Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Did you get it from Jeff? What do you think of the new shop? I think he's got a lot more stuff in a lot less space.
I did get it from Jeff. I've been to the shop a few times before yesterday...it's a nice shop. I wouldn't say he has a lot more stuff, just more variety. He has some planes, helicopters, some offroad and drift stuff. He has more of the RC market covered. He's cool guy too. He came in on his day off yesterday to ship kits out to everyone who preordered so they could get them as soon as possible. He even stayed open a little late so I could pick up my kit. Good customer service
Old 12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Also, what brands of quality spurs can be used with the 4 hole pattern Tamiya uses? I see the PRS gears with the older hole pattern will work, but I think those have been updated. I've got a couple of the old style PRS in 88 teeth (64 pitch) that I'll use for 13.5, but I'd like some backups.
I use Xenon spurs. Speedtechrc carries about every size spur gear you might want
Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
I use Xenon spurs. Speedtechrc carries about every size spur gear you might want
Cool, thanks!

If the new Speedtech guy can keep things in stock more regularly than the last guy, it's going to be a great shop.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Cool, thanks!

If the new Speedtech guy can keep things in stock more regularly than the last guy, it's going to be a great shop.
Jeff got a large order of spurs in a few weeks ago. he should have what ever you need.

I'm not going to comment about Steve other than to say he's done a great job over the years and did his best to provide great customer support and product. This is not an easy industry to work in and be profitable. Unfortunately, the industry changed quickly. There was a big shift to offroad that has really hurt us onroad guys but really hurt shop owners.

Anyway, I reallly wish Steve well in his future endeavors. He's also a great guy.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Agreed, I use either Xenon or RW.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Anyway, I reallly wish Steve well in his future endeavors. He's also a great guy.
Agree with that too, always had great experiences when dealing with Steve.

By the sounds of it, Jeff looks to be carrying on the great Speedtech reputation.... Hell, I even put an order in to him this morning
Old 12-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use Xenon, RW, and PRS spurs. I use RW when I can since PRS with the right holes are getting harder for me to find locally. And our local shop carries RW.

I have a question, is the aluminum air duct the same part as on the MRE/MSXX? I have 3 sitting around here for my MRE. I use the ducts to switch between different ESC for different events. On one duct is my KO esc to run brushed motors at say Roar type events or TCS racing last year. My other duct has my Novak brushless esc mounted up for club racing. So it's like PnP esc for me. Just curious if they are the same between 415 and 416.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Steve always carried everything I needed...I hardly bought anything from anywhere else...but you had to get in there and get it while it was there.

Jeff's just buying a little "deeper" and re-ordering more often. I can't even imagine how much work it must be to run a shop like that single-handedly.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I use Xenon, RW, and PRS spurs. I use RW when I can since PRS with the right holes are getting harder for me to find locally. And our local shop carries RW.

I have a question, is the aluminum air duct the same part as on the MRE/MSXX? I have 3 sitting around here for my MRE. I use the ducts to switch between different ESC for different events. On one duct is my KO esc to run brushed motors at say Roar type events or TCS racing last year. My other duct has my Novak brushless esc mounted up for club racing. So it's like PnP esc for me. Just curious if they are the same between 415 and 416.
As I understand it from Champ, they are the same duct...

and I'll be doing exactly the same thing, B/L speedo on one duct, brushed on the other.... one screw and the ESC is out, too easy

Ed
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I've always liked Speedtech, and have bought from them on numerous occasions. I'm glad the store's tradition will continue, and look forward to improved inventory.

I have some RW spurs, but the holes didn't line up. I wonder if the guy at PRS has some of the older style around, or would be willing to run a batch? He seems pretty receptive to racers' needs.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Lord

I -love- how much room there is for electronics on this car.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-img_9896.jpg  
Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks nice!

I see you run a Kimbrough Med Servo Saver Black correct? If you find you aren't getting enough steering, or the steering seems off/sluggish/slow, check the servo saver. They are nice servo savers, but they wear out and get weak. I sometimes don't run a servo saver. Steering feels much better that way for me. But it's at the cost of servo gears if you have a big crash. I'm goin back to the Tamiya saver. But with the aluminum parts instead of plastic.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Hey

I build mine last night and when i install servo it was pain to cut (new servo) servo lower ear bit off becuase the frontbelt
Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Looks nice!

I see you run a Kimbrough Med Servo Saver Black correct? If you find you aren't getting enough steering, or the steering seems off/sluggish/slow, check the servo saver. They are nice servo savers, but they wear out and get weak. I sometimes don't run a servo saver. Steering feels much better that way for me. But it's at the cost of servo gears if you have a big crash. I'm goin back to the Tamiya saver. But with the aluminum parts instead of plastic.
The Tamiya was very sloppy, so I tried the Kimbrough, which I've used in the past. I'm a little bit unsure of using a direct connection, I don't carry spare servo gears, though maybe I should.

I read somewhere about a servo saver that had pins in it that would break in a hard crash. Basically, when the pins were intact, it acted as if it were directly connected. If the pins broke, it acted as a normal servo saver. Anybody know which brand that might be? It seems like a reasonable compromise.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Tech Lord

http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...oducts_id=2187
http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...oducts_id=4956

That's the one. Seems like a neat idea. Has anybody tried it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.