Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Default Rear Mount

what site can we get this bulkhead from and how much?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

Just thought I would chime in my thoughts on the new bulkheads.

I got a set installed just last weekend and I am very impressed with them. The layshaft sits considerably lower now, with the front belt sitting only a few millimeters above the top deck the whole way along. First meeting with them I got my best ever result, so I can't complain about their performance.

A couple of install notes:

You will have to grind away (I used a Dremel) some portion on the main lower chassis and upper deck to account for the new motor position. That I expected, however another issue I found with my setup was that with the motor moved so far across, the pinion was rubbing against my front belt, and no combination of spur and pinion could correct for that. So my solution was to swap the front and back belts over on the layshaft and it worked perfectly. I can even change my pinion far more easily that with the standard bulkheads and setup. I am not sure if swapping the belts over is an issue for some people though, since I have an offset lipo tray, there is no chance of the belt hitting the battery, but if you run your battery near the centreline, swapping belts might not be an option.

Overall, great product.

Thanks to Nick and Greig

Regards

Neal
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Redwood, one issue you will run into is by flipping the belts around you won't be able to run a one-way. Have you tried flipping the pinion around instead? Might be an easier fix.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Redwood, one issue you will run into is by flipping the belts around you won't be able to run a one-way. Have you tried flipping the pinion around instead? Might be an easier fix.
yeah I tried to flip the pinion over, but the belt still rubs on the rounded side. I even tried narrower pinions, but they would have to be essentially only as wide as the teeth to fit.

You are right that I will not be able to run a one-way, and I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the heads-up.

The only solution I could think of, that wasn't flipping the belts, was to place shims between the motor and the mount, to move the pinion further out. However this defeats the point, since moving the motor closer to the centreline is one of the main advantages of the bulkheads.

If you find a way around the issue let me know, as I was contemplating trying a one-way at some point.

Regards

Neal
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Let me take a look tonight. I have to take off one of the bulkheads anyway because I forgot to install my spur. I'll see what I can come up with and take a few more pics.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redwood
Just thought I would chime in my thoughts on the new bulkheads.

I got a set installed just last weekend and I am very impressed with them. The layshaft sits considerably lower now, with the front belt sitting only a few millimeters above the top deck the whole way along. First meeting with them I got my best ever result, so I can't complain about their performance.

A couple of install notes:

You will have to grind away (I used a Dremel) some portion on the main lower chassis and upper deck to account for the new motor position. That I expected, however another issue I found with my setup was that with the motor moved so far across, the pinion was rubbing against my front belt, and no combination of spur and pinion could correct for that. So my solution was to swap the front and back belts over on the layshaft and it worked perfectly. I can even change my pinion far more easily that with the standard bulkheads and setup. I am not sure if swapping the belts over is an issue for some people though, since I have an offset lipo tray, there is no chance of the belt hitting the battery, but if you run your battery near the centreline, swapping belts might not be an option.

Overall, great product.

Thanks to Nick and Greig

Regards

Neal
as far as belt swapping if ur not gona run a oneway ur fine ive had mine flipped for months no problems and for my two cents on the bulkheads i wouldnt want to take apart half the car to change a spur gear
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

if you can flip the bearings in the one way you would be able to run it with the belts swaped.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mr crum
as far as belt swapping if ur not gona run a oneway ur fine ive had mine flipped for months no problems and for my two cents on the bulkheads i wouldnt want to take apart half the car to change a spur gear
Doesn't take too much longer to change the spur.

What motor are you running where you can't get the pinion on properly?

I runa novak and I have found I can run the pinion both ways on the motor shaft and have no issues with it rubbing against the battery?
Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rojna
if you can flip the bearings in the one way you would be able to run it with the belts swaped.
never thought of that greg when u postin pics of minnreg
Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've never thought about swapping the belts before XD seems like a great idea, espeically when it comes to changing pinions. I won't be running a one-way so that will never be a problem.
But wouldn't changing the belts over change the weight balance a little?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scooter79rs
I've never thought about swapping the belts before XD seems like a great idea, espeically when it comes to changing pinions. I won't be running a one-way so that will never be a problem.
But wouldn't changing the belts over change the weight balance a little?
not enuff to notice u run a ft tc5 ?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr crum
not enuff to notice u run a ft tc5 ?
I'm using the FT, without the 45grams sitting under the front belt my weight balance is perfect left to right.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I buckled down and ordered the exotek chassis and top plate. I also contacted greig about his bulkheads. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

I had to really think about this purchase. Seriously, it was $200. If you think about it, I could have sold my tc5 for $150 easily and put that $200 I just spent on a newer "better" car.

But there is something the tc5 has over all other cars, you can buy parts at just about any hobby store. For what ever reason, that eases my mind a lot. Coming from a tc4 and having to carry a pretty much enough spares to build another car and then some, I really like not having to do that with my tc5. It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

can't wait.....

--pakk
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

When I think or hear about "Newer, better cars," I think 2 and 3 at Reedy this year and that's enough for me.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

But the car I was considering took first in two classes at reedy

But yea, it was an idea I have been kicking around since I got my tc5. I am pretty much set. I'm going to stick this tc5 out and make it work for me. After all, it is not the car that is slowing me down.

--pakk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.