Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The opposite, tighter diff will have increase forward bite when track conditions are good. Poor conditions = less pull with a tighter diff due to wheel spin.
-agreed/and what I thought.
I must have mis-understood your first post.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by eR1c
...sorry if i missed it, are you running the stock diff' in front? If so, i'd recommend changing to the Tamiya 53070 Manta Ray Ball Diff Set. Its TCS legal -as it is a Tamiya branded part. It really tightened up the front wheels for me and stopped a lot of that wheelspin. If you do get this diff' be sure to really tighten the heck out of it when putting it together.
Is there a particular reason to choose the Manta Ray diff over the TA03 one? The latter one is lighter.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

You guys might be a bit biased, or not, but would you prefer a tt01/02 or a m05 for a car park basher?
Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Is there a particular reason to choose the Manta Ray diff over the TA03 one? The latter one is lighter.
I have both. I recommend you get an oil gear diff instead unless you are under some rules not to. I broke 2 MantaRay diffs already. TA03 is okay until the little nut starts loosening on its own and require re-tightening.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Code:
:rolleyes:
Originally Posted by Aw11Clown
You guys might be a bit biased, or not, but would you prefer a tt01/02 or a m05 for a car park basher?
It really depends on what your future plans are.
Actually just running around a parking lot track that you made up by yourself will
get boring real quick. You may want to look around where ever you are for an organized race track. And go watch them to see what they're running. If they have a mini class definatly go for the m05. Actually both the tt's are beasts to race at the beginners level in an organized track. Unless they have the funster rules in which case they basically run the tt's stock and you can be competitive then. Where are you located???
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Lots and personal tracks are good for testing setups, so the car will be ready for a race meet. Bashing around with no purpose gets boring quick....
Old 08-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Looking to get mini racing in a few months. Is the v2 r worth the almost $200 price difference from the v2 pro? what are the biggest differences besides the shocks and DCJ's?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
They're essentially the same diff, in a slightly different package. The TA03 diff, tightened down, with a little anti-wear grease and a dab of loc-tite on the adjuster screw will do what 90% of us want it to do.

Easier to find, too.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 AM
Tech Regular

Got a chance to race mini the last couple of weeks. Along with my daughter. Her car was awful so ended up rebuilding a lot of the front end. Her tx has buttons right under her left hand that mess up all the settings. I've put tape over them for now.

I was in the bottom heat with her and an 8 year old girl and that was great just had to dodge them every now and again and watch the frustration of my kid not being able to get more than 20ft without crashing.

Marshalling the heat above mine the cars looked much faster than mine. Still silver can so I was thinking there might be an issue.

I got to race against those guys in the B final,avoided the first corner crash and led for 2 minutes. So can't really complain about speed. I ended up stealing second on the last corner, all of us within a second or so I think. Best race I've been in and a testament to a tight set of rules.

The TA03 diff with 1/8 balls seems to work really well.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aw11Clown
TT02, because it handles a lot better on low grip surfaces. M05 will just spin the wheels and understeer, but the 4WD car will hook up and hang the tail out. You can build the TT02 with extra ground clearance to be a rally car, and different wheelbases and widths to allow some of the coolest Tamiya bodies to fit (Capri, Celica LB, 911 Carrera, etc).
Great site for setting up your TT02: http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html The single best improvement I made to my TT02 was putting 300k oil in the front diff as shown on that site.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Looking to get mini racing in a few months. Is the v2 r worth the almost $200 price difference from the v2 pro? what are the biggest differences besides the shocks and DCJ's?
The v2 R is about $200 from Tower Hobbies, so unless you can get the v2 Pro for free, the price difference isn't that much. That said, yes the main differences are the shocks and DCJs. There are a couple of other alloy parts too like the battery holders. I believe all the screws are replaced with hex machine screws as well.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

There's about 4 tracks about an hour or two away. They all run mini classes. Looking at bashing around car park with my son at first. Then going from there. was thinking an off-road buggy but with summer coming up the m05 would get more use. I have 2 proper rc drift cars at the moment so was hoping to stay away from the tt's, plus with the fact I can get a proper aw11 Mr2 in mini size was making me lean that way for on road.

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Code:
:rolleyes:
It really depends on what your future plans are.
Actually just running around a parking lot track that you made up by yourself will
get boring real quick. You may want to look around where ever you are for an organized race track. And go watch them to see what they're running. If they have a mini class definatly go for the m05. Actually both the tt's are beasts to race at the beginners level in an organized track. Unless they have the funster rules in which case they basically run the tt's stock and you can be competitive then. Where are you located???
Old 08-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

I just finished setting up my m03 on a hudy setup station, and I wonder how I was able to get around a track with no setup at all... Way too much camber(6+ degrees) under suspension compression front and rear, and negative front toe at rest, in addition to having 3/16" lcd axles not snug enough through the front 5mm bearings: great way to make my mini dart everywhere down the straight...
I fixed all these issues, and ended up with three degree front toe out, two and a half degree camber rear/three front, and no axle play through the front bearings... That should be a good starting point but , with the new crc black carpet causing extreme traction roll, I might need to rely more on CA glue than anything else.....
Old 08-06-2016, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What axles are you running that are 3/16"? Old Losi or Assciated or...?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
What axles are you running that are 3/16"? Old Losi or Assciated or...?
I'm assuming these are the Losi LCDs he keeps talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.