R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2003, 05:05 PM   #2776
Registered User
 
Calvin Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng
Default

i just finished playing initial d today

i lost 4-5 times and got up to the 8th guy... mr2 dude
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:52 PM   #2777
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Got some stupid questions again!

Hi.

i was wondering what's considered too hot for a 27turn johnson stock motor? I was running according to the instructions spur 120 and pinion 40 and the car is so slow, my tao2 kicks its ass in a straight line! running with this gear ratio, the motor is still very cold and barely warms up after a whole pack of battery. I now run it with a 112 spur and 46 pinion, it's fast now but the motor gets so hot it can burn if you leave your finger there for about 10 seconds. is this gear ratio WAY too much for the motor to handle? how can i squeeze even more speed from my car while still having everything reliable and not burn up? what's a recommended spur and pinion size for max top speed given that i must run a 27t johnson motor?
thanks for your help!
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:36 PM   #2778
Tech Master
 
FUK_WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default Re: Got some stupid questions again!

Quote:
Originally posted by poop
Hi.

i was wondering what's considered too hot for a 27turn johnson stock motor? I was running according to the instructions spur 120 and pinion 40 and the car is so slow, my tao2 kicks its ass in a straight line! running with this gear ratio, the motor is still very cold and barely warms up after a whole pack of battery. I now run it with a 112 spur and 46 pinion, it's fast now but the motor gets so hot it can burn if you leave your finger there for about 10 seconds. is this gear ratio WAY too much for the motor to handle? how can i squeeze even more speed from my car while still having everything reliable and not burn up? what's a recommended spur and pinion size for max top speed given that i must run a 27t johnson motor?
thanks for your help!
Try gearing a little higher. The johnson motors dont have a lot of RPM. add another 6-10tooth up on the pinion. Monitor the tem. of the motor.

Calvin: Common keep on practising got those pics for you byu the way.
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:03 AM   #2779
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

FUK_WRX:

so should i gear it back to the factory recommendation of 40 pinion? then how could i squeeze more top speed out of my car?
cheers mate.
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:29 AM   #2780
Tech Master
 
FUK_WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by poop
FUK_WRX:

so should i gear it back to the factory recommendation of 40 pinion? then how could i squeeze more top speed out of my car?
cheers mate.
Hello

Before when i used my car with a johnson in 540 class, i switched to 48pitch gears. I geared my car 90TSpur and 35-40T Pinion. I started with a 35 and ended up using 40 in the end. It had sufficient top speed for that track layout. Anywayz let us know, im sure the other guys will be able to help you out also.
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:45 AM   #2781
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default thanks for your info FUK_WRX

was wondering what the benefits are for changing to 48pitch apart from minimising the chance of stuck stones between the gears?
i'll give it a go 90T spur and 40T pinion and see how it performs. will this gearing overheat the johnson?
cheers mate, thanks for your help!
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:37 AM   #2782
Tech Master
 
FUK_WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default Re: thanks for your info FUK_WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by poop
was wondering what the benefits are for changing to 48pitch apart from minimising the chance of stuck stones between the gears?
i'll give it a go 90T spur and 40T pinion and see how it performs. will this gearing overheat the johnson?
cheers mate, thanks for your help!
I dont think it will overheat not unless you give it in the corners mate Do a couple of laps then check the temp. This way there no risk in cookin motors
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:41 AM   #2783
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

what kind of temp should i be aiming for? hot/very hot/very, very hot/burning hot/3rd degree burns??
thanks mate.
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:50 AM   #2784
Tech Master
 
FUK_WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by poop
what kind of temp should i be aiming for? hot/very hot/very, very hot/burning hot/3rd degree burns??
thanks mate.
Its up to you though. In my case i dont really care about the johnson stockies i over gear them like crazy heheee..... just ensure that its not tooo hot.
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:23 AM   #2785
Tech Master
 
FUK_WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default TRF Tool set question

Hello guys i was wondering if you know if the Red TRF tool set has more pieces than the blue one ?? I saw an auction in ebay for a Blue TRF tool set it contained 7 piece tool kit. But when i viewed the Tamiya web site it said that the red one contained 9 pieces ??

Can some one verify this for me ??
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:10 AM   #2786
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 479
Default

i CAN verify the red ones got 9 pieces with it yeah

2 positive drivers
turnbuckle tool
ride height gauge
3 hex drivers
2 nut drivers


hope i helped

Tarnjit
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:34 AM   #2787
Tech Master
 
imataquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,279
Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito
Default

johnson stockies with 4.8 or 4.5/4.6 FDR

test them out
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:47 PM   #2788
Registered User
 
Calvin Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng
Default

just got my lighweight bulkheads in


yayyyyy ... they feel pretty light!
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #2789
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

imataquito:

will a final drive ratio of 4.X take forever for the johnsons to reach top speed? will it fry the motor?
thanks!
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:31 PM   #2790
Tech Master
 
TRF-Powered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,003
Default Re: TRF Tool set question

Quote:
Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Hello guys i was wondering if you know if the Red TRF tool set has more pieces than the blue one ?? I saw an auction in ebay for a Blue TRF tool set it contained 7 piece tool kit. But when i viewed the Tamiya web site it said that the red one contained 9 pieces ??

Can some one verify this for me ??
I believe that the red tool kit comes with the turnbuckle wrench and the drop gauge, which the blue ones doens't come with (but is sold seperately)
TRF-Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
414x x414x R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-30-2010 12:17 PM
looking for a tamiya 414x subaru73 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 06-07-2006 09:50 PM
Tamiya 414x meche R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 09-12-2004 07:25 PM
Tamiya 414X icon R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 10-02-2002 08:58 PM
Looking for a 414x,414m,or TB Evo grinch77 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-24-2002 06:22 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:01 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0