Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've run the Exotek rims on my F1R and I like them. They are easier to glue up and while they might not be quite as flexible as the Tamiya rims (the ones for foam tyres), they are far less brittle than the Ride rubber rims, which crack very easily.

Just gotta dial some "laziness" out of my chassis
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
If you get the TCS tires they will be exactly what you need. They are the exact same tire as the Pit Shimizu 571 and 572, they were just made with TCS logos on them for Tamiya.
And of course the advise on wheels is good stuff too, Exotek is the real deal!

They are not the same compound for sure. The Rear TCS are slightly harder and seem to have more rubber in them, they dont scrub in the same and Paragon effect them differently. On our prepped asphalt track the 571's are quicker and on our parking lot track the TCS rears are faster. The TCS tires absorb compound while the PIT compounds keep the compound on top and you have to wipe it off.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fatboysracing
Does anyone else call those meatballs? Where did I get that from?
Of course I call those meatballs because that is what they are !
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Originally Posted by aarcobra
Lotus, Looking at it again, my numbers are a bit on the small side at 1.5" dia.
Take a look at the pics of the cars and just scale them so they look right to you.
Here's a neat chart Lightfoot put on the Vintage F1 forum and you can see most of the meatballs (white circles) go pretty much the height of the body. Some are even flattened on the top and bottom.
Thanks I thought I was going nuts. Which I may still be, but at least I know that I didn't make that up.

Originally Posted by fatboysracing
ww2 aircraft designation, friend and foe alike, brits and japs...
I am going to have to go look that up now. I am interested in the history.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
They are not the same compound for sure. The Rear TCS are slightly harder and seem to have more rubber in them, they dont scrub in the same and Paragon effect them differently. On our prepped asphalt track the 571's are quicker and on our parking lot track the TCS rears are faster. The TCS tires absorb compound while the PIT compounds keep the compound on top and you have to wipe it off.
I run the TCS and Pit tires on our carpet and asphalt tracks and notice no difference between them and have been told they are identical.
Your results are interesting with the tire compound.
I use mainly Buggy Grip and Tire Tweak and the tires work equally great for me.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Are you using black can or white can Paragon?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I think they are the same compound. And I don't find the differences when traction compound is applied to be true.

I've used both the black and white can Paragon on both TCS and Pit tires. On all my rubber tires, the black can tended to "soak" in while the white can was still very drippy.
Didn't matter if it was Pit or TCS tires. Same with my touring car tires.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Marcus is definitely our resident tire tester!! he's using black can Paragon.

and you guys might forget, we're down here in Texas, heat and humidity are high!!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I run the TCS and Pit tires on our carpet and asphalt tracks and notice no difference between them and have been told they are identical.
Your results are interesting with the tire compound.
I use mainly Buggy Grip and Tire Tweak and the tires work equally great for me.
Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Are you using black can or white can Paragon?
Black can

Originally Posted by Dan
I think they are the same compound. And I don't find the differences when traction compound is applied to be true.

I've used both the black and white can Paragon on both TCS and Pit tires. On all my rubber tires, the black can tended to "soak" in while the white can was still very drippy.
Didn't matter if it was Pit or TCS tires. Same with my touring car tires.
I am positive they are different, Take a brand new set of both and run them for 10 min and you will see that the 571 show a very strange wear pattern where as the TCS look more like a normal scrubbed in tire. On our big track the 571's are consistently 2 tenths quicker back to back . And i am only referring to the rear tires I didnt care for the TCS fronts at all. Think about it its TAMIYA we are talking about and they dont leave anything as is you can bet they added their "touch" to the compound. Why else would the 571/572's even still be on the market?? That wouldnt be a smart business move for PIT. Maybe the weather conditions here in TX magnify it but they are not the same. IMO the TCS rears a med compound, in a 10min main on a track with temps around 140 they go away quicker than the 571's. Trust me when i say i have tested them ALOT!!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nrtv20
http://trautengineering.com/products/formula_series

I have been ultra-busy lately and have had a delay on the F2012 style wing vinyl’s, same goes with the FGX, I do have wings to test on.

Let me know about any special color requests. can always paint them and apply to get an exact match.
Anyone know what red best matches the vinyl used in the Traut wing vinyls?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

In regard to the nylon of the Exotek wheels, I recall "back in the day" that we boiled Associated nylon parts to make them more flexible. Think this might work with the Exotek wheels?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Indeed. The same compound was specified
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since everyone is talking about tires, has anyone tried these?

Pardus Racing Rubber Tire Set For F103/F104 - 2012 IIC Spec Tire
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4452
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

As previously stated, the TCS tires are the same tires from Pit. The only change Tamiya made was adding the TCS logo to the side wall for an easy tech inspection. I'm 100% sure of that.

Now, Tamiya ordered the tires roughly two years ago…is it possible that Pit has changed their compound in the mean time? Maybe they developed a faster tire and left the Tamiya tires as is…using an older formula.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Keeping two different compounds for manufacturing may not be cost effective unless one material is much cheaper than the other. Pit shimizu tire prices stayed the same so the material cost must be pretty close. (If they indeed change the compound)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.