Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Microman

I would have to agree with Psycho.

I had a TA03Pro with tons of Trinity Aluminum parts. I hit a curb while playing around and it cracked my front gear case where the my front arms attach to. The Aluminum did not give so something else had to.

Last month I had several bad hits to the left side of my current car a TA03R-TRF, but I was using the plastic arms and the only damage to my arm was a stripped ball connector for my front shock. Easy fix, just a little CA Glue and reconnect the ball connector. The Aluminum arms look really trick, I have the Cross arms as spares, but it all depends on what you want to use them for.

Psycho

Cool you running tomorrow at Sheldons? It should be great place for your daughter to start racing. I would go, but I have a doctors appointment. I'll just have to wait until next week for Castle.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Paint Problem

Is there any possible way to strip the paint off from the shell of our R/C Cars?

Thank you
Old 06-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Bitoy

I haven't really tried stripping paint from a body, I just buy a new one. I would think that it would be a little difficult because paint thinners may damage the body.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:54 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If your hobby shop can get some stuff called Polly's Easy Liftoff you can get the paint off. Just soak it with Polly's and use some paper towels to wipe the paint off. Just repeat the process until paint is gone. It is about the only thing that I know that don't mess up the body. I use to use it to take off overspray when I used Pactra paints. I use the Parma water based paint now.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wyd/Day10;

Thanks men for the info, i'll try Wyd's Easy Liftoff but think it's hard to find one here.

How's your races goin on out there? Here, we are nearing the national competition for the Tamiya Asia Cup (TAC), unfortunately I fell out 'coz i missed half of the series.

But it's a really good race event.

Next year, Tamiya and our LHS here will organize another race. We heard from other racers that it is an all FF02 Class

It's so nice watching races with full of almost identical cars running.

Philippines, Mabuhay
Old 06-16-2002, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

I might get myself a Tamiya TA03 car.

Comments?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

dugrant153

If you're not an experienced RC driver, I would really recommend the TA03F. It has the motor in the front ahead of the front wheels and it probably one of the easiest cars to drive that has ever been made. It is also extremely durable, so it's the perfect beginner car. Even if you're not a beginner, it's a good car that should make you quite competitive if you decide to race.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Newbie!

Hi,

I'm new to the board, the TA-03 and R/C in general. I live in the UK and have been interested off and on for quite a while, but never had enough money to take the plunge. My friends Blackfoot reintroduced me to the interest a couple of months ago. So I've just bought a TA-03 off eBay (needs some work, but was a real steal) and have a few questions...

As I said I'm new to R/C so I bought a 2nd hand TL-01 to learn on, which will no doubt involve me breaking lots of bits. Hopefully not too many. So I'm fixing the TA-03 as I'm learning on the TL-01.

Is there an online copy of the build manual anywhere? I'm specifically after the parts tree diagrams. I've tried http://digilander.iol.it/oldtamiya/ but that hasn't got it.

I've put some pix of the car on my web site. http://www.cybernaught.co.uk/jules/T...as_bought.html

Should there be a rear bumper? Is it possible to get a big foam front bumper? (a training bumper??!)

I've bought a 27 turn ESC and motor (got them cheap) to put on the car while I'm learning. What pinion gear would people recommend for that set up?

Oh yes, one last question - will an HPI 190mm body shell fit the car? It's about half the price of a Tamiya one.

Sorry for all the Q's.

Best regards,
Jules.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Wyd-How's it going? How are you doing with your TB01?

Bitoy-Is there a lot of people running RC's in the Philippines? I visited back in 97 but I was unable to find any shops. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. I may visit again next year and will definately look for a hobby shop. Any recommendations?

dugrant153-I have to agree with psycho, Tamiya cars are very durable. My TA03-TRF has taken a lot of hard hits and it still allows me to finish my race day with no broken parts.

Psycho-How did you do at the race? I had family over on father's day, so I have to wait for next month. I may be able to run at Sheldons, I have to wait and see though.

Jules-you can try the Tamiya America web site to get the part numbers you need.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/rcpss.html

This is the part number for the bumper for the TA03R Part# 53304 TA03R Urethane bumper set.

What gears are you using with the TA03. If you are using the (White Gear set) .4, I usually use the 25T pinion gear. Wyd posted a setup a while back. I also post a setup as well. HPI bodies should fit just fine. I use protoform bodies myself.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Dayten

The more prominent hobby shop in Manila is Lil's. The main branch is right in the Ayala business district where you might be staying at. This is the exclusive distributor of Tamiya Products.

Another is Pitshop, although it is less accessible.

Send a PM sometime to anyone at the Manila Racers forum when you're coming....

Old 06-18-2002, 01:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Rough; U D MAN

Dayten; But if u were' to look for parts other than tamiya, you can't find one at Lils' HS

You can go to Pitshop or Hi-Torque and other shops i can't remember the names ( my apologies . . . . .)

Contact us when you're here
Old 06-18-2002, 06:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile Cheers!

Thanx Dayten! The exploded diagram is exactly what I'm after.

I've ordered an HPI 190mm 911 Turbo shell too. I can't wait for it to all arrive so I can start fitting it!

I believe that it's the stock gear set, I must admit that I hadn't thought of that! (newbie) So I'll have a look.

Cheers,
Jules.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

rough512/Bitoy

Thanks for the info. I will definately check out the shops when I travel next year.

Jules

If it is the stock gears, it is most likely that you have the black gear set. The white gear sets came with the TA03Pro, DJ, and TRF cars. The car that you have according to your pics looks like the standard TA03R that uses the black gear set. If it is, it uses a different pinion set. If I am not mistaken it is called the AV pinion gear set from Tamiya. They range from 16T to 25T. I am not really sure what pinion gear to use with the black gear set since I've only used the white gear set. If I was to guess maybe start out with the 19T or 20T and check your motor after a trial run to make sure that you are not over geared.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default gear set & pinion

Hi,

Just had a quick look, and it's the black gear set in the car. So based on your suggestion, I've ordered an 18T & 19T AV pinion set. They are relatively cheap, so it's given me a good starting point for setting the car up, as I haven't got a clue. But I'm learning.... Thanx.

Cheers,
Jules.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Seems like this thread is picking up with some new folks running '03's. Congrats on your find, Jules!

Dayten

Sunday was pretty ugly for me. I had problems in all 3 of my races and ended up struggling through each main. The track temp skyrocketted in the afternoon and cooled off considerably by the time the mains rolled around. It was pretty slick and there was lots of carnage to go around. It was fun, though.

Hopefully we'll see you out there next month. There are 2 races in July. Woo hoo! No electric for the next 2 weeks for me since the Castle Cup is coming up. Gotta get ready for that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.