Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:11 PM

my car did the same thing, for some reason, everyone else (other brand cars) can run 30 wt oil and 14 -`16 lb springs, my ssg needed 50wt and ae copper up front and red in the rear, then it settled in, also if you take the car with the front end in one hand the rear end in the other and twist you will hear a "snap" that is the tweak, take the pan head screws out of the top deck and replace with counter sunk screws, without counter sinking the deck. hope this heps, let us know.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Isn't a hot setup green springs all around?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool, you guys are giving me some hope, and a lot of help. I can't wait to try this all out today.

ritche, are you running the lower chassis brace? That's the thing I seem to hear about most with the SSG, to run it or not too. I've got mine out right now.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by melvinsarmy
Thanks Trevor, I'll try your suggestions. You might be right about the gear ratio. My friend even said he thought my car had a ton of torque. Hopefully it's just a matter of too much power. I'll try the other suggestions tomorrow too.
I run a Black SD with Novak SS as well.
I can confirm that you have way too much torque. I used to spin out all the time with 8'ish ratios(bad tyre choices will add to that problem)
Whatever the profile you're using with the BL, go for taller ratios. Mine is 6.5 if I'm not mistaken. If you have heat problems with the ESC, try an airscoop or a 5V fan plugged to the receiver.

Don't sell the car yet..!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default CGM kit..

hi guys... just to wanted to know more...
does the cgm kit comes with front one way??
and is the diff case and suspension arm made from graphite or have to buy as option??

the reason for asking is..

cheers...
Old 09-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks lee82gx. I tried a little taller gearing today. Just over and below 7. It's still spining, but not as easily. I'm going to order some new springs, oil, and some new tires, and some countersunk screws for the top.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

The CGM comes with everythings graphite, chassis, arms, gearbox, shock tower, etc. I believe those CGM kits go to the US have front diff, while the kits go to Europe and Asia come with one-way.
Regarding the SSG, most people remove the lower chassis brace, this reduces chassis tweak and the car seems to handle better.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

MELVINSARMY. Greetings from Malta.

We have 5 or 6 CGMs running out here and I have built them and set them all up. They are brilliant straight out of the box.

We find the stock silver springs great all round. I use AE green springs all round on mine - they are virtually the same poundage. Use 40 shock oil all round. Run Rayspeed towers front and rear with shocks on the middle hole front and rear. 2 degrees rear toe in. 2 degrees negative camber all round. About 1 degree toe out front. Zero kick up and anti dive. No roll bars. Droop 5 front and 3 rear. Go to 2 rear if the rear end is still loose.

I use a spool up front on mine but others use one ways or normal diffs with the same set up. Don't keep the rear diff too tight - I suspect this is your main problem.

I run my car with 7, 8 and 9 turn mod motors. It is ballistic and handles like a dream. Best car I've ever had.

Don't go too extreme with set ups. Believe me it's very good with the kit set up. Try it and let me know how you get on.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

johnbull: are the rayspeed towers lighter than the graphite towers in the CGM and does it offer additional holes for mounting?
Just asking, you would not feel the difference in Mod, but in stock i need to be as light as I can be.
And I like the bling factor of the CF towers.
Still waiting for my spool to arrive, will follow your set up when it does. Lastly, how is your track surface? I noticed you do not use swaybars? Peace and Happy Racing!
Thanks! Lem

SpeedDemon: If you get your CGM in ASIA it will have a one way. (ooooppps... caveman posts says it all!) if your getting one!! Best decision you will make in your lifetime!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally posted by johnbull
MELVINSARMY. Greetings from Malta.

We have 5 or 6 CGMs running out here and I have built them and set them all up. They are brilliant straight out of the box.

We find the stock silver springs great all round. I use AE green springs all round on mine - they are virtually the same poundage. Use 40 shock oil all round. Run Rayspeed towers front and rear with shocks on the middle hole front and rear. 2 degrees rear toe in. 2 degrees negative camber all round. About 1 degree toe out front. Zero kick up and anti dive. No roll bars. Droop 5 front and 3 rear. Go to 2 rear if the rear end is still loose.

I use a spool up front on mine but others use one ways or normal diffs with the same set up. Don't keep the rear diff too tight - I suspect this is your main problem.

I run my car with 7, 8 and 9 turn mod motors. It is ballistic and handles like a dream. Best car I've ever had.

Don't go too extreme with set ups. Believe me it's very good with the kit set up. Try it and let me know how you get on.
I might try this set-up as well. Would this give me alot of steering? I run brushless (rated 6-7 turn) and is always understeer in tight corners as bl don't have the auto braking brushed motors provide. Any setup help would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: CGM kit..

Originally posted by Speed Demon
hi guys... just to wanted to know more...
does the cgm kit comes with front one way??
and is the diff case and suspension arm made from graphite or have to buy as option??

the reason for asking is..

cheers...
Hey dude, CGM on the way eh?
The full kit comes with all those parts you mentioned.
The conversion kit doesn't come with graphite diff case or arms.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

guys anyone tried the new RS towers?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: CGM kit..

Originally posted by lee82gx
Hey dude, CGM on the way eh?
The full kit comes with all those parts you mentioned.
The conversion kit doesn't come with graphite diff case or arms.
hey there.... where have you been???? seeing on da thread but missing on da track.. anyway,... maybe yes maybe not..... we'll see how things goin... happy racin dude...
Old 09-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

I'll try and answer some of the questions.

TRACK SURFACE. Our track is a very course asphalt / tarmac. There is a fair bit of grip but because it is course (bumpy) we need a fairly soft set up.

I have the same sort of set up on my son's TC3 which has won the National championship the last 3 years, so I suppose it's pretty good. Every other quick TC3 uses exactly the same set up, and the same applies with Yokes.

RAYSPEED TOWERS. Yes they are lighter than the CGM graphite ones......and stronger too. And yes they are more adjustable. The CGM is very heavy and I am trying to do all I can to loose some of it's weight, even to replacing the stock motor mount with the horendously expensive blue one, to save another 4 grams. I've got it down to just under 1550 without transponder. I saved 15 grams by using a Yoke Stratus bodyshell which is much lighter than the Protoform or HPI.

ROLL BARS. Again mainly weight saving. If you play with droop you get a similar effect. Not as good but almost.

I haven't got any pics of my CGM yet. The attached pic is of it's predecessor, with a 3.8mm thick carbon chassis i cut myself. It was good but the CGM is lots better.

Since I built this CGM I'm like a 58 year old kid again - down at the track to play at every opportunity.

I'll try and do a proper set up sheet and post it later this week.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-yoke-2-july-04.jpg  
Old 09-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Joe/Johnbull,

I was wondering if you have titanium screws, titanium axles and universal shafts on your car yet? I have my cgm's weight down to 1528grams/53.9 ounces with those items. That is just a tad under the U.S. NORRCA limit but still 2 whole ounces over ROAR limit. I got that weight with the diff up front, i cant imagine what it would be with my solid steel speedtech spool!

Blake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.