Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony gray
It's not even worth dignifying your post with a response.....
Which is another way of saying..."I backed myself into a corner and don't have an answer because I never owned or used an alloy Tobee spur...I got busted and OWNED!!!"

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

People just have different opinions. It's not worth arguing over. The only good advice is to try it.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaPeRo

BTW aren't you the same guy that said the carbon gear shafts aren't worth the money because they don't spin?

The gear shafts do not spin

They are jammed in the chassis and the gear bearings sit on the shaft and allow the gear to rotate on the fixed shaft. In theory then the carbon shafts are non rotational mass so there is no great advantage in having them in the car unless you are desperately in need of loosing some small amount of weight.

It would seem that someone has no real idea of what happens in a Mini
Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

I'm sure he knows that. He never implied that they did spin Lets move on please.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I'm sure he knows that. He never implied that they did spin Lets move on please.

He implied it

It is funny that he thinks that Tony Gray knows very little about Minis. He would have had every Mini part and every different type of MIni ever produced
Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Well the guy said you shouldn't upgrade to a carbon gear shaft because it doesn't spin....um..well the stock metal one doesn't either.

Now if both don't spin then the carbon one would still be worthwhile if you're looking to save weight because it's 10X lighter...yes I've weighed it.

Now if you want to use the heavier metal gear shafts to prevent traction rolling then you might want to recheck your suspension setup/tire setup because it's definitely out of whack.

You want weight low in the chassis not high up like where the gear shafts re located...lol. To get better handling you want better weight distribution not a heavier car otherwise you'd get better handling with a dump truck right cannon?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Lets move on please.
+1 Not worth arguing over. Ruins the thread.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Well the guy said you shouldn't upgrade to a carbon gear shaft because it doesn't spin....um..well the stock metal one doesn't either.

Now if both don't spin then the carbon one would still be worthwhile if you're looking to save weight because it's 10X lighter...yes I've weighed it.

Now if you want to use the heavier metal gear shafts to prevent traction rolling then you might want to recheck your suspension setup/tire setup because it's definitely out of whack.

You want weight low in the chassis not high up like where the gear shafts re located...lol. To get better handling you want better weight distribution not a heavier car otherwise you'd get better handling with a dump truck right cannon?
So you are saying that saving 8 grams makes you go faster ... Be careful how much paint you put on as that will weigh more.

You give the wrong impression to new racers ... the weight saving is not worthwhile in any way.

And you are reading Tony Gray's post wrong ... he is saying that it doesn't spin meaning not rotational.... meaning that the gears shafts do not rotate so they have no effect on acceleration of the gearbox so no need to replace them.

Now back to Mini racing

Rumours are around that a new 60D size tyre is being tested at the moment and should be released around the first week of November .. and not manufactured by Tamiya
Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

8 grams down low is much better than 8 grams up high for handling and I'm not just talking bout the gear shafts I'm talking about every single part that can be upgraded to lighter parts should be. This way you could use the weight saved to add weights down low and in strategic locations where it's needed the most. For reference I saved 25 grams just by upgrading to the carbon gear shafts and titanium chassis screws.

Now to give an example of how this may effect handling, lets say your car is slightly top heavy in stock form, well instead of stupidly add more weight to the chassis making it heavier to overcome the top heavyness, the smarter thing to do is first trying to remove the top heaviness THEN if that isn't enough you could start adding weight to strategic locations. This is how they do it on real Formula 1 cars the gold standard for racing technology. They first design the car to be as light as possible then they start adding ballasts in strategic locations to get the weight up to racing spec.

Finally the other point is if you see something as a waste of money that doesn't mean it's useless and a waste of money to somebody else. You don't have all the answers so should let other people decide how they want to go about in doing things.

The guy just asked where he could get a Tobee gear set, he didn't ask whether or not you think it's a waste of money.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Are you talking about the alloy one? I have the alloy one and it meshes fine. If you're new to alloy/steel gears then you're gonna be shocked by the higher pitched sound of them meshing, but it's perfectly normal. The Tobee spur is a simple drop in fit, so I don't know what you mean by "once you work out how".

