Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean B.
Diggity Designs makes them.
Excellent quality for a good price.
http://www.diggitydesigns.com/D3_OnR...iated_TC5.html
Thanks, Sean! (And great prices on the bearings!)

But hey, with all this talk about bearings can anybody tell me why/how they're getting THRASHED with normal running? I just tore down my rear hubs because of a noticable wobble in the right rear and the bearing was completely shredded, the crush tube was scored about half-way through and the hex adapter was so gouged I couldn't use it either. What is causing this!? I just now replaced the two outer bearings on both rear hubs with some Tamiya metal shielded bearings I had and need to come up with a crush tube, but I don't think I can afford (or want) to run this car if I have to replace these parts every couple of weeks.

Last edited by BobbyS; 09-05-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobbyS
Thanks, Sean! (And great prices on the bearings!)

But hey, with all this talk about bearings can anybody tell me why/how they're getting THRASHED with normal running? I just tore down my rear hubs because of a noticable wobble in the right rear and the bearing was completely shredded, the crush tube was scored about half-way through and the hex adapter was so gouged I couldn't use it either. What is causing this!? I just now replaced the two outer bearings on both rear hubs with some Tamiya metal shielded bearings I had and need to come up with a crush tube, but I don't think I can afford (or want) to run this car if I have to replace these parts every couple of weeks.
are you running the spacers in between the bearings which makes them a bit stronger cause so far i havnt had any probs and i have whacked a couple of walls in the side that are pretty solid.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AeRacer805
Is anyone using a futaba 9551 or 9550 for their steering servo??? What spacer did u use when u mounted the servo.
Is anyone running one of these servos
Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm running the S9551 and no spacer. Just mounted the servo to the aluminum mount with a small washer included in the servo hardware between the screw and the servo tab.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Catalyst
I'm running the S9551 and no spacer. Just mounted the servo to the aluminum mount with a small washer included in the servo hardware between the screw and the servo tab.
Thank you Catalyst
Old 09-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone know what part number the screws are for holding the associated battery posts to the chassis are? And for the top ones too?

Is it worth using ca glue on the edges of the battery strap?

Thanks, Jacob.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by decibels
are you running the spacers in between the bearings which makes them a bit stronger cause so far i havnt had any probs and i have whacked a couple of walls in the side that are pretty solid.
Yes, the spacers are there, someone reported the problem a while back on this thread.

Last edited by BobbyS; 09-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Whats the servo of choice for the top drivers on foam carpet?
Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A few pages back someone had mentioned having problems getting any droop in the arms. I just finished assembling a TC5F and was having the same problem.

I had to file down the arms (front and back) and a little on the carriers/hubs.
The rear arms being the worst, would sit just level and no further (with no shocks). The front arms were not quite as bad, they would sit just below level.

Does anyone know if AE has any plans on resolving this issue?
I was kinda hoping to leave all the filing/sanding/part fitting, back with the TC3

Otherwise, can't wait to try it
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sean B.
A few pages back someone had mentioned having problems getting any droop in the arms. I just finished assembling a TC5F and was having the same problem.

I had to file down the arms (front and back) and a little on the carriers/hubs.
The rear arms being the worst, would sit just level and no further (with no shocks). The front arms were not quite as bad, they would sit just below level.

Does anyone know if AE has any plans on resolving this issue?
I was kinda hoping to leave all the filing/sanding/part fitting, back with the TC3

Otherwise, can't wait to try it

That does not sound right, what mounting blocks are you using for the arms, there are three types; 1, 2 and 3 dots. Each set the arms at a different heigth. I am using 2's and have to cut back on the droop with the screws.

By the way, I don't like that the screws come in contact with the chassis so I made up four brass shims and used epoxy to bond them to the chassis so the droop screws impact the brass, not the chassis.

Dave
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is my newly built TC5 with the HPI Saleen body.

This car rocks!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-saleen.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The bearings in the hubs have been a problem for some guys. I have had a couple basically disintegrate myself. Bearing sets are pretty cheap from 3rd party vendors, and I haven't had a problem since going away from stock bearings.

Crush tubes should be easy to get at the LHS.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, the spacers are there, someone reported the problem a while back on this thread.
well not everyone is gonna agree with me but when you build the car and put the cv's in the hubs there is a bit of play!! i didnt have time to shim it properly as i was in a hurry as i got the car 2 days before a big meet! now i have noticed that the plastic sheilds have worn a bit from the hex lock. which i think is why i havnt had any probs yet all my bearings are fine after about 7-8 race meets! so i guess some play in the right areas is not such a bad thing!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

so, where's those 10.5t foam setups?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Catalyst
I think Im running the thickest spacer. Or whatever one kept the steering linkage the most parallel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.