Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

Originally Posted by rkhess
if you are running 1st gen havok u will need fans or run 4.5FDR...eventhough u shouldnt have 2 ...the new havok pro is a whole lot better
hey guys...you really missed a good one today..my hats off to all the racers today....

Brandon and Keith really danced a good dance...going back and forward, truly awesome racing...made me pull over to watch..and I was in the race..lol...

Tomlin and my nephew Yung "SPIDEY"...you 2 "JR's" are not fooling anyone...man you are going to be "A" main bound in the next week or two...I still cant believe how much you guys have stepped up to race with the big boys and holding your own...very nice racing...."where you at Daniel"...break time is over...come get some!...said Spidey

Glad to see you back in the swing Donald"TQ"...you really earned that name today....nice racing with you..even if you cost me extra "honey-do-time"...lol...hope everything goes well and see soon...

as for everybody else...bring it this Sunday Nov 22nd for the Thunder Trans-am Turkey Tag Trophy Race...say that 3x's fast......

cya next Sunday
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I would really like to see the VTA go to a completley spec class
Motor/speed control/battery
kinda like the slash class without the chassis limitation!Look how big the slash class is and with the above rule
I think this would even make things tighter yet!This new speedo timing thing kinda defeats the purpose of spec racing and the battery of the month also!Just my opinion whats yours?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Raced at Ft. Wayne leg of the Great Lakes series on Sunday. I was using a TC3 and a LRP TC Spec controller. The Tekin drivers should have had their boost turned off. All I can say is that I was NOT getting beat by timing or boost. I was fighting too much traction issues with my TC3 (at least bad front tires), but when I could turn a good lap I was withing a few tenths of the person who won. He was not faster than me in the straight nor noticeably in the infield - he just drove better.

Overall I didn't see any car that looked to have a speed advantage among the A-main drivers. It really came down to setup/driving. I can't say I'm happy that I had a bad day, but I can go home satisfied that I was competing on a level playing field.

I think creating common sense rules for the current crop of speed controls is about the best option.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 11-16-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Lack of sleep due to COLTS VICTORY!!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think part of the reason the slash class is as big as it is is because the vehicle comes with most of the gear in question. And even there, if someone wants to go wallet racing, you can do that with the stock titan motor.

the TC3 / TC4 by me has too much traction if I recall from what the guy was saying to me compared to my car which is loose in the rear. funny how that works out with different chassis.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

I like the imput here it's good to here!They alway's say a loose car is a fast car

This is truely a FUN class to race in!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think if you don't let the class evolve naturally it will fade away . Technology is a good thing, tracks make money from selling new parts and equipment to stay in business. I`m not a shop owner just a racer , and I think we should take advantage of all that is offered including the new HPI #102993 &102994 tires.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Legend

yeah, it can definitely be fast, my problem is I get a tad out of shape on the long sweeper. But, it had loads of steering.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My 2 cents.
I race in a couple of clubs. There are people who are running 27 turn and 21.5.
I started in this class last season using 21.5 LiPo and will not go back to round cells. Yes I am running Tekin speedo and with boost. Yesterday I barely made A-Main. My car was so unpredictable I had a hard time controlling it. Couple of weeks ago my car was the one to beat. I think it makes it interesting and like somebody mentioned earlier you can't stop progress. I made a point to buy 21.5 motors and BL speedos here on RC tech, Ebay and other boards so I can resell them to fellow racers. Its racing and racing can't be to slow. To even out the field for next few weeks we are trying 5 cell 27 turn against BL LiPo. The cars/chassis we are running can handle 6 cell 27 turn, thats what they were made for anyway. In both clubs VTA is the biggest class. We get 20 to 30 entries each week.
In VTA we have some fast guys running 13.5 rubber touring, some 17.5 foam touring class. I am trying 13.5 rubber, but don't have good luck with it.
Chassis I am running is RDX Phi '07, but we have there anything from TC3 to Phi '09.
I even have a driver in my car. I came across Wild Willy's driver on Ebay and had to have it. You can't see the guy, unless body is off, but its funny.

