R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #7966
Tech Master
 
prettyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Blackwood,N.J
Posts: 1,446
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oze View Post
Rob, RS Pro and RS are the same with one difference: RS Pro has no motor limit, RS is limited to 5,5T motor. Therefore RS is a few grams lighter.
Thanks for the fast reply. So if the only difference is motor limit and I only plane to run 17.5 maybe someday 10.5 then I will have no problems ?
__________________
(ORIGINAL) HIGH POWERED HOBBIES RACE TEAM MEMBER
prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #7967
Tech Champion
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,103
Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboy View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. So if the only difference is motor limit and I only plane to run 17.5 maybe someday 10.5 then I will have no problems ?
Yup, RS is all you'll ever need (or want).
__________________
www.kriostasis.com
Krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #7968
Tech Adept
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
We effectively have a 3 speed tranny. Instead of changing the gearing we are changing the rpms of the motor. As we add timing to increase rpms we loose torque. So we use lower timing during the launch where we need torque and add more timing as we accelerate and shift to second gear, and even more timing at top speed where the toque load is low and we want the extra rpms. If you add too much timing too soon it is like shifting half way up the tach in a real car only instead of bogging we just pull the power to get it done and make a lot of heat due to the inefficiency. .....
I love this post. It works similar to what I had guessed, but 3 speeds, nice.

I am not a Tekin owner, but it is posts like this that make me want to make the switch.

regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #7969
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,949
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko
Default

I am still trying to optimize my Tekin RS.

In reading the previous posts, there seems to be two trains of thought on setting up the RS controller for a 17.5.

1) Going with a higher ratio like in the mid to low 7s and ramping up the RS timing to 20 or higher and boost also high.

2) Going with a lower ratio in the high 4s - low 5s and putting the timing less than 10 and boost even milder.

Assuming the motor timing is zero on both settings, which is the better way to approach utilizing the RS?
__________________
Jeffrey
teamgravityrc.com - motivrc.com
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #7970
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

i think it is down to track layout for crazy ratios
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #7971
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

jmho but it sure seems to be with the real high FDR's (7 and up) that the brakes seem to have a hard time catching up with the high motor rpms..
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #7972
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
We effectively have a 3 speed tranny.

[...]
I have read this in another thread, I realise I should have replied here.
Below is the answer I gave in the other thread:

That explanation doesn't clarify two points.

1. Are timing boost and Turbo applied as set timing values or ramped up progressively?

2. If timing does not (or should not) exceeed 30deg, how can Turbo apply more timing if your overall timing is already 30?

One other question here that seems to be indirectly clarified but not clearly stated is whether or not there is another parameter monitored by the speedo apart from RPM. From the explanation above it seems there isn't.

The comparison with a car's gearbox would suggest the answer to question #1 above is that timing boost and turbo are applied at full values rather than ramped up but only Randy can certify this.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #7973
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I have read this in another thread, I realise I should have replied here.
Below is the answer I gave in the other thread:

That explanation doesn't clarify two points.

1. Are timing boost and Turbo applied as set timing values or ramped up progressively?

2. If timing does not (or should not) exceeed 30deg, how can Turbo apply more timing if your overall timing is already 30?

One other question here that seems to be indirectly clarified but not clearly stated is whether or not there is another parameter monitored by the speedo apart from RPM. From the explanation above it seems there isn't.

The comparison with a car's gearbox would suggest the answer to question #1 above is that timing boost and turbo are applied at full values rather than ramped up but only Randy can certify this.
Not sure about timing boost but turbo boost ramps up once full throttle is reached. Timing boost applies after the car moves a few feet so this would indicate it is applied based off a RPM value or number of revolutions value. Once it is applied I'm not sure if it ramps up or if it applies the full additional timing value.

Probably because Turbo Boost only effects the straights so on the infield where you are stressing the motor with sporadic hard accelerations the boost will not take it over 30.

At least that is my understanding of how it works.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #7974
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Not sure about timing boost but turbo boost ramps up once full throttle is reached. Timing boost applies after the car moves a few feet so this would indicate it is applied based off a RPM value or number of revolutions value. Once it is applied I'm not sure if it ramps up or if it applies the full additional timing value.

Probably because Turbo Boost only effects the straights so on the infield where you are stressing the motor with sporadic hard accelerations the boost will not take it over 30.

At least that is my understanding of how it works.
That's as far as I figured it too, Inspector. That's why I keep asking the above questions.

The part about measuring RPM is clear. The rest not so much. Let's hope Randy will grace us with an answer.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #7975
Tech Elite
 
mjc168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,808
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone can explain how to read motor timing? my speedpassion motor no advanced timing adjustable....but i want to know what is the factory timing....Please don't ask me send/call speedpassion to get this information...I want to know how to read from endbell....thanks....
__________________
http://www.pprcc.com/

1/10 On-road Touring: Schumacher MI3 + Tekin RS Pro + Orca RX-1 11.5t BL Motor
1/10 On-road Touring: Xray T3 2011 + Tekin RS Pro + Tekin Redline 10.5t BL Motor
mjc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #7976
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

One correction on my previous post...Turbo Boost does not come in at full throttle but by the timing delay you set...which should be near full throttle.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #7977
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Randy posted earlier that esc timing does ramp, but its a very aggressive increase.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #7978
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Randy posted earlier that esc timing does ramp, but its a very aggressive increase.
Is that the boost or the turbo?

I must have missed the post.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #7979
Tech Master
 
JCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton,OH
Posts: 1,244
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Is that the boost or the turbo?

I must have missed the post.
Boost
__________________
Gorilla Size Racing

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #7980
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,940
Default

Thank you. That's very good to know.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net