Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 12-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Old 12-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

One of my favorites...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Old 12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

LOL the wife prack was best one
Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Hmm...a couple questions.

First, what other TC cars do you run? You indicated "any of my TC cars" in your initial post. Or are they ALL Tamiya. "My TC car" would imply one, "Either of my" would imply two, "any of my TC cars" would certainly seem to imply 3 or more.

Second, your first post quite plainly says "can't" while your subsequent responses seem to be vacilating on that to where now it seems it will merely be, perhaps, inconvenient...perhaps requiring you to purchase a gear or two?

Third, first they won't fit, then the concern seems to be that pinion and spur combo might be too small and not reach each other. How long have you been involved in RC? If you're to the happy condition that the gears won't reach then you (should, anyway) know for fact that a combination can then be had that will give the desired fdr AND reach together to mesh.

Kinda sounds like another red-herring argument was thrown into the mix perhaps? Like I said, the most gearing-limited car I'm familiar with can do 3.5 with relative ease. Took me about 30 seconds with a Dremel and a grinding bit.

Hmmm.... some one sounds a little hostile?

First of all, I didn't think I needed to go into great detail about "all" of the cars I have. I thought it was a moot point, but it really seems to matter to you. Sorry, I should first describe everything in detail to the entire world before I ask or state a question on this forum.

Second, my initial point was (maybe not in the words you were looking for) that I would rather spend $15 on new gears (if they fit) instead of $80 (or $40 for a rebuild) for a motor and $? for a new ESC. By the way, I currently use a Havoc for my VTA car, so i know that's not an issue for me, might be for others

Third, whether I use gears that are big or small, I think I know what will fit on my car, I have been doing this toy car thing for quite some time. If you work on your own car, you know that you have limited amount of room for your motor to travel. That said, some cars can have a limited range (maximum and minimum) gear selection.

Thought I was only voicing an opinion, but you seem to very protective of this class. I guess the one's that aren't so eloquent of getting their point across as you, should just stay out.

I liked this class, I started a business around it, just thought that it would be a little cheaper to stay in it.

No turbo and raising the FDR would have been less expensive.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
Thought I was only voicing an opinion
No--you made a statement of fact that was, at best, inaccurate and could easily be seen as intentionally misleading. You stated quite clearly that you plain could not make that level of gearing work. When you were called on that it was suddenly, perhaps, possible but wouldn't necessarily be convenient.

You also implied, not accidentally I'm sure, that this inability to "make gear" affected more than one car (hence the "any of my TCs")...the effect of which is to create the impression that this "challenge" wasn't limited to just one car but might be a common thread among TC's in general so that maybe everyone should have doubt about this.

I merely pointed out the FACT that this is likely a non-issue. A red-herring argument lodged in an attempt to register displeasure with the stated changes. The HONEST input is "I don't like the change and don't want to", what you said was "I can't" which absolutely is not true. Everybody gets an opinion, but be honest about it. Making blanket statements that aren't true to "support" your argument doesn't do anyone any good in the long run.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
So I just spent in the last month hundreds of dollars to set up my self and my 2 sons up to go racing in the VTA class. I have just purchased 3 speed controllers, 3 21.5 motors and such equipment. Now you are suggesting I go out and purchase 3 more spec speed controllers as well as 3 additonal motors or motor upgrades, new gears and such so I can conform to the standard rules...

I just got started and now already cannot afford to swap everything out as well as when myself and my 2 boys are ready to move up to a higher level of racing I would then need to purchuse even more esc's in order to be competitive.

I think the rules really need to take into consideration the abiilty to mutli-task the equipment used so people do not need to reinvest to race another class.

One of the major points of VTA racing was that we could all be competitive with standard or slighly old equipment and now we all have to puchase new stuff.

This class has gotten to expensive before I have even really got started!

You cannot expect to bring new people into the hobby and keep asking them to spend money that we don't have!

Drivers in the car... Common it is a hobby!!! You want drivers in the car go race real cars...

Just my -98cents worth!

Happy New Year
You contradict yourself, first you say you want good enough electronics to be able to step up to the next class, then say the point of VTA was to competitive with standard or old equipment.

Which is it?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

roflpwnage......
Old 12-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Correct

Originally Posted by TwoTone
You contradict yourself, first you say you want good enough electronics to be able to step up to the next class, then say the point of VTA was to competitive with standard or old equipment.

Which is it?
You are correct I did contridict my self in my rant...

I am just frustrated that I will now have to spend alot more money for all three cars to meet the new rules. But I liked the idea that I should be able to run old equipment and be just as competitive, but we now know that will not be the case.

No matter what rules you put in place, the better drivers and masters of setup will always rise to the top. So I guess it really does not matter. Let have fun and race!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CSeils
I'll look into it but I'm pretty sure that that won't work either. If both gears are too small the motor will hit the rear gear box and the gears will never mesh.

I'd rather buy gears then a new motor any day.
The easiest way to figure out what will (or won't) fit is just to see what the largest and smallest pinions are that you can fit with your current spur. (You don't need to actually have a tiny spur to figure it out.) The total number of teeth is what matters. On a TC3, the minimum number of teeth (without major "Dremeling") is 89, the maximum is 108 (slight Dremeling). With a 60T spur I can fit anything from a 29 to a 47 pinion (48 pitch) for an FDR from 5.17 to 3.19.

Poking around Tower Hobbies I see that they now sell 48P spurs all the way down to 49 teeth, and 64P spurs down to 73 teeth. I've seen some 12th scale cars and oval cars that look like they've almost got a 1:1 ratio on them, so the gears are out there, you just have to figure out which spur gets you in the right range.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Kevin, thanks for the info. Didn't see those before. Now I know what to order in nine months.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Maybe it's time for a new thread.

Classic VTA Racing will be for those that feel there was no need for a change and no need to spend more money.

The new rule change will be the sportsman class!!

I'll keep what I have, if it's not allowed than a different class with less bitching and whining and keyboard junkies is what I will persue.

+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.