Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm just saying that maybe some people need some sensitiv training.
People ask for help and for the most part they get grief.
I hope that someday people don't have to be so negative when asked a question and the answer is always good but with attitude .
Race well grandpa. Hope we can battle on track some day.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Grandpa was very helpful in solving most of my issues. He may be abrasive at time but that comes with age . I know I am getting that way as I get older . But we did work our differences out in PM.

Now as for the mini. I picked up my stabilizer bars today and am in the process of fitting them. Also will be trying some of the suggestions for solving traction roll. I printed out the post on solutions for the issue and will put in some track time to see if I can tame that monster as well.

Jason
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fresnojay
Grandpa was very helpful in solving most of my issues. He may be abrasive at time but that comes with age . I know I am getting that way as I get older . But we did work our differences out in PM.

Now as for the mini. I picked up my stabilizer bars today and am in the process of fitting them. Also will be trying some of the suggestions for solving traction roll. I printed out the post on solutions for the issue and will put in some track time to see if I can tame that monster as well.

Jason
Try starting with the heaviest sway bar first. Most, not all, traction roll problems are due to the front outside tire tucking under as you enter the corner. The roll bar and the stiffer springs in back help to keep that from happening. This may be too much and the car may go loose.

With the newer generation of tires, the sidewalls are so soft, this happens easily. The easiest solution for that is to add cyano to the sidewalls. You must carry the cyano from the rim to just over the edge of the sidewall. What this does is that it will stiffen the sidewall some, but it also causes the tire to lose grip as it rolls onto the cyano. And yes, if you carry the cyano over the edge, that is too far. If you run a battery or two, the cyano will wear back to the proper place and you'll know exactly how far to carry it on your next efforts.

A few other things you can try is to change your front ride height. Some times higher is better and sometimes lower is better. Cut back a bit on your servo travel. If your TX has a servo speed adjustment, try running that at 75%. then add some speed back in.

If the roll occurs in the latter part of the corner, that's usually the rear tire tucking under, but not always. What happens is the rear starts to slide, catches, and over she goes. Try adding a little more camber in this situation.

To my detractors out there if you find this post abrasive or offensive in any way, I'm sorry. This is as nice as I get.

Last edited by Granpa; 07-03-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Try starting with the heaviest sway bar first. Most, not all, traction roll problems are due to the front outside tire tucking under as you enter the corner. The roll bar and the stiffer springs in back help to keep that from happening. This may be too much and the car may go loose.

I now have the heaviest bar on the car (in the rear) and the stiffest springs (again in the rear).

With the newer generation of tires, the sidewalls are so soft, this happens easily. The easiest solution for that is to add cyano to the sidewalls. You must carry the cyano from the rim to just over the edge of the sidewall. What this does is that it will stiffen the sidewall some, but it also causes the tire to lose grip as it rolls onto the cyano. And yes, if you carry the cyano over the edge, that is too far. If you run a battery or two, the cyano will wear back to the proper place and you'll know exactly how far to carry it on your next efforts.

I will keep this in mind.

A few other things you can try is to change your front ride height. Some times higher is better and sometimes lower is better. Cut back a bit on your servo travel. If your TX has a servo speed adjustment, try running that at 75%. then add some speed back in.

My TX does not have a speed control but I can use the D/R to see if it helps.

If the roll occurs in the latter part of the corner, that's usually the rear tire tucking under, but not always. What happens is the rear starts to slide, catches, and over she goes. Try adding a little more camber in this situation.

Camber front or rear? The front still has the stock solid bars but the rear has the adjustable links that comes with the rear uprights.

To my detractors out there if you find this post abrasive or offensive in any way, I'm sorry. This is as nice as I get.
Jason
Old 07-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default Yes, CA glue the outer sidewall of your front tires

Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Questions??

Hi all,

Great site and thread!

I'm sure this is a regular question on here!There is a lot to read through!

I have just bought myself an M05 Mini and I will be racing indoor only on carpet. I am very keen to find a good starting point for the set up. I have on order a 3 Racing alloy steering set up, Tamiya servo saver, TRF shocks, additional springs, and some other parts.

At my club we can only run the standard kit motor, NIMH batteries and standard or M grip tyres.

I have read through some set ups but the cars seem to run on lipo's and are on quicker motors, so I wonder if that makes a difference.

So, can anyone recommend a good starting point regarding the shock build, springs, and oil?

Cheers all!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boons
Hi all,

Great site and thread!

I'm sure this is a regular question on here!There is a lot to read through!

I have just bought myself an M05 Mini and I will be racing indoor only on carpet. I am very keen to find a good starting point for the set up. I have on order a 3 Racing alloy steering set up, Tamiya servo saver, TRF shocks, additional springs, and some other parts.

At my club we can only run the standard kit motor, NIMH batteries and standard or M grip tyres.

