Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oze
Rob, RS Pro and RS are the same with one difference: RS Pro has no motor limit, RS is limited to 5,5T motor. Therefore RS is a few grams lighter.
Thanks for the fast reply. So if the only difference is motor limit and I only plane to run 17.5 maybe someday 10.5 then I will have no problems ?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by prettyboy
Thanks for the fast reply. So if the only difference is motor limit and I only plane to run 17.5 maybe someday 10.5 then I will have no problems ?
Yup, RS is all you'll ever need (or want).
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
We effectively have a 3 speed tranny. Instead of changing the gearing we are changing the rpms of the motor. As we add timing to increase rpms we loose torque. So we use lower timing during the launch where we need torque and add more timing as we accelerate and shift to second gear, and even more timing at top speed where the toque load is low and we want the extra rpms. If you add too much timing too soon it is like shifting half way up the tach in a real car only instead of bogging we just pull the power to get it done and make a lot of heat due to the inefficiency. .....
I love this post. It works similar to what I had guessed, but 3 speeds, nice.

I am not a Tekin owner, but it is posts like this that make me want to make the switch.

regards

Neal
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am still trying to optimize my Tekin RS.

In reading the previous posts, there seems to be two trains of thought on setting up the RS controller for a 17.5.

1) Going with a higher ratio like in the mid to low 7s and ramping up the RS timing to 20 or higher and boost also high.

2) Going with a lower ratio in the high 4s - low 5s and putting the timing less than 10 and boost even milder.

Assuming the motor timing is zero on both settings, which is the better way to approach utilizing the RS?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i think it is down to track layout for crazy ratios
Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

jmho but it sure seems to be with the real high FDR's (7 and up) that the brakes seem to have a hard time catching up with the high motor rpms..
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
We effectively have a 3 speed tranny.

[...]
I have read this in another thread, I realise I should have replied here.
Below is the answer I gave in the other thread:

That explanation doesn't clarify two points.

1. Are timing boost and Turbo applied as set timing values or ramped up progressively?

2. If timing does not (or should not) exceeed 30deg, how can Turbo apply more timing if your overall timing is already 30?

One other question here that seems to be indirectly clarified but not clearly stated is whether or not there is another parameter monitored by the speedo apart from RPM. From the explanation above it seems there isn't.

The comparison with a car's gearbox would suggest the answer to question #1 above is that timing boost and turbo are applied at full values rather than ramped up but only Randy can certify this.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by niznai
I have read this in another thread, I realise I should have replied here.
Below is the answer I gave in the other thread:

That explanation doesn't clarify two points.

1. Are timing boost and Turbo applied as set timing values or ramped up progressively?

2. If timing does not (or should not) exceeed 30deg, how can Turbo apply more timing if your overall timing is already 30?

One other question here that seems to be indirectly clarified but not clearly stated is whether or not there is another parameter monitored by the speedo apart from RPM. From the explanation above it seems there isn't.

The comparison with a car's gearbox would suggest the answer to question #1 above is that timing boost and turbo are applied at full values rather than ramped up but only Randy can certify this.
Not sure about timing boost but turbo boost ramps up once full throttle is reached. Timing boost applies after the car moves a few feet so this would indicate it is applied based off a RPM value or number of revolutions value. Once it is applied I'm not sure if it ramps up or if it applies the full additional timing value.

Probably because Turbo Boost only effects the straights so on the infield where you are stressing the motor with sporadic hard accelerations the boost will not take it over 30.

At least that is my understanding of how it works.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Not sure about timing boost but turbo boost ramps up once full throttle is reached. Timing boost applies after the car moves a few feet so this would indicate it is applied based off a RPM value or number of revolutions value. Once it is applied I'm not sure if it ramps up or if it applies the full additional timing value.

Probably because Turbo Boost only effects the straights so on the infield where you are stressing the motor with sporadic hard accelerations the boost will not take it over 30.

At least that is my understanding of how it works.
That's as far as I figured it too, Inspector. That's why I keep asking the above questions.

The part about measuring RPM is clear. The rest not so much. Let's hope Randy will grace us with an answer.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Does anyone can explain how to read motor timing? my speedpassion motor no advanced timing adjustable....but i want to know what is the factory timing....Please don't ask me send/call speedpassion to get this information...I want to know how to read from endbell....thanks....
Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

One correction on my previous post...Turbo Boost does not come in at full throttle but by the timing delay you set...which should be near full throttle.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Randy posted earlier that esc timing does ramp, but its a very aggressive increase.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Randy posted earlier that esc timing does ramp, but its a very aggressive increase.
Is that the boost or the turbo?

I must have missed the post.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Is that the boost or the turbo?

I must have missed the post.
Boost
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you. That's very good to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.