Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
I really hope McLaren wins the first race so everybody re thinks the front suspension/nose.
Originally Posted by lightfoot
I couldn't agree with you more Those front ends are butt ugly... Even though I'm a Vettel fan, if it takes him loosing a few races at the beginning of the season to change those noses, I'm all for that...
I don’t think you can make a running change that significant during the season; the cars had to go through crash testing and FIA/F1 approval before they could be raced. We’ll soon see!!!

I do love the McLaren cars; even Marrusia looks decent since they get support from McLaren R&D. I hope everyone comes out being equal and leave it up to the drivers.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by terry.sc
We are never going to agree over this Ed, but wider tyres doesn't make them WorldGT tyres. As Bakaguyjean has also pointed out, the class they raced in allow F103 tyres and as I run an F103 and F109 I do know what they look like. f103 tyres are only 5mm narrower than WorldGT tyres, but they don't have the low profile that WGT (and F104) tyres have. I just don't like the way people keep on going on about them being illegal when they aren't, it's like complaining that the BRCA retro class are all running on illegal tyres because most of them are using the kit F109 rears.
For most clubs in the US the pan car rims are illegal. There are some that allow them but not that many. True they are not illegal by any national or international sanctioning body...but F1 tends to more run along club rules rather than national rules.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

All F1s can have front end dampening, it depends on what you lubricate the kingpins with and is a pretty standard setup adjustment. It certainly gives better damping than the centre damper on my old Corally F1.
My experience is the other way around. I also have some technical reasons to dislike the kingpin grease solution, hence I discounted this as a damping solution. You are correct though, it is damping, so I stand corrected.

Your point was that 1/12th always was direct drive only and F1 should be the same, I was pointing out in the early days anything was allowed and it ended up with solid axle because that gave the best performance, not because they banned independent suspension. By a strange quirk here in the UK both 4wd and independent suspension is still allowed in 1/12th scale because there has been no need to ban them.
For what it's worth, based on a quick browsing through the rulebook, ROAR explicitly states a solid rear axle, IFMAR does not.

I don't think anyone can argue that we don't want the overdone rubbish that passes for paint schemes on tourers and buggies.
I can, actually . They're not my personal favourite, but I couldn't care less. And given Honda's 'World' livery a few years back, they're not so outrageous .

Unless all the manufacturers of cars and tyres get together and decide which rules to stick with we will always have two different styles of F1 racing. I don't have a problem with that, I just wish everyone would accept it as well.
+1

Last edited by ijdod; 03-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
Up to the 414x; Tamiya used to NEVER made purpose built racing cars. Sure, they had TRF and Pro versions of kits, but they traditionally liked to send out a basic kit, then flood the market with "Hopup" options.
Avante?

IMHO, The F201 was a pig plain and simple. Sure, you could put a little lipstick (hopups) on it, but it was still, well, a pig. To me, it was over-engineered, too complicated, and it should have been 2wd. I think it was produced to fleece the Tamiya faithful of their $.
The first time I saw one myself, I was very impressed. It looked stunning. That ended about 10 minutes later, when it was put on the track. Great idea, lousy execution, at least from a performance point of view.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just set up the DVR to catch the practice, qualifying and racing for the first two Grans Prix. In general I think the mid pack cars are going to be a lot closer to the lead pack. If Ferrari can't solve the tire grinding issue, they're going to be chasing with the mid pack cars. I hope for our viewing pleasure there is a lot of over taking this season.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I just set up the DVR to catch the practice, qualifying and racing for the first two Grans Prix. In general I think the mid pack cars are going to be a lot closer to the lead pack. If Ferrari can't solve the tire grinding issue, they're going to be chasing with the mid pack cars. I hope for our viewing pleasure there is a lot of over taking this season.
+1

John do you race F1 in ohio somewhere?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nrtv20
+1

John do you race F1 in ohio somewhere?
I'm practicing F1 at Access in Springfield with the Ruggles'. Its an hour drive, but I have a great time with some very seasoned racers. There is no on-road in Columbus. Very sad. I've been racing 13.5 No-Boost WGT and 12th 17.5 no-boost, but no actual F1 class although most of us own F103s and F109s. I kid myself that an indoor asphalt track with the ability to roll carpet over the top would actually work around here, but then I pinch myself and wake up.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

anyone here interested in getting involved in a f1 fantasy league?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eff one
Yup. Set it up!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eff one
Im in this one,seams to be easy enough

http://www.fantasyf1sport.com/index.php
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We are never going to agree over this Ed, but wider tyres doesn't make them WorldGT tyres. As Bakaguyjean has also pointed out, the class they raced in allow F103 tyres and as I run an F103 and F109 I do know what they look like. f103 tyres are only 5mm narrower than WorldGT tyres, but they don't have the low profile that WGT (and F104) tyres have. I just don't like the way people keep on going on about them being illegal when they aren't, it's like complaining that the BRCA retro class are all running on illegal tyres because most of them are using the kit F109 rears.
Happy to concede I'm wrong on wide tyre point, no skin off my nose there

You do point out that narrow and rubber is the way you like, but those constantly telling those of us elsewhere around the world running wide cars on foams that what we are doing is wrong and we should all throw away what we currently use and buy a narrow car isn't going to convert us. Being intolerant to the choice others have made isn't going to get them to replace the car they have invested in.
Re-read my post... I stated keep running wide/foam, but be aware that in the future (and I'm wasn't implying next week, more months/years down the line) wide/foam will be a dwindling class.. if it wasn't why are the series that used to run it not anymore (UF1) or struggling (RCF1)?
You state about being intolerant (which I personally don't think I am, what I've written has been quite reasonable), the same goes in reverse, as in having the "I've got my car, I'm not changing, be dammed with future of the class etc etc" attitude is just as bad.

