Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoop
Thats great. Many thanks. Going to suggest that we adopt them.
Well they've served us well over the past 3-4 years.

And because they include the Hobbywing system as the spec system it gets rid of the "I've got a better motor than you" stuff which is an unfortunate and unavoidable byproduct of silver/black can racing.

And..they're more fun too!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
Did you mean the tiny balls inside the thrust bearing? or the overall bearing assembly size?

I'm not 100% sure on the thrust bearing size but I know you can use a normal 1150 wheel bearing in place of the thrust bearing to really tighten up the diff action ... in fact, it's closer to a spool than a diff when you do that.
this is it http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-evo...h=595_744_1389
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
any idea what's the ball size in the thrust bearing assembly (TA03 ball diff)? Thanks in advance.
If I remember correctly they are 2mm.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tony gray
Well they've served us well over the past 3-4 years.

And because they include the Hobbywing system as the spec system it gets rid of the "I've got a better motor than you" stuff which is an unfortunate and unavoidable byproduct of silver/black can racing.

And..they're more fun too!
I think we will have to have a year when we can run both and then next year all swap to HW. Two further questions for you;1. what brushed motor would be compareable to the 13t and 2. what software do you run on the esc? Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Our original benchmark was the Black can Sport-Tuned motors which we used to use. And that's a pretty fair comparison as we found it took nearly 6 months before we started breaking the old lap records from the Sport-Tuned days with the Hobbywing systems fitted.
They 'FEEL' a hell of a lot quicker, but it's mainly a torque difference.

Software? We specify the complete HW system, so you use what they come with, and its not upgradeable.

And its pretty much unanimous here that this was the best change we ever made to Mini racing. Some of my HW systems are over 3 years old and still perfect.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Can you equate the black can to a turn of brushed motor so we can say you run the ezrun 13t or for example a 27turn brushed?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

We did test that at the time but it was so long ago that I cant recall the figures. I think the 27 turn was somewhere in the ballpark. If you can even find a 27 turn brushed motor now anyway?

In our experience, once everyone found out that the Hobbywing was able to be used (and was only $120 AUD for the complete system!) pretty much 99% of people changed within a few weeks, no-one ever run brushed motors again.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My M-03 with the Pro-Line Focus body
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-photo1.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-photo5.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-photo6.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tony gray
We did test that at the time but it was so long ago that I cant recall the figures. I think the 27 turn was somewhere in the ballpark. If you can even find a 27 turn brushed motor now anyway?

In our experience, once everyone found out that the Hobbywing was able to be used (and was only $120 AUD for the complete system!) pretty much 99% of people changed within a few weeks, no-one ever run brushed motors again.
Thats all good. Thanks again
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation Brushless for MINI?

I see a lot of racers wanting to convert to brushless for mini. Here in the land of Tamiya USA.com ( Aliso Viejo, California) we ran brushless in our 6 hour enduro and had a blast, motors never overheated, no gear failures, and very consistant speeds from start to finish. Being Tamiya Corporate is here in Irvine,Calif., A local MFG. NOVAK Elctronics provided us with their GTB-2 ESC's and 17.5 Ballistic motors. Speeds were like a nicely broken in Silver can but with much more bottom end torque, no lag out of the corners. Anyway, next year Fred Medal (Race Director) is going to have 2 classes for mini , one of them will be Brushless mini. I think everyone here is ready for moving forward away from brushed and heading towards brushless technology, this is the wave of the future, as it is in Australia and here in USA. Now Asia is there but not sure if Japan and Europe are ready to come out of the closet and see a bright new world of techological advancement!
Just my 2$
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is the plan to go with one of Tamiya's existing BL systems, or to bring an outside supplier in? We're in the process of switching to a spec BL combo here (Orca Q Spark 2200kv / Western Canada) and I'm interested in what Tamiya will choose and what price point it will be at.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Talking Tamiya Brushless systems

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Is the plan to go with one of Tamiya's existing BL systems, or to bring an outside supplier in? We're in the process of switching to a spec BL combo here (Orca Q Spark 2200kv / Western Canada) and I'm interested in what Tamiya will choose and what price point it will be at.
Even though Tamiya now makes a decent sensored brushless sysytem and they did some testing here and it does perform well compared to other MFG.
Fred said he doesn't want to get into motor and ESC warranty service at the track, because putting on a race and also having to deal with customer service is too time consuming so he rather have an outside mfg. do that side of the business.
Myself I would like to see an all Tamiya brushless system incorporated into the TCS races but I'm just a lonely track volunteer!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

PRICE was one of the major drivers for us when we made our decision as to what system to choose.
At the time (3 or so years back) no-one had heard of Hobbywing at all, yet look where they are now.
We tried systems from the 'major' manufacturers (i.e. Novak etc) but there was no escaping that they were $250 (AUD) as opposed to $120.
My personal goal at the time was to be able to buy a complete system for no more than the cost of a half decent ESC.
I still believe its the best thing we ever did. I have a total of 8 cars running our spec system, and I have never had a single failure of any type with any of them.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

how large should a mini track be? a few guys at the club are thinking that we have 2 tracks. 1 for tc, 1 for mini but no one wants to set the sizes
so what would the min/max for a mini 40x20? is that way too small?

thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by p-Lo
My M-03 with the Pro-Line Focus body
That is sooooooooooo BADA$$!!!!!! No wonder I get all my bodies painted by Pedrissimo Paintwerks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.