Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RLMW VQ
i have 199 and can only go down to .5
You probably only have 199-1 and not 199-2.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
With zero delay, the timing would keep ramping up without delay. And obviously, with delay, the timing ramp would slightly delay after full throttle before it would ramp up. This would mean several feet on a track before the extra "boost" kicked in.
Yeah but I assume that is Tekin v Tekin. It sounds like anyone with a Tekin at the race had access to the change. But was the latest Tekin firmware alot faster than other speedos?
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Man I have heard it all now.. Please kill this thread.. We had to put up with this tekin stuff last carpet season.. I know I dont want to buy a new speedo every few weeks.. I get a new download and set to go again this year.. Thank you tekin.. Everyone else needs to catch up.. This product of the week stuff is what keeps more people out this game.. They get there butt kicked and feel they need the newest most expensive stuff out there..In all reality they at most levels.. There was a guy in one of A mains with a Yokomo SD.. Thats old in rc terms..
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
and congradulations on yours also.
Thank you sir. TeamTurtle Master all the way!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
With zero delay, the timing would keep ramping up without delay. And obviously, with delay, the timing ramp would slightly delay after full throttle before it would ramp up. This would mean several feet on a track before the extra "boost" kicked in.
No your wrong if you add the turbo too quick it actually hurts you more then helps you. U have to wait till the motor get to a certain rpm before boost becomes efficient.

Brushed motors anyone LOl
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Yeah but I assume that is Tekin v Tekin. It sounds like anyone with a Tekin at the race had access to the change. But was the latest Tekin firmware alot faster than other speedos?
I wasn't there either. But I would say no. I switched away from Tekin and I'm very happy with what I have and won't switch back.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
No your wrong if you add the turbo too quick it actually hurts you more then helps you. U have to wait till the motor get to a certain rpm before boost becomes efficient.

Brushed motors anyone LOl
I think that all depends if you need the motor to keep pulling or not. Too many variables to make the call. Large track, small track, etc. I know the SPX keeps pulling on profile 8. The Tekin with zero delay had the same effect.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If the thread was started based on what went on at IIC, it had nothing to do with Tekin. That is all I am saying on the matter and I agree with Joel in that this thread should disappear. It is now the past and should just remain that way.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Fill me in what was going down with speedos in vegas.
My understanding was that CRC had something that had people wanting to have the motors torn down and tech'd. I was there but didn't see this "meeting" I was told about. On top of that the Tekins were running really good with Randy being there giving all of us there who ran Tekin fantastic support. The new ESC CRC had in their car looked pretty good, small like the tekin with what looked to me like some sort of heat sink on the top, and it looked like it ran extremely well. Since there is no rule governing software and even if there were it would be impossible to tech...I have no issue with CRC using a kick butt ESC. My Tekin runs great and when it needs to be changed it's only a download away for me
Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Run Mod and your problem is solved no need for boost or timing advancement
Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
Ban all electronic timing (mechanical only) ie. endbell.
or
Eventually they will do all they can do to the speedo so everyone will have access to equal equipment.
We'll have to wait until the 2nd becomes the reality. A ban on software timing is pretty much impossible to do when you can have hidden profiles that re-enable default settings after the race is done making it impossible to tech. This is what happened in paintball when electronic triggers became mainstream and the only thing that industry could do was make it all legal.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think there should be rules on esc's. There's really no way to teching it unless if each esc, made from around the world, made a port for tech to plug into the check it at the tech table. I don't see that happening. The only really way would be to have handout esc's. But I don't think anyone wants that. That adds to cost of races and other issues.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Even that wouldn't do it Mac...that would only tell you what profile the ESC was currently in and what settings that profile had...it wouldn't account for hidden profiles that can be easily disabled before tech.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The idea of banning timed esc's is not practical. Then you really will have rampant cheating and the "hacked" or "modded" speedos some prophesied.

There are only three choices:

1. Open speedos we have now.

2. One single brand, single manufacturer spec speedo. Works great on the local level but can you imagine the lawsuits from other manufacturers if ROAR mandates a single speedo? Not to mention the possibility of hacking it.

3. Go back to brushed.

In any form of racing, cheating is reduced and the playing field more "fair" when the rules are more open. You don't see these problems in mod. Sure spec racing can seem more competitive since the difference between the fast guys and the slow ones is less but the gap in terms of what you can do to get faster is far greater. At least now if you are getting out-powered you can go buy the latest speedo or get a Tekin guy to hook you up with the software. What are you going to do if the faster guys are using a custom, cheater chip in their spec speedo that you can't get and can't be teched?

Man, and people wonder why I prefer nitro racing.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DHMOTORSPORTS
Man I have heard it all now.. Please kill this thread.. We had to put up with this tekin stuff last carpet season.. I know I dont want to buy a new speedo every few weeks.. I get a new download and set to go again this year.. Thank you tekin.. Everyone else needs to catch up.. This product of the week stuff is what keeps more people out this game.. They get there butt kicked and feel they need the newest most expensive stuff out there..In all reality they at most levels.. There was a guy in one of A mains with a Yokomo SD.. Thats old in rc terms..
Originally Posted by Kenny L
I second that. This thread should be deleted
Originally Posted by JoelV
Please lock this. And don't bring it up again.
These calls for locking the thread are appalling. It's a discussion forum.

If you don't like it, don't look at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.