Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default 2-Mo5 Coopers

Got two to sell both with oil shocks and bearings. Low use on carpet only. Pm for info! Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sorry to get back on topic(lol)...

Quick question...which ball diff to get for the m05. Ta03 or the m05? I see several references to the ta03. Is it stronger, or better than the m05 diff?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default ezrun 13t and ip 3800mah 50c

A question to those of you using what seems to be a mental set up in your M03's, how regularly are you replacing the gears and what settings are you using on the esc?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nytryder
sorry to get back on topic(lol)...

Quick question...which ball diff to get for the m05. Ta03 or the m05? I see several references to the ta03. Is it stronger, or better than the m05 diff?
Get the TA03 ball diff. You can tighten it more than the M05.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Messed with one for awhile. More like trying to get the diffs right. Mr. All Speed has it now. Everything else on the car is ok, plastic. There was an SS version that has hopups on it. Tony Gray or Tim K has one and reviewed it awhile back.
Yeah! I want to check it out! Just curious more than anything else.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoop
A question to those of you using what seems to be a mental set up in your M03's, how regularly are you replacing the gears and what settings are you using on the esc?
Make sure you use a hardened pinion to preserve the gears. They last pretty well once this change has been done.
As for the esc,(presuming you mean the B/L HobbyWing) max out the timing and punch if the traction is good.
If traction is low, wind the punch back. Keep the timing up for top end
The HW is the best thing ever to happen to Tamiya Mini -EVER !!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

how you guys cure traction rolling?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
Make sure you use a hardened pinion to preserve the gears. They last pretty well once this change has been done.
As for the esc,(presuming you mean the B/L HobbyWing) max out the timing and punch if the traction is good.
If traction is low, wind the punch back. Keep the timing up for top end
The HW is the best thing ever to happen to Tamiya Mini -EVER !!
You are kidding me. Maxed out! Yes i have the 35amp HW esc and 13t motor. I have it all turned down and its destroying tyres. Cant imagine what it will be like cranked with a more powerful battery. Thanks a lot for the info
Old 08-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You are kidding me. Maxed out! Yes i have the 35amp HW esc and 13t motor. I have it all turned down and its destroying tyres. Cant imagine what it will be like cranked with a more powerful battery. Thanks a lot for the info
If you are using the kit tyres there is a solution ... throw them n the bin .. they are rubbish
Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jonest
how you guys cure traction rolling?

Thanks
One thing I would do is coat the out side, side wall with AC glue. That should be helpful for you.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cannon
If you are using the kit tyres there is a solution ... throw them n the bin .. they are rubbish
No using foams for carpet on the rear and treaded aftermarket for the front. We have found this prevents grip roll where we are.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

I've been running the same gear set for 9 months on my M03. Generally they won't get worn out from the power of the 13T motor.
It's if you hit things a lot, the sudden impact can dent the gears and then over a meeting or 2 they will shred themselves.
The settings are maximum punch and maximum timing, anything less than that and your top speed, punch out of corners and lap times will suffer.

To cure traction rolling on the M03 I have found a few things that can help:
Add weight to the car, mine is at 1340grams, other guys race theirs at up to 1500grams.
Tyres, try running a harder front tyre, softer rear. There are some tyres, Team Powers 36 for example that will make your car traction roll everywhere no matter what you do. If you just use them on the rear and try Ride 3035 or Sweep 40 on the front then it should calm it down. This is advice for tarmac/parking lots, not for carpet.
For springs, try running harder in front, softer in rear. I use ultra hard (purple) up front and soft (red) rear.
Try different width hexes, 6mm front and rear are a good start ... depends what body you use as to which hexes you can fit.
Lastly, alter your driving style. Driving flat out into a corner and hoping for the best can lead to traction rolls. Try braking/backing off a hint before the turns.
The M03 is fastest when it's right on the edge of tipping over
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Tim thanks for all that
Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tim I'm hoping to pick your brains a bit, and make some purchases at m-chassis.

I have a M05pro, will be racing on carpet (it's actually really worn down astro turf) and it's first run with stock kit gear except for foams front (30sh) and rear (27sh). It was a real bastard (also sorta fun) to drive, couldn't keep the tail under control no matter what I did. It's in SWB config with tamiya mini Cooper body. Hw 13t, gens ace stick pack lipo. 20t pinion.

Now I've tried year racing shocks, but they don't seem real good, so I need to replace them with something. Im also wondering what tyres you'd suggest, I can't really afford to blow a bunch of $$$ on a heap of different combos just to find I can't use most of them. I was thinking about sweep 40 on front and the 25 on rear (or the foams on rear). But I'm really only guessing.

Track info. The layout changes every few months but it's the size of a indoor soccer field. On my tc foam 35sh fronts and 32/30 rears are the go if that helps at all.

Any help would be great.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

I don't have a lot of carpet experience, but I've found that Tamiya M-grips all round, or S-Grips front/M-grips rear are a good tyre combination.
The other tyres I used were the xpress radial mini tyres.

I tried the Sweep 40 and 25's on carpet, but they didn't work at all, the car just spun around.

For shocks, you can't go past the Tamiya TRF mini shocks (54000) or black (84118). They will last a long time as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.