Rob
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

I agree technologey is good but also can be bad because not everyone is diehard!Thats why the slash is common because it a charge your battery and go class and you don't have to devote your self to race!It's a class for the little guy,a guy with kids who want to race (basically the back yard basher can rub fenders with the fast guy's)Low tech,low budget racing!I know VTA is a little different because it is a racers class and the Tamiya mini's is kinda the slash class of onroad but technolgey can also run people off!Remeber what dyno's and nimah batteries did to the sport!The Lipo/brushless thing reserged electric because it made the common joe be able to compete again with the big guy's and not go broke trying or feel out classed!The speed control/motor war can kill things!That's also why nitro was big is big!This is my opinion i have been around this hobby for 25 years and have seen alot of ups and downs!I race as a teenager to a adult and got my son to start with me when he was 6 and now he's a adult and had alot of fun in this hobby!We have won races and did the dyno/battery matching thing,I had alot of people who use to want to do it but when seen what type of equipment it took changed there mind,now people are not as quite intimdated that things are a little simplar!RC racing is a GREAT Hobby and hope to do it for many more years!It is fun when there are A,B,and C features so i hope technologey don'y ruin it again!Like i said just a opinion!
Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I think if you don't let the class evolve naturally it will fade away . Technology is a good thing, tracks make money from selling new parts and equipment to stay in business. I`m not a shop owner just a racer , and I think we should take advantage of all that is offered including the new HPI #102993 &102994 tires.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by 37 RACING
The speed control/motor war can kill things!That's also why nitro was big is big!
I think the reason nitro was big was the amount of runtime you got for a tank of fuel versus having to carry around a warchest of batteries, etc as well as the maintenance needed for the "long" 4-5 minute runtimes you got.

Nitro has its own set of issues when it comes to competitive racing, especially in the cost of the nitro engines versus performance. That is one of the real nice things about 1/8 electric right now, even the cheap setups provide more power than you need.

Now, with lipo and brushless, you can actually truely run for a long time on a pack, and not need a warchest or if there is special tuning going on with your motor and esc, its mainly software you find yourself playing with. Alot more accessible than whipping out the motor dyno and tweaking brushes and motor springs. i remember those days in stock and 19T touring, it sucked.

Here is a question for you VTA experts, what are the handling characterstics of the various bodies out there now, and which body is considered the best handling right now. Wonder if a different body will help with keeping my car more planted in the rear.

Last edited by Cain; 11-16-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Actually I am very glad they are people who want to run brushed motors, speedos and round cells. For some is a way to get in inexpensively, for some is what they know and are not ready for new stuff.
I set on my stuff for a year after I made a switch and still was able to sell it.
My pit box is getting smaller. Instead of dischargers, lathes, dynos I have to pack my laptop.

Rob
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

Here is a question for you VTA experts, what are the handling characterstics of the various bodies out there now, and which body is considered the best handling right now. Wonder if a different body will help with keeping my car more planted in the rear.
I'm not an expert on VTA, but I think that it depends how you set your car.
I run with the mustang with no lid or wing attach to it, I setup my car for this body and so far is doing well racing at "the Track" in MD
I try the Camaro body with the same setup in my car and the car start pushing. but for some other races at this track the camaro works best, so it depends how you setup the car
Old 11-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cain

I am not an expert, but the only difference I noticed is between Parma's cuda and HPI Mustang and Camaro. The Cuda was really pushing and huge. As far as I can tell HPI bodies behave about the same. I choose Camaro for being one piece and stronger front.

Rob
Old 11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Raced at Ft. Wayne leg of the Great Lakes series on Sunday. I was using a TC3 and a LRP TC Spec controller. The Tekin drivers should have had their boost turned off. All I can say is that I was NOT getting beat by timing or boost. I was fighting too much traction issues with my TC3 (at least bad front tires), but when I could turn a good lap I was withing a few tenths of the person who won. He was not faster than me in the straight nor noticeably in the infield - he just drove better.

Overall I didn't see any car that looked to have a speed advantage among the A-main drivers. It really came down to setup/driving. I can't say I'm happy that I had a bad day, but I can go home satisfied that I was competing on a level playing field.

I think creating common sense rules for the current crop of speed controls is about the best option.
I race VTA at three vastly different tracks, and the smallest track is so technical that I turn the Tekin's Boost OFF and end up gearing well above the 4.2 FDR. However, the two larger tracks need lots of timing, boost, and gear to leave vapor trails down the straights and through the long sweepers.

In my opinion as a racer and race organizer, USVTA's optional rule regulating the use of high-advanced-rocketassisted-exponentially-2ndGear-timing ESCs allows each track the flexibility to provide close racing. Since these ESC and gearing changes are simple, enforcing this rule is the only hurdle. The Tekin and LRP ESCs can be neutered, but this remains to be seen about the new CRC and Novak units. We'll see!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

There's the problem the ability to police these speed controls on the local level .That's tough and real time consuming!
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe

In my opinion as a racer and race organizer, USVTA's optional rule regulating the use of high-advanced-rocketassisted-exponentially-2ndGear-timing ESCs allows each track the flexibility to provide close racing. Since these ESC and gearing changes are simple, enforcing this rule is the only hurdle. The Tekin and LRP ESCs can be neutered, but this remains to be seen about the new CRC and Novak units. We'll see!

Last edited by 37 RACING; 11-16-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.