I have read through some set ups but the cars seem to run on lipo's and are on quicker motors, so I wonder if that makes a difference.

So, can anyone recommend a good starting point regarding the shock build, springs, and oil?

Cheers all!

Hi Boons! Before you catch the wrath of any of the gurus on here try the SEARCH THREAD feature. I use it all the time and I usually find a lot more helpful solutions a lot faster that way. Good luck, bud!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Great last post grandpa. Thats the most gracious and positive post ive ever seen . Just curious are you going to race in tcs champs at tamiya this year . Keep the positive post comin .aand 1 more thing you are pretty much always correct with your posts on mini site , I just thought you were awfully harsh to newbies . And still are . But I'm old too so no worries.
Race well sir.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Cheers all!

Here's the best advice I can give you. Before buying too much stuff, visit the track and see what the local guys are using. If Mini racing in your area is like it is in mine, everyone will be happy to see a new face and you'll come home with information overload.

Set ups vary considerably from track to track and from surface to surface so it's difficult to give specific advice. Try your car out and if you're having problems, post your set up and some specifics on the track and layout. With that info, someone who has experience in those conditions will be able to give you more and better info.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by demoman588
Great last post grandpa. Thats the most gracious and positive post ive ever seen . Just curious are you going to race in tcs champs at tamiya this year . Keep the positive post comin .aand 1 more thing you are pretty much always correct with your posts on mini site , I just thought you were awfully harsh to newbies . And still are . But I'm old too so no worries.
Race well sir.
Yeah, I plan on competing in the Nationals this year. Feeling particularly magnanimous right now cause I lowered my lap times by nearly a full second on the new S-Grips this day. Still prefer the old ones tho cause you really have to "wheel it" to run fast times with the new ones. Going a little off line really costs you time, much more than before.

Nah, I'm not particularly hard on newbies. I'm not that selective.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Has anybody glued the sidewall of the S grips on the inside of the tire before mounting them? I was thinking of trying to build up the sidewall shoegoo before mounting them.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
Has anybody glued the sidewall of the S grips on the inside of the tire before mounting them? I was thinking of trying to build up the sidewall shoegoo before mounting them.
Yep, we've been playing with that in Cowtown quite a lot. Most have found gluing the inside of the sidewall on what will be the outside of the tire is effective in controlling the rolling under effect.

I'm also using a narrow band (2x19cm) of thin duct tape as an extra ply inside the tire to help the tread stay flat and last a bit longer. You can do this by turning the tire inside out, applying the tape around the inside of the carcass and then turn it right side in again. Make sure to really flatten it out once it's the right way again.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you. I'm at my club again tonight, using the Club's M03. I drove it last week which was the first time I have driven a Mini. I ran a 3rd, a 1st, and then won the B final

The majority of the guys run M03's and were saying don't buy an M05, get a used M03. Since I like buying new, I went and bought an M05

Therefore I determined to make it work to my advantage

Originally Posted by Granpa
Here's the best advice I can give you. Before buying too much stuff, visit the track and see what the local guys are using. If Mini racing in your area is like it is in mine, everyone will be happy to see a new face and you'll come home with information overload.

Set ups vary considerably from track to track and from surface to surface so it's difficult to give specific advice. Try your car out and if you're having problems, post your set up and some specifics on the track and layout. With that info, someone who has experience in those conditions will be able to give you more and better info.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you. I'm at my club again tonight, using the Club's M03. I drove it last week which was the first time I have driven a Mini. I ran a 3rd, a 1st, and then won the B final

The majority of the guys run M03's and were saying don't buy an M05, get a used M03. Since I like buying new, I went and bought an M05

Therefore I determined to make it work to my advantage

Damn, woke up out of a dead sleep with the best idea for making my Mini like the new S-Grips better. Now that I'm fully awake, the idea is gone. Driving me nuts.

However, since you've visited the track and found out what the locals were running, what next???? Okay, the basic set up as to springs and shock oil is pretty much the same between 05 and 03. Set your ride height at 5mm or less. Initially, set your car up with a lot of toe out for stability, then start dialing it out. The amount of toe out is a valuable tuning tool.

Unfortunately, I think you need a few other parts. A TA03 ball diff, the option front shock tower, and a set of roll bars. The TA03 diff cause you can build it tighter than the 05 ball diff and can be built from fairly loose to nearly locked up. The 05 ball diff, is loaded with negatives. They do work pretty well when they are set up right. The option shock tower cause the stock shock location is not very good. I don't use the very outside hole, but one of the other two. Roll bars, cause I just like roll bars. If you decide to use them, start with just the rear one and the heavier one of the two.

The adjustable rear camber link is also a must. If you've been around Minis for awhile, you can just build a set out of spare parts. Since you're new to Minis, just get the kit. It's a little pricey for what you get.

Thanks. I owe you one. I just remembered what it was that woke me up.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you. Would have the part no for the rear camber link?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.