You can't beat metal gears for durability that's why many Nitro cars only use metal gears. If you don't want to replace worn out spurs then you have no choice but to go with a metal one.

Curious to know what pinion (pitch and teeth number) you used with the Tobee alloy spur and which mounting holes.

BTW aren't you the same guy that said the carbon gear shafts aren't worth the money because they don't spin?
my nitro has plastic gears and il neva buy the metal ones cus if i crash at full pelt then it can snap my crank shaft so i have a plastic spur gear
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Initiate

8 grams down low is much better than 8 grams up high for handling and I'm not just talking bout the gear shafts I'm talking about every single part that can be upgraded to lighter parts should be. This way you could use the weight saved to add weights down low and in strategic locations where it's needed the most. For reference I saved 25 grams just by upgrading to the carbon gear shafts and titanium chassis screws.

Now to give an example of how this may effect handling, lets say your car is slightly top heavy in stock form, well instead of stupidly add more weight to the chassis making it heavier to overcome the top heavyness, the smarter thing to do is first trying to remove the top heaviness THEN if that isn't enough you could start adding weight to strategic locations. This is how they do it on real Formula 1 cars the gold standard for racing technology. They first design the car to be as light as possible then they start adding ballasts in strategic locations to get the weight up to racing spec.

Finally the other point is if you see something as a waste of money that doesn't mean it's useless and a waste of money to somebody else. You don't have all the answers so should let other people decide how they want to go about in doing things.

The guy just asked where he could get a Tobee gear set, he didn't ask whether or not you think it's a waste of money.
its not worth going down to spcific grams its like makeing something and makeing the mesurments to 0.000000001 its pointless i would always listen to tony im even makeing a rally mini to his web spec
Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

I look at it this way. If your not a serious hardcore racer it's not worth the money to buy those kinds of upgrades. Bearings should be the first thing on your list then shocks. Most people just buy because they want the best stuff on their car and it makes them feel good. Rc-mini is a great place to learn about m-chassis cars from Tony's perspective. He's doing a great thing to help out newcomers to this hobby.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Well the way I see it this thread is for information for anyone to use, it's not just for beginners. If you don't find the information useful then ignore it.

If someone asks where they could find a certain part, they should be able to get an answer without some know-it-all telling them not to waste their money. How do you know this person is a beginner? How do you know this person will be wasting their money? Answer...you don't.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dannyboy15
its not worth going down to spcific grams its like makeing something and makeing the mesurments to 0.000000001 its pointless i would always listen to tony im even makeing a rally mini to his web spec
It's pointless to YOU. If weight wasn't important then Tamiya would be using all steel and plastic parts on their TRF racers.

We all know the championship winning TRF cars use carbon and aluminum because it's lighter and stronger not because it's heavier.

Originally Posted by dannyboy15
my nitro has plastic gears and il neva buy the metal ones cus if i crash at full pelt then it can snap my crank shaft so i have a plastic spur gear
And that's fine, nobody said you had to use metal gears. All I said was that metal gears are very common and are stock on many nitro cars because they don't wear out as fast as plastic/nylon gears. Heck many people use MG servos because they don't strip as easily when you crash.

Don't kid yourself. If Tamiya released a TRF M chassis with a carbon chassis you girls would be wetting your panties left and right.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 10-18-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
You could also save yourself a lot of time and money and NOT buy them...

The Tobee gears are very, very, poorly made with a badly cut gear pitch profile, poor materials and compatibility. When they're installed (once you work out how) the noise they make is horrendous. And yes I know what I'm doing everything was set-up perfectly.

I was convinced my gearbox had exploded it was so bad. Any small numerical gearing gain is offset 50 times by the inefficiency of these gears. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

Forget it..
tony have you try the 3racing speed gears?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.