Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

hi all i was just setting my shocks and was wondering what length are you all running mine are 58mm alround.
do run with them longer in the front?

cheers all

Ginge
Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

1 for Valentino
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-008b.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Tamiya Titanium coated suspension pin !
Hi mate, long time no see!! Is your online store web still active? please give me your link. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

that's awesome BW!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G-mini
hi all i was just setting my shocks and was wondering what length are you all running mine are 58mm alround.
do run with them longer in the front?

cheers all

Ginge
If you are running the plastic oil shocks, just build them like the instructions say, but put the longer of the two spacers on the parts "tree" under the piston before you install the shaft into the body. If I remember correctly, without taking one off my car, they end up being 56mm or so all around.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

your Fiat shell looks awsome Barry White, is it all paint?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve420
Haha...as fun as that video would be to make, I think I'll stay away from the 9T
9T Ezrun is just fine in the mini. Ive been running one for 4 months now, absolutely no gearbox issues,dogbones & (metal) outdrives are fine as well. Its not exactly pushing a heavy car around.

Its faaast, once it stops wheelspining
Only thing is the tamiya tyres just chew out with a 9T, I was replacing a pair
every 2nd weekend.
Changed to Sweep Mini tyres, they last almost forever with the 9T, they do seem to grip roll more thou.
The 9T motors are so cheap by themselves, just get one separatley with the normal 13T system.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7195

I couldnt get the ball diff to work properly with a 9T, kept pulling to one side under full power(both left or right). So now just running the standard diff
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JustMe2
If you are running the plastic oil shocks, just build them like the instructions say, but put the longer of the two spacers on the parts "tree" under the piston before you install the shaft into the body. If I remember correctly, without taking one off my car, they end up being 56mm or so all around.
i'm sorry i ment to say i've got 3 racing oil filled shocks

Cheers Ginge
Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry White
1 for Valentino
did Rossi ever ride for Ducati

he MAYBE will be riding for them in 2011

looks loverly though
Old 03-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G-mini
i'm sorry i ment to say i've got 3 racing oil filled shocks

Cheers Ginge
I run those. Run them per the kit. I use three hole pistons in the rear. 35w all round.
I also shortened the lower ball cup (threaded end) so the lower spring retainer sits lower.
This gives me a lower minimum ride height.
They seem to be of reasonable quality . Sand the pistons with ultra fine sandpaper if they aren't silky smooth in the shock bore.
Just be sure to clean it up properly...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any tips on building the M05 Pro?

As from what I have read here there is something going on about a nut retainer of some sort for the diff...

Also since I have purchased the Pro which wheel base should I select? I am going to be running this car at SMA (Sydney) and have looked through the manual and it is very unclear and am seeing a whole lot of referral of SWB, MWB, LWB but the instructions seem VERY un clear and UNDER detailed...

Any helpful tips on the build would be great as it is my first Mini

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RUF-VK
Any tips on building the M05 Pro?

As from what I have read here there is something going on about a nut retainer of some sort for the diff...

Also since I have purchased the Pro which wheel base should I select? I am going to be running this car at SMA (Sydney) and have looked through the manual and it is very unclear and am seeing a whole lot of referral of SWB, MWB, LWB but the instructions seem VERY un clear and UNDER detailed...

Any helpful tips on the build would be great as it is my first Mini

Thanks
Actually, the instructions are very clear. The problem is that you do flip some parts over when you build the different wheel bases. You really have to pay attention.

SWB 210mm length
MWB 225mm "
LWB 239mm " I think that's what it is.
Just supplied those numbers so you'd know which bodies fit.

One little detail that is easily overlooked is to grease the front chass channels that fit over the rear chassis half. If you don't clean up the parts and grease them, you will have an extremely difficult time getting them apart to service the gear box. I would also suggest building it as MWB or LWB car as they are much easier to drive and set up, IMO.

As far as hop ups go, just read back in this thread and you'll find all the advice you'll need. I do differ with the almost universal praise for the M05 ball diff however. It does work and work well, but the "teeny" 2mm diff screw worries me cause most of us crank down on the diff screw much tighter than we would ever do in a TC. Also, what we're finding out here, is that the outdrives seem to be pretty soft and wear quickly. One of the guys went back to the tried and true TA03 ball diff.

Hope that helps and you are going to have a ball with your new Mini. They can at times be a little finicky, but well worth the trouble to sort out
Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

i would also not build the stock shocks with the M05Pro

buy the alloy ones these are better and wont crack if you touch anything harder then a feather
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ...

hey all... having issues with my servo saver on my M03L kit.... no matter what happens it seems to skip during a race.... I read rc-mini and they say the hop-up part for this car is not all that great.... I have to keep it tamiya, so what are my other choice(s)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racerb
hey all... having issues with my servo saver on my M03L kit.... no matter what happens it seems to skip during a race.... I read rc-mini and they say the hop-up part for this car is not all that great.... I have to keep it tamiya, so what are my other choice(s)
i use a Kimbrough type servo saver and it works really well

think it needed some small nuts to hold the balls on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.