Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It looked rough only because of the format.

That was our enduro race where I averaged qualifying times to come up with a handicap system. Then in the enduro mains I gave laps to each driving team so everyone was on a very level playing field. Since you didn't really know how many laps the guy in front of you was going to get, it was important to pass as fast as possible.

And Chase - your videos need more shots of that really fast grey Cuda...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

LOL.. thanks..

Yah i really just had to run and grab the camera drop it somewhere decent and go get my stuff ready ....

There was around 2 hours of driving cause it was a LONG enduro race. My editting made it look rough.

I still have alot to learn but it was fun to make.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zake540
Did Smokey and the Bandit race TransAm back in the days?

http://www.rccarkings.net/special%20...tm#newvehicles
Awesome find! It's not that much different of a shape than the already-approved 1970 camaro, so I'm going to cross my fingers this body gets the nod of approval in the official rules in short order.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default 21.5 and Lipo

Quick question for everyone: Is the 21.5 Lipo combo worth it?

I'm currently running a TC4 w/ 17.5 and the 4 cell combo w/ LRP SPX Stock spec ESC on high traction carpet. I'm in the B main and have noticed all the drivers in the A are running ther 21.5 lipo combo. Is it a big difference or is it solely thier driving ability?

I have 2 weeks before my tracks next point series starts and if it's worth switching now is the time.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Last edited by Tiger72; 06-22-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Absolutely YES. The 21.5 combo is worth every penny.

Not for the reason you think, though.

In Palm Bay, Florida most of us are running the Havoc 21.5/Lipo combo and we love it. The primary reason why is running time. We've found that with that combo we can practice and work on setup for about 10 minutes and then run two 5-minute qualifiers with a 4000mah battery.

The ability to NOT worry about charging/discharging and all that crap makes the day incredibly enjoyable.

IMO, switch. You'll love it. You may also find that since you aren't worrying about batteries you can work on driving and setup and start making those A-mains.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Absolutely YES. The 21.5 combo is worth every penny.

Not for the reason you think, though.

In Palm Bay, Florida most of us are running the Havoc 21.5/Lipo combo and we love it. The primary reason why is running time. We've found that with that combo we can practice and work on setup for about 10 minutes and then run two 5-minute qualifiers with a 4000mah battery.

The ability to NOT worry about charging/discharging and all that crap makes the day incredibly enjoyable.

IMO, switch. You'll love it. You may also find that since you aren't worrying about batteries you can work on driving and setup and start making those A-mains.
+1
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How was your VTA racing this past weekend? Hopefully turn-outs were good and the weather was nice.

Normal Friday night VTA at Indy Slots had 12 entries. Top 4 in the A-main all had a shot to win. Multiple lead changes in the main between the top 2 cars.

Parking lot racing at Hobbytown Indy North had 8 VTA racers. Top 3 cars all were all close. Top 2 cars had a great battle for the 1st 5 minutes until the leader clipped a plow disk. Weather was great and we almost had a fly-over from Snoopy2 (MetLife blimp).

2 good days of VTA racing.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

It is definetly worth it!! I have to run 27T & NiMH until I can afford new stuff and I'm getting blown away by the 21.5/Lipo guys.

Originally Posted by Tiger72
Quick question for everyone: Is the 21.5 Lipo combo worth it?

I'm currently running a TC4 w/ 17.5 and the 4 cell combo w/ LRP SPX Stock spec ESC on high traction carpet. I'm in the B main and have noticed all the drivers in the A are running ther 21.5 lipo combo. Is it a big difference or is it solely thier driving ability?

I have 2 weeks before my tracks next point series starts and if it's worth switching now is the time.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

You aren't getting blown away. This past weekend you were 30 seconds from the TQ and first place racer in the main in an 8 minute race. How much of that is motor and how much of that 30 seconds is talent?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

That's difficult to quantify-the particuliar day you're referring to the first place driver was better than me. If I had 21.5/Lipo it wouldn't have been thirty seconds. I've had several people, including your son, tell me if I ran 21.5/Lipo I'd be a lot faster.I know how clich'e it sounds when you hear someone say "If I had X batteries and Y motor" I'd be three laps faster" but I feel I would be faster, not three laps faster, but faster.
Every week I work on getting my car a little faster, I enjoy the challenge of competing with lesser equipment ( my 4.8v vs. a Lipo's 7.4v) it makes car setup and driving that much more crucial. When I upgrade it'll be that much better.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Don't count on that set up working after you upgrade. If you really do end up going faster with the LiPo, you'll have more punch and carry more corner speed.

That means you'll need to re-set up your car to handle that speed in and out of corners.

You'll also need to re-balance your car. Make sure the left/right weight distribution is 50/50. Then try to get the front/rear weight close to that as well.

Have fun.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
You aren't getting blown away. This past weekend you were 30 seconds from the TQ and first place racer in the main in an 8 minute race. How much of that is motor and how much of that 30 seconds is talent?
Its hard to deny the punch they have coming out of the corners. Thats where they look like they are faster than the 4/27 setup.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Its hard to deny the punch they have coming out of the corners. Thats where they look like they are faster than the 4/27 setup.
If you have good NiMh cells, 27T is as fast or faster than 21.5. One of our best racers in Indy has won with all three motor/battery combos. It's a matter of setup and clean driving. At my track, 30 seconds behind means 4 laps down.

Beating this dead horse won't bring it back to life, fellas.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have been running the 4cell/27 combo and unless you have the killer cells in your car they got ya beat hands down (I'm running 4600's). I can run lap times comparable to the fast guys for the first 2 minutes of the run before I notice my batteries starting to go away. Off the corners they pull me every time, even the slowest guy running the brushless motors pulls away from me off the corners. I finally concluded that the brushless guys just have the better power plant hands down, it can be argued all day long but they do. I am getting ready to put in a brushless/lipo combo in my car just so I can finally compete on a level playing field. Just my two cents worth........
Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mav913
I have been running the 4cell/27 combo and unless you have the killer cells in your car they got ya beat hands down (I'm running 4600's). I can run lap times comparable to the fast guys for the first 2 minutes of the run before I notice my batteries starting to go away. Off the corners they pull me every time, even the slowest guy running the brushless motors pulls away from me off the corners. I finally concluded that the brushless guys just have the better power plant hands down, it can be argued all day long but they do. I am getting ready to put in a brushless/lipo combo in my car just so I can finally compete on a level playing field. Just my two cents worth........
Where do you race? MSI on wed nights? I do.

Just wondering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.