Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kp-61
to the gurus

I am looking for cheap lipo to start. Is there a significant diff with a 20C to 25C packs running on 21.5t brushless? 20C is 3200 while the 25 is 4000

I was looking to get a used Havoc setup with 21.5t motor.

thanks !
I run a 3400/25c and it definitely drops off just a tad at the end of the 8 minute mains. I would reccomend getting the most mAh your budget can afford, whereas the C rating isn't as important for our 21.5 class.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
I personally like the idea, but already have a few "seasoned drivers" who want to run RCGT instead next season, just because of the driver heads.

This may actually be a good thing to get the better drivers into the faster RCGT class, and leave the Vintage class to the more casual guys who like true "scale" racing....
I don't race USVTA but I see Ray's point. Leave the Vintage class to the casual drivers and let them enjoy the class. Don't bring what's required to run touring sedan's competitively to this class and it will grow. All that stuff adds extra cost, outside of driving away the "casual guy" because now he can't compete.

I don't know if Operation: "Driver Head" was to get these guys out of the class, but it's working. Don't let them ruin it for you all, keep up the good fight. Especially that Scooby guy...anything that keeps him out the class is a success.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I run a 3400/25c and it definitely drops off just a tad at the end of the 8 minute mains. I would reccomend getting the most mAh your budget can afford, whereas the C rating isn't as important for our 21.5 class.
Seriously??

After winning the main at our race last Sunday (our very first LiPo / 21.5 race) I was amazed that after 8 minutes I only put about 1500mah back into my Orion 3200 pack. That ain't far enough "down" the discharge curve for a hack like me to notice any "drop off".
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Battman when you ran the enduro VTA race and lasted 28minutes on one pack. What was the capacity and rating on that pack?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Battman when you ran the enduro VTA race and lasted 28minutes on one pack. What was the capacity and rating on that pack?
it is a SMC 4000 28c (red carbon fiber)....and its still good to go, still with plenty of punch and still getting plenty of run time on it..awesome battery!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm also only using up about 1500MAH per race.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Default 2009-2010 THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

I would like to invite you guys to.....

Thunder Raceway presents....
2009-2010 THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

format:
-1 race per month will be a "MSR" (Myron Stupid Race)
-This race will be a money,trophy, or prize race
-You are given points at this race for the series
-Your points will be added up and awards will be given at the On-road Finale
-You have to attend one other race per month to be eligible for points

rules for classes:
http://coolspringsracing.com/Rules.html
or
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
-Each MSR will be different
-Points will be awarded as followed:
100 for 1st, 99 for 2nd, 98 for 3rd and so on, 1 extra for TQ or concourse

dates:
RD 1-Oct 25th-Halloween Cash 4 Dash
RD 2-Nov 22nd-Turkey Tag Race
RD 3-Dec 27th-Christmas Enduro
RD 4-Jan 17th-Thunder Jam Championship 2
RD 5-Feb 27 0r 28th-Trans-am Rally 1000
FINAL RD-Mar 21st-On-road Finale

-Touring car and 12th scale are welcome on these MSR races as well.
-all TA classes can run if enough show to run, incl: expert,sportsman,rookie, and Jr.

Sponsored by KRC,HPI,USVTA

NOTE: we will have club/points races all winter long. Check the calendar at

http://www.thunderRCraceway.com/
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-normal_dsc_0008.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darksideracing025m.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There was an informal pole in line at the Snowbirds and most guys seemed to be putting 1000-1200 mah into their packs. Mike Hayes said he put 800 mah into his, which would make sense if his driving and good corner speed helped him be more efficient.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

iir they didn't run 8-minute mains at Snowbirds, and the numbers given would line up very nicely with 5 or 6 minute heats. Other than 800 seems AWFULLY low--sounds like a Mike Haynes psych-job to me. I could see a BIT (like MAYBE 5-10%, but 20-50% says to me that there was some misunderstanding or inaccuracy involved.

I went back and checked my data book and see that I put 1383mah back into the pack after my 8-minute main. I was pretty sure it was in the 1300's but couldn't remember for sure and didn't want to under-report when I was questioning someone else's results (the fellow who thinks he felt his car going flat during the heat).
Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Yes it was 6 minutes, and 8 minute mains.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

OK so now you guys have me wondering if my charger will show me how many mah I put into a pack.

It might sound crazy or lazy or maybe something in between, but I was looking at those brand new 12000mah MaxAmps packs and was thinking that I could just run it all day without recharging it. I just wonder if I can get it crammed into the car.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Drivers heads seem like more of personal cosmetic liking over that of really trying to "spec" the class.
Simple BASIC moves for Vintage TA like enforcing the No Timing Boost rule to keep the V-TA cars around the same speed should be good enough. Same Motors, Same Batteries, Hell, if you still feel a need for a hint of anal atmosphere, types of chassis should come into play. A V-TA body on an XRay or Cyclone, vs a V-TA body on a Sprint 2? C'mon, do the math, and please don't bring in any individual "My Sprint 2 beats Xrays" success stories, I'm talking on a full scale here...The fast guys are always -going -to -be the fast guys, that's in all racing, so none of this will hurt them. Just run everything the same with the V-TA body options... I always get this look when asking why can't everything go full spec for "SPEC" classes?...Just my 2 pennies and personal opinon on it all. RCGT will always be on the move due to the fact that it grabs the attention of the tour car racers. It's more open to their preference. RCGT will have a nice mix of the two types of racers (casual and competitive) ...Vintage TA can do the same.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ919
Drivers heads seem like more of personal cosmetic liking over that of really trying to "spec" the class.
Simple BASIC moves for Vintage TA like enforcing the No Timing Boost rule to keep the V-TA cars around the same speed should be good enough. Same Motors, Same Batteries, Hell, if you still feel a need for a hint of anal atmosphere, types of chassis should come into play. A V-TA body on an XRay or Cyclone, vs a V-TA body on a Sprint 2? C'mon, do the math, and please don't bring in any individual "My Sprint 2 beats Xrays" success stories, I'm talking on a full scale here...The fast guys are always -going -to -be the fast guys, that's in all racing, so none of this will hurt them. Just run everything the same with the V-TA body options... I always get this look when asking why can't everything go full spec for "SPEC" classes?...Just my 2 pennies and personal opinon on it all. RCGT will always be on the move due to the fact that it grabs the attention of the tour car racers. It's more open to their preference. RCGT will have a nice mix of the two types of racers (casual and competitive) ...Vintage TA can do the same.

sounds good in theory, but I was racing an 11 year old car that I could not get parts for anymore, and had to buy a new car. If this rule was in place I would have to buy a used car that doesn't have the adjustability of a new car? Let folks run whatever they want - then when your photon gets beat by a TC3 it's your own fault (in my defense it _WAS_ a BMI TC3 )
Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

dont get me started on my TC3...lol..oh heck he is a pic for the heck of it
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-007.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-016.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-003.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Not that I would choose it over other newer options like a T2 09 or a Photon. But I would like to see more about this BMI TC3 I never knew Jason did an upgrade for those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.