R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #931
Tech Adept
 
hungoverracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In B.F.E.
Posts: 110
Default

Hells Yea!!!!! just got mine in today... too bad tho it is in other town. I will have to wait till tomarrow to get it to put it together for race this weekend....
__________________
AKA "Billybob"
Billybob racing
T.O.P., Team Check Point, Futaba And were I spend all my time at Mid America RC Raceway , Jonesboro, AR
hungoverracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #932
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
Step 08

When connecting #mold1-02-1 to mold1-01-1 (ackerman rack) use a 3x8mm screw rather than the supplied 3x6mm screw.

This will allow easy adjustment of the rack without separation of the rack due the the extra few threads.
+1

Another good idea is to glue the nut into the ackerman plate so if you do unscrew it completely it's not a PITA to get back together
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #933
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All 48 states...
Posts: 2,053
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

EJ...you have mail...
__________________
Schuurspeed / Aero-model / Gear One / LG1
www.OHRCR.com
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #934
Tech Elite
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 2,738
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default

anyone know where or when we could get the aluminum steering blocks i've seen in a few pictures?
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #935
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default PHOTON BUILD TIP

Step 23

When installing the tie rods pay special attention to the direction in which to snap them on. One side of the hole is bigger than the other. Snap it on large opening first. This may seem obvious to most, but this is not covered in the manual and for some this may be their first experience with captured ball ends.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #936
Tech Addict
 
Patriiick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: France, Land of the French Fries.
Posts: 587
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Build review

Sorry no pics for now but here are my impressions from the build

The good

The CF chassis is standard but at least the weaving in the CF is straight (not always the case !!).

Nylon parts fit and finish is tamiya-like - no need to re-drill or adjust- or even shim anything !! (impressed especially about that last part).
The durability remains to be tested but the quality of nylon is superior to many brands and comparable to xray or kyosho which are the best in the market today imho.

Diff is totally amazing, large diameter rings to spread pressure.. It s X-ray like and sealed !! just awesome. Be careful when assembling the beville washers..
Front spool is super light ! Make sure you tighten the screws all the way or the front unis will rub when you assemble the front end.
We ll see about durability but it looks healthy !

Steering rack is great, very accessible if needed.. well thought out !
Remakably no play in the ball ends and cups, and no need to pop out since the cups are open. Every suspension feels light and solid at the same time.
The arms look and feel great... very tough !!

sway bar mount is very smart, and acts as the support for the screws for the shock tower. Sway bars are both same front are rear stock.

Shocks are the best.. ever.. tamiya/kyosho tf-5 stallion like.. just perfect.
built mine with zero rebound.

Lipo balancing parts are great, there is also a support for sub-c cells that is specific (nice!).

The bad

The spur gear holder, although smart because it keeps the spur assembly narrow, seems a tad flimsy. I doubt it will support several spur gear mounting/unmounting operations and i m afraid the threads in the nylon will wear out.
For me, this is THE part that might need improvement in the whole car (alum version please).

On the other hand, thank you for making it Kimbrough spurs compatible and not proprietary !

The instructions are awesome and horrible at the same time. Awesome because they are complete, detailed, with setup tips, completely precise and thorough. Horrible because they are not beginner-oriented at all since they are not completely visual. Many operations are to be READ and not SEEN.
Not a big issue for me, but dont build this as your first-ever rc car..

Overall, the car feels very nice because it does not feel like TOP cut corners, or half-baked this.
It has got everything a high end touring car needs and there is nothing that feels like "hmmm , i m not sure about this".

It is perfectly on par to a xray, a 416, or a Cyclone. You really feel like every part has been thought out and many build features are unique.

Very happy about the purchase.. let s see on track next weekend..
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #937
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,978
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Can Josh r EJ comment on the small 2.5mm top deck screws, that use a 1.5mm driver? The heads are very soft and you cant get a good torque on them, and as a result it feels like it holds a tweak in the chassis.
__________________
12th Scale - The premier class (if you can make runtime)
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #938
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriiick View Post
Sorry no pics for now but here are my impressions from the build

The good

The CF chassis is standard but at least the weaving in the CF is straight (not always the case !!).

Nylon parts fit and finish is tamiya-like - no need to re-drill or adjust- or even shim anything !! (impressed especially about that last part).
The durability remains to be tested but the quality of nylon is superior to many brands and comparable to xray or kyosho which are the best in the market today imho.

Diff is totally amazing, large diameter rings to spread pressure.. It s X-ray like and sealed !! just awesome. Be careful when assembling the beville washers..
Front spool is super light ! Make sure you tighten the screws all the way or the front unis will rub when you assemble the front end.
We ll see about durability but it looks healthy !

Steering rack is great, very accessible if needed.. well thought out !
Remakably no play in the ball ends and cups, and no need to pop out since the cups are open. Every suspension feels light and solid at the same time.
The arms look and feel great... very tough !!

sway bar mount is very smart, and acts as the support for the screws for the shock tower. Sway bars are both same front are rear stock.

Shocks are the best.. ever.. tamiya/kyosho tf-5 stallion like.. just perfect.
built mine with zero rebound.

Lipo balancing parts are great, there is also a support for sub-c cells that is specific (nice!).

The bad

The spur gear holder, although smart because it keeps the spur assembly narrow, seems a tad flimsy. I doubt it will support several spur gear mounting/unmounting operations and i m afraid the threads in the nylon will wear out.
For me, this is THE part that might need improvement in the whole car (alum version please).

On the other hand, thank you for making it Kimbrough spurs compatible and not proprietary !

The instructions are awesome and horrible at the same time. Awesome because they are complete, detailed, with setup tips, completely precise and thorough. Horrible because they are not beginner-oriented at all since they are not completely visual. Many operations are to be READ and not SEEN.
Not a big issue for me, but dont build this as your first-ever rc car..

Overall, the car feels very nice because it does not feel like TOP cut corners, or half-baked this.
It has got everything a high end touring car needs and there is nothing that feels like "hmmm , i m not sure about this".

It is perfectly on par to a xray, a 416, or a Cyclone. You really feel like every part has been thought out and many build features are unique.

Very happy about the purchase.. let s see on track next weekend..
Yep! Pretty much.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #939
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
+1

Another good idea is to glue the nut into the ackerman plate so if you do unscrew it completely it's not a PITA to get back together
Use rubber cement (shoe goo) C/A tends to crack.
I'm lovin' this car and I don't even have it yet.
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #940
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Use rubber cement (shoe goo) C/A tends to crack.
I'm lovin' this car and I don't even have it yet.
John, did you get your car yet?
mrbighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #941
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

So, I just finished the shocks...



































Im fairly certain I saw God.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #942
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbighead View Post
John, did you get your car yet?
Just got ordered... I hope.
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:38 AM   #943
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I guess it's personal preference but I think the TRF shocks are smoother and easier to build. It's a shame the TOPs are different dimensions because I wanted to use the red caps on my TRFs
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #944
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 205
Default

Hi Guys, whats the belt sizes front and rear?

Thanks

Ricky
prodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #945
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,086
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriver View Post
Hi Guys, whats the belt sizes front and rear?

Thanks

Ricky
Rear belt is 189mm
Front Belt is 516mm
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:00 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net