Coming from a 1/12th scale and pan car background I'm happy with foams, I even allow foams on tourers at my club because they are simpler for the non experts to get to grips with as they need no treatment or preparation to run them on our carpet and gets them up to speed quickly and cheaply, which helps keep them coming back. But I would never tell other touring car drivers elsewhere they should all move to foams because that's what we like to run.
Difference is with TC, there is a standard rule set round the world of rubber tyre 24mm... Foams work for you maybe, that don't for me, simple.

We even have a racer that runs an old Corally every so often at my club, after all it's just a fun club meeting and he is never going to take part in the F1 nationals. To me it's one more F1 on the track, not the end of F1 and everyone else has to go out and buy one. No one screams at him that it shouldn't be allowed and he should go out and buy a new car before he can race, the others just ignore his result when comparing lap times.
You won't find any argument from me there, as at a club level, do everything you can to get people racing, if that means relaxing the rules, then it's non-issue. But on a national series level, it's different, there are rules, and they need to be followed and accepted.

If we can all agree that there are actually two main classes raced around the world and neither class is going to go away any time soon, then we can move on. Trying to deride anyone and any manufacturer because they aren't running your favourite width and tyres is going to do nothing to increase the popularity of F1.
I don't disagree on two main classes, I do disagree on the point neither going away anytime soon... it's already been commented here that the 200mm foam is struggling in Japan (not dead, but struggling), it's gone as a class in the US, and out here in the other areas of Asia it's mainly rubber and narrow too... I'm just being realistic, but if I was to bet any money which ruleset would be strongest in 5years, I know where I would put my money.

I would just like the discussion to move on from wide/foam is dead and narrow/rubber is the future, especially when there is only two Tamiyas and the HPI F10 that can run narrow/rubber out of the box, while every other company and even most of Tamiyas new cars are to the 'old' wide foam
class
When we're talking narrow, there seems to be the general consesous of 190mm, rubber, 21.5t... and if you follow what most do, simply stick a 104 front end on a wide car, and bolt on a set of 104 tyres to the rear. Oh, look at that, you've got a narrow car... Hell, I'm running a 104WGP in narrow (190mm) config by simply doing that so know what I'm talking about!

I agree, don't see anything wrong with allowing the FGX even though we currently don't allow it over here, but then the kit also isn't available in the UK either and the drivers aren't going change a rule specifically to allow one kit not available over here. That might change if the HPI prototype that's been seen goes into production. I would still bet on the solid axle cars beating it and see no reason to not allow them.
Totally agree

Anything that brings people to F1 is great, if your club attracts people because they are running the FGX, or even if a bunch of people want to race the Corally as a group, then they should all be welcomed to F1 as it just increases the interest to F1s in general, not put them down because they have made a different choice to whatever you think we should all be running.
See my comment about Club level above. No disagreement for that.. but for a national (even regional) series, it's a different kettle of fish.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'm practicing F1 at Access in Springfield with the Ruggles'. Its an hour drive, but I have a great time with some very seasoned racers. There is no on-road in Columbus. Very sad. I've been racing 13.5 No-Boost WGT and 12th 17.5 no-boost, but no actual F1 class although most of us own F103s and F109s. I kid myself that an indoor asphalt track with the ability to roll carpet over the top would actually work around here, but then I pinch myself and wake up.
we have been running F1 all season in Woodville Ohio, F104's with pits and 21.5 blinkys. The next 3 weeks are point races so there usually is around 10-12 cars, come on out if it's not to far.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

P1 over, McLaren on top (Button1, Hamilton).
Mercedes in 3rd with Shumacher, then Alonso, Webber, and Rosberg. Don't know what happened to Vettel, but he's 11th. Raikonnen 9th, completed just 8 laps.

http://http://www.speedtv.com/formula-1-racecast/

Next live stream at 1:30AM EDT
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nrtv20
we have been running F1 all season in Woodville Ohio, F104's with pits and 21.5 blinkys. The next 3 weeks are point races so there usually is around 10-12 cars, come on out if it's not to far.
I will try. Its about a 2 hour drive for me. The only rubber tire F1 I have is an FGX at the moment. It is 21.5 blinky.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
P1 over, McLaren on top (Button1, Hamilton).
Mercedes in 3rd with Shumacher, then Alonso, Webber, and Rosberg. Don't know what happened to Vettel, but he's 11th. Raikonnen 9th, completed just 8 laps.

http://http://www.speedtv.com/formula-1-racecast/

Next live stream at 1:30AM EDT
I want to get a hold of some of those green walled pirelli decals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.