Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmhub1979
I just got a hobbywing brushless esc/motor. I wired it up and everything. when i try and calibrate it nothing happens. When I turn the wheel it does nothing. I"m thinking my receiver is the issue. That my cheap futaba AM radio doesn't like the brushless set up. Is this the problem. If it is, best solution? I hope I don't have to buy a new radio.
If the radio and transmitter worked on a brushed combo but won't work on a brushless combo then the problem is your Hobbywing ESC not the receiver.

Many people use Futaba AM radios and HW combos without any issues at all so it would appear unlikely you have a compatability issue.

Considering you have no power to the motor or the servo the problem is either the ESC and / or you have no power.

Here is a pic of how to connect the esc and servo to the receiver (just in case).

Tamiya mini cooper-pa087507-copy.jpg

Connect the ESC to channel 2

Connect the Servo to Channel 1

Make sure the white wire is on the inside as shown in the pics

Good luck

Last edited by tdunster; 10-07-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: insert pic
Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Tamiya 20T flourine coated (for F201) is much, much better than the 20/21T pinion set.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

What size pinion gears are you guys that run brushless using? I've got a 20t in with standard gearset and my motor is getting too hot even with the esc turned down. Also what pitch are the pinion gears please.

Last edited by BILKO1; 10-10-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Short Chassis

Hey guys most of the local racers are running the long chassis for carpet races - they say its more stable and less tippy.
My question is has anyone had any sucess runnig the short chassis on carpet and if so what was the setup?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

BILKO1,

I have the HW Brushless 13T/35a combo and 20t pinion .

Motor using 15 degrees advance timing.

Ran laps for 20mins (ambient temp 80f) at race speed no heat problems.

EDIT: I've also run the 9t combo with the same positive results.

I'd be checking the meshing if heats an issue.

Alternatively, if you have signifcant tyre wear the car may be approaching the point whereby it becomes undergeared - but unlikely.

robl08,

The chassis configuration (short / long /medium) is about as insignificant as the type of oil used in the shocks (A tourer is another thing altogether though).

Tyres are what determines success with the Tamiya Mini.

Use the wrong tyre combination and you can traction roll any of the three configurations with ease. Get the tyre selection right and all of them will perform great.

cheers
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

www.rc-mini.net
Originally Posted by robl08
Hey guys most of the local racers are running the long chassis for carpet races - they say its more stable and less tippy.
My question is has anyone had any sucess runnig the short chassis on carpet and if so what was the setup?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks
SWB or LWB doesn't affect rollovers much. I've run both lengths with sauced foam and rubber tires on carpet with no roll over problems.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the info I will try the short chassis to see how it runs - it might be a bit twitchy on the straight away.
Any good tire combinations for carpet short chassis - with the long body most were running Stock treads up fronts and type A Slicks on rear maybe too much grip for the short chassis. the track will have compound on it

Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

SWB could be more likely to traction roll as the steering is more aggressive.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default HOBBYWING or OEM 13T Motors

Hi,

Does anyone know of a reliable source for the motors mentioned above. Everywhere seems to have the combo only available and I would like to get just the motors. We are standardising on the HW kit and most of us have an ESC combo but would like to have the motors as spares.

Any ideas?

I tried HW themselves but they referred me to sites that have combo's only.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sirandy
Hi,

Does anyone know of a reliable source for the motors mentioned above. Everywhere seems to have the combo only available and I would like to get just the motors. We are standardising on the HW kit and most of us have an ESC combo but would like to have the motors as spares.

Any ideas?

Thanks
RCMart has them . They are the OEM Yeah racing version

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...0-p-26591.html

If you cant get them I have some
Old 10-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys for the info I will try the short chassis to see how it runs - it might be a bit twitchy on the straight away.
Any good tire combinations for carpet short chassis - with the long body most were running Stock treads up fronts and type A Slicks on rear maybe too much grip for the short chassis. the track will have compound on it

Thanks
I run RP30 or Ride (square edges) all around for rubber and Parma Plaid front and Purple rears for foams (foams cut to 58mm & CA side walls). Since RPs and these Rides are hard to get look into rc-mini.net for more tire options and other tips.

My car is set up as the following:

Front:
  • Blue short Tamiya springs
  • 45wt oil
  • 0 degree toe at ride height
  • Corsair upper link with droop limiters set at no droop*
Rear:
  • Yellow Short Tamiya springs
  • 40 wt oil
  • 2 degree TL-01 option uprights
  • TL-01 adjustable upper links screwed all the way in (more camber)
Ran front and rear swaybars didn't feel much difference.
Ride height 4mm from the lowest point in the chassis (check with race director for height requirements).
Important for helping prevent rollovers. If you run lipos you must add weight to bring the car back up the NiMh battery weight (around 1350+g)

*Car seems a bit twitchy
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sirandy
Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks
Are you in the US? If so try http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezbrmo.html They might ship overseas even if you aren't.

Motors are marked with "13T".
Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone know whether the included tires with M-03R kit are either "S" or "M" Grips?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mugler
Does anyone know whether the included tires with M-03R kit are either "S" or "M" Grips?
Neither, the kit tires aren't as grippy as the "S" or "M" grips

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.