Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I have found most of my noise depends on what brand pinion and spur gears I run. Right now the Robinison Pro 48 pitch matched with the stock Associated 48 pitch gears or Kimbourgh gears run very quit. The Losi 48 pitch pinions always have ran extremely quit with Losi 48 pitch gears and the Kimbourgh and Associated 48 pitch spurs.

As you mess around you will find pinions and spurs that seem to be a little smoother when matched together. Some brands just are smoother together than others.

As long as you have a touch of play and no tight spots you will be fine.
My meshing is fine, I'm using Robinson Racing spur but I forget what brand the pinion is. Probably something largely un heard of. The damn grub screw used something completely different from all of the other pinions I've had, and it required a .05 imperial allen tool to use it instead of the normal 1.5mm. But I've since fixed that.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooter79rs
My meshing is fine, I'm using Robinson Racing spur but I forget what brand the pinion is. Probably something largely un heard of. The damn grub screw used something completely different from all of the other pinions I've had, and it required a .05 imperial allen tool to use it instead of the normal 1.5mm. But I've since fixed that.
Cool you got it fixed. I have never really cared for the Robinson spur gears. I like their higher end pinion gears but just never cared for their super machined spur gears. Never found them to much better than anything else for the price of the gear.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've noticed since changing my gearing to 37/66 (3.56:1) that I get some noise from the gears at low speed but its fine at resonable throttle. Is that just a normal downside to 48p at such tall ratios?
What motor and ESC are you running. I have LRP old Sphere with 13.5 and have to run 75/30. Go any lower anf we are talking fire hot. Run outdoor asphalt/ rubber
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Special"ED"
What motor and ESC are you running. I have LRP old Sphere with 13.5 and have to run 75/30. Go any lower anf we are talking fire hot. Run outdoor asphalt/ rubber
LRP Sphere Comp TC Spec with a LRP Vector x11 17.5 the motor is only getting to 48-58 C. At the moment for me it's winter and I'm lucky to get a day above 15 C during the day with 0 C nights.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I run 10,5T with 64DP. And have an 100T spur installed. With 100T almost all the tracks here in holland that suits me well... The Car rans much smoother and most of all more silence on the track.

My best regards

Robert Krens
what pinion are you running and what speedo and motor. how does the top end seem. does it still have bottom end?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (80%+)
Default tc5r front slipper diff

is there any thing special you need to know just put it together with the slipper pad and how tight should the diff screw be?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

tight enough that you cant move the outdrives but not so tight that the nut will strip. loosely grip the driver and tighten down.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Anyone got there hands on the new tc5x chassis and there thoughts, performance, setups.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Ok I ran my TC5R this weekend but the first time with the Diggity offset lipo tray. I didn't get any practice on the new layout til the first heat and in the past my car was terrible at this track. I didn't go out with too many expectations but to learn the track.

Overall I was very surprised. Car really worked pretty well for me all day other than it did lack the overall steering I needed but normally it oversteered a ton. My setup was pretty much what I started with at this track the previous two times I have been down but the car was 100% better. Not sure if it was all the offset lipo tray but it surely didn't hurt the car any. Overall I was very pleased with the results and another nice thing is the motor didn't scrape any at 5mm ride height.

I did end up running the fasted lap of 17.5 for the day but I lost a part from my caster block so couldn't run the main. At least now I have a pretty good place to start at the track next time I run. I will work on more steering and put more time into setup. I rushed around all day because I was late to the track, needed to buy and setup and new speedo and had a motor that was giving me problems so considering the everything not bad day. Every heat I ran I was on a TQ pace so not bad. More stick time and effort and I will be fine. The TC5 showed me it is plenty capable, it just needs me to drive it and adjust it to do what I want and it will be fine. I didn't seem very happy most of the day but now after sleeping on it and looking back truely wasn't that bad. Can't blame the car (which is always very easy to do)

Oh the 48 pitch gears worked great. Super quiet all day long. Had problems with my test speedo so ran a SPX on profile 8 geared 34/75 middle timing on the DUO. Had plenty of rip and motor temps at 160.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wyd
Ok I ran my TC5R this weekend but the first time with the Diggity offset lipo tray.
I'm not sure if you had done any balancing before, but I found my TC5R horribly unbalanced using LiPo and no weights. Regular mounting position + a sttrip of lead weight made all the difference in the world to its handling. That said I'll be trying the offset approach myself. Mind taking a picture of your chassis from the bottom? I'm going to try and fabricate my own offset brace to try out, before I commit to buying something.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wyd
I did end up running the fasted lap of 17.5 for the day but I lost a part from my caster block so couldn't run the main. At least now I have a pretty good place to start at the track next time I run. I will work on more steering and put more time into setup. I rushed around all day because I was late to the track, needed to buy and setup and new speedo and had a motor that was giving me problems so considering the everything not bad day. Every heat I ran I was on a TQ pace so not bad. More stick time and effort and I will be fine. The TC5 showed me it is plenty capable, it just needs me to drive it and adjust it to do what I want and it will be fine. I didn't seem very happy most of the day but now after sleeping on it and looking back truely wasn't that bad. Can't blame the car (which is always very easy to do)
By the sounds of it once you get everything running right your will fly.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by BlueEagle
I'm not sure if you had done any balancing before, but I found my TC5R horribly unbalanced using LiPo and no weights. Regular mounting position + a sttrip of lead weight made all the difference in the world to its handling. That said I'll be trying the offset approach myself. Mind taking a picture of your chassis from the bottom? I'm going to try and fabricate my own offset brace to try out, before I commit to buying something.
I run the PPD lipo weight in the my car currently. My car while I needed more steering did turn equally to both sides and didn't do anything funny when transitioning left and right. I will have to get a pick taken of it.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You guys ARE using a tweak station, right? Makes a huge difference. Check it every run.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What do you guys recommend I do to get my car to be more responsive? I am running rubber on asphault with rick howarts thailand setup. The car feels like it still has some initial push when steering, not loose at all. I considered taking some rear toe out but at the moment I am running 2 small shims. Would decreasing the wheelbase in the front help? There is 1 small shim on each bulkhead in the front. Thanks guys...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

By the sounds of it once you get everything running right your will fly.
I will be able to hold my own once I get it figured out. To be honest the TC5 was never the car I wanted and it was soley based on a good deal I got on it and I knew who had it so the car was mint. Now if I would get some quality time to practice with it I will get it working the way I want. The car is actually growing on me and what it showed me this weekend is that I'm on the right track and the car has the goods to run with all the top brands so I will press forward with making it work better.

Some of it this weekend was having to rush so much and I never did relax after that. In the end my own fault but it made me realize that I need to thru all my race stuff and get organiized alot better. I race better when I can relax and I find I think much better about what I'm doing.

It is just not the cars fault and I won't sit hear and blame it on the TC5. I take full blame for my performance which truely wasn't that bad. I expect next time out I will be way more ready to run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.