 with the Corally when running 10.5) and drop a profile as the temps on the motor were getting stupid.
I can't remember what ESC you run Paul, but when I had a Tekin I got fed up of fiddling with revs and turbo etc.
With the BD, noting can touch it coming out of a corner.

Skiddins
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Skiddins,

Yes that rotor will measure that high as its a mod rotor. It has a smaller internal shaft that allows for magnet material. Thats not allowed in spec classes in the US. Mod rotors are made this way and when Paul talks about 1600 gauss he is talking a Mod rotor. Most spec rotors are in the 1300 range

EA
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dane
I've used BG to clean and on the next run used Jack to clean- both times tires were sauced with Jack and I couldn't tell any difference. Tested it at 2 different tracks, so yes, BG works great for cleaning buildup on asphalt and carpet.

Hi Paulie! Measurements Paulie, MEASUREMENTS!!! LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You want Paul's measurements? What?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Gravity RC

sorry big dog. ill get it to you.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Skiddins,

Yes that rotor will measure that high as its a mod rotor. It has a smaller internal shaft that allows for magnet material. Thats not allowed in spec classes in the US. Mod rotors are made this way and when Paul talks about 1600 gauss he is talking a Mod rotor. Most spec rotors are in the 1300 range

EA
Thanks
That explains it, and having looked at the rules I can see where the difference lies

Out of interest, is it possible to make a high torque rotor but within Stock specs?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Thanks
That explains it, and having looked at the rules I can see where the difference lies

Out of interest, is it possible to make a high torque rotor but within Stock specs?
There are limits due to materials and amount of material. I have seen some of the newer rotors in the 1400 range but they are few and far between. And even at that seem to be almost to strong for spec classes here.

EA
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

HI, i would definately not use motor spray. on asphalt it does sometimes work, but for carpet i dont like to use it. lighter fluid is a good thing to use, also you can just use sauce. but i would say that motor spray is one of the worst things for carpet that you can use.
Paul when you say "motor cleaner is one of the worst things you can use on tires for carpet" would this include non-chlorinated brake cleaner?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks

EA: Thanks for the help!!
Hey Paul,

I have never tried using lighter fluid to clean the tires and i was wondering how would you go about applying it to the tires to clean and how long to let it set? Advice will be appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.