Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
All I know is that CRC better send kn7671 one of these for free for creating this thread. All this publicity is going to cause this speedo to sell like hotcakes when it is finally released!
Damn straight, that was my plot all along...

All kidding aside, I've said several times I will be lining up to purchase one if everything checks out with this ESC. No reason to shun better technology, it is all welcome.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
All I know is that CRC better send kn7671 one of these for free for creating this thread. All this publicity is going to cause this speedo to sell like hotcakes when it is finally released!

I was thinking the same thing. This is GREAT free advertising. I think this thread has done well to debate the issues....but how many of us are are curious to see if the ESC is really that good?

...Me
Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

if it is as good on a big track as it is on a small track then it will be the speedo for beginning of 2010 but sooner or later others will come out with a better one and it starts all over again
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've found a use for CH3, I'm going to paint the switch bright yellow and put a KERS label over it. Then whenever I need an excuse, I'll push the button. Nothing will happen, but I will feel so much better about my racing ability.

The rotating mass isn't storing the amount of regenerative energy required to make an RC car gain 10% more HP at the touch of a button or even at the end of its acceleration phase. In fact you'd have a net loss as the car is electric to begin with due to the slaving effect of trying to charge one pack while pulling a load from the main power source. If Tekin would put out a firmware version that optimizes timing continuously instead of us banging our heads against laptops, we'd probably see fairly equal performance out of the 2. I think we're only weeks away from finding out.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theisgroup
5.2.2 Vehicle batteries must be securely mounted. ROAR recommends limiting the radio
receiver battery pack in all vehicles to 6 volts. This is usually accomplished by the use
of five (5) NiCd/NiMh cells or four alkaline cells. Slightly higher voltages (Maximum 6
NiCd/NiMh cells or 2 Lithium technology cells) may be used for direct receiver power
but this can result in an increased risk of receiver failure by over voltage. Receiver and
servo power for electric vehicles may come from an electronic speed controller
equipped with Battery Elimination Circuitry (BEC) or from a separate battery pack used
for this purpose only. (See rule 1.5.19).

per the rules a 2 cell lithium can only be direct connected to the rx and not the speedo. which make this speedo configuration illegal, if it were a ROAR race
That rule needs some looking at then because that would also mean you can't use a regulator outside of the ESC to cut down the voltage to a level safe for your RX as the pack would no longer be directly connected to the reciever.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Anyone that thinks they can buy ($) any of the stuff full sponsor drivers get is an idiot

you think you get the same batteries, no

you think if you ask tekin makes the boost come on in .3 not .5 , no

you think you get the foam in the tires they have been hoarding for years, no

you think you get the same power rotor, no

wake up guys
Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I've found a use for CH3, I'm going to paint the switch bright yellow and put a KERS label over it. Then whenever I need an excuse, I'll push the button. Nothing will happen, but I will feel so much better about my racing ability.

The rotating mass isn't storing the amount of regenerative energy required to make an RC car gain 10% more HP at the touch of a button or even at the end of its acceleration phase. In fact you'd have a net loss as the car is electric to begin with due to the slaving effect of trying to charge one pack while pulling a load from the main power source. If Tekin would put out a firmware version that optimizes timing continuously instead of us banging our heads against laptops, we'd probably see fairly equal performance out of the 2. I think we're only weeks away from finding out.
i don't believe this is true. there are several group of people working with low voltage brushless motor controller that are feeding back emf of the power to drive the motor controller. just do a search, this is the accepted method for improaving performance of low voltage solutions. they consider low voltage in the 3.5-3.7v range because at less then 3.5 electric circuit that control brushless motors tend to fail.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
If Tekin would put out a firmware version that optimizes timing continuously instead of us banging our heads against laptops, we'd probably see fairly equal performance out of the 2. I think we're only weeks away from finding out.
I sure hope they do.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
Anyone that thinks they can buy ($) any of the stuff full sponsor drivers get is an idiot

wake up guys

i can't speak for anyone else. but I run the same car dumas has. I run the same motor that dumas ran. I run the same speedo that dumas ran, I ran the same software that dumas ran. he ran my motor and i did the programming on his speedo because he was too lazy to walk 5 tables over to see randy. the only thing that dumas ran, that I did not was the batteries and in the 13.5 1/12 class he ran the stock batts. I run at the same track dumas runs. we have swapped cars in heats and he took my car to carpet nats. i can tell you the only think that I could not buy was the new smc 1s 50c lipo pack
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

the only thing I found about being "available" were for batteries. the rule states that batts need to be available from 3 retailers
Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i can't speak for anyone else. but I run the same car dumas has. I run the same motor that dumas ran. I run the same speedo that dumas ran, I ran the same software that dumas ran. he ran my motor and i did the programming on his speedo because he was too lazy to walk 5 tables over to see randy. the only thing that dumas ran, that I did not was the batteries and in the 13.5 1/12 class he ran the stock batts. I run at the same track dumas runs. we have swapped cars in heats and he took my car to carpet nats. i can tell you the only think that I could not buy was the new smc 1s 50c lipo pack
And Dumas can take my car with my equipment (batteries included) and run 3 to 5 more laps than I can on my best day. I doubt that fancy ESC will help me with that. However if CRC would like to send me one to try it out I will be racing with Dumas this weekend.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

They do and mine is. Randy reprogrammed mine as well as anyone else who wanted it at the IIC for .3 with his version of the software.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

wake up guys
You sir are the true idiot with misinformed post like this that do nothing but spread propaganda and false statements.

EA
Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gain Time
And Dumas can take my car with my equipment (batteries included) and run 3 to 5 more laps than I can on my best day. I doubt that fancy ESC will help me with that. However if CRC would like to send me one to try it out I will be racing with Dumas this weekend.
i would have to agree. my goal for this season is to be 1lap down.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
You sir are the true idiot with misinformed post like this that do nothing but spread propaganda and false statements.

EA
1+

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.