R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #5116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys gonna jump into the TC5 arena this weekend so I have a couple questions. I'll be running 13.5 rubber on carpet.. so as I look at setups all rubber setups I've seen so far have the ITF chassis. Well I won't have the ITF for awhile so what adjustments do you think need to be made to use the stock chassis?

Thanks,

Paul
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #5117
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Paul, I don't think you will have to make to many changes. If the setup calls for the 4 o-rings in the back I would definately do that. Otherwise, the chassis will work on rubber tires without any problems. I have done it for awhile now until I got the other chassis.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #5118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Droop is something that you set with no weight on the shocks. Setting them at 6 and 7 to the bottom of the hinge pin is fine but I can't get ride height with it.

I'm not trying this for foam tire racing. With foam tire racing droop is not really used. It would be more down travel. Set your ride height at the start and then limit how far you can lift the car before the wheels will lift from the ground. Kinda the same but different with droop. It doesn't change from the beginning to the end of the run.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #5119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I'm not trying this for foam tire racing. With foam tire racing droop is not really used. It would be more down travel. Set your ride height at the start and then limit how far you can lift the car before the wheels will lift from the ground. Kinda the same but different with droop. It doesn't change from the beginning to the end of the run.
huh?

Both things you described are droop. You can set it using a droop gauge or you can set it "above ride hieght". But both are droop settings.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #5120
Tech Rookie

So if you use the droop guage with the tires off and shocks removed and want to set your rear droop to 7 (like with the Cleveland setup) you measure it at the end of the arms to 7, then put everything on and set ride hight, correct? This seems really simple but I have searched around and everyone seems to have a different explanation or way of doing it.
hourocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #5121
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

hey i got my tc5 runnin finally. it seems to be going really slow. im running a 13.5 pro motor with gtb and a fdr of 5.06 but its not getting hot at all could it possibly be the timing ring? how do you change the timing? thanks
____ |_________________ |_| ____|
____ |_(@"@)____________|_|(@)__|

HOP ON BOARD!!
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #5122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
Hey guys gonna jump into the TC5 arena this weekend so I have a couple questions. I'll be running 13.5 rubber on carpet.. so as I look at setups all rubber setups I've seen so far have the ITF chassis. Well I won't have the ITF for awhile so what adjustments do you think need to be made to use the stock chassis?

Thanks,

Paul
I ran 13.5 with the stock chassis and the car was fine. You can use the 4 o-rings in the rear but I think that should only be used if you were looking for a bit more rear traction.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #5123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
hey i got my tc5 runnin finally. it seems to be going really slow. im running a 13.5 pro motor with gtb and a fdr of 5.06 but its not getting hot at all could it possibly be the timing ring? how do you change the timing? thanks

You don't need to mess with the timing. You're geared too high. Go up a couple of teeth on your pinion. If you are around 150 degrees or so you're good. I run around 4.7 fdr.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #5124
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
You don't need to mess with the timing. You're geared too high. Go up a couple of teeth on your pinion. If you are around 150 degrees or so you're good. I run around 4.7 fdr.
thanks mate. i cant go up in teeth for pinion as my lhs dosnt stock anything hiigher then 32 and i dont really wanna wait for 1 off the net maybe just go down in spur.

HOP ON BOARD!!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #5125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks mate. i cant go up in teeth for pinion as my lhs dosnt stock anything hiigher then 32 and i dont really wanna wait for 1 off the net maybe just go down in spur.
Tell your LHS that 2008 and beyond is the era of brushless. The pinions now look like spurs, motors are 2-3 times as expensive, and rubber tires are relevant.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #5126
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hi, I've had a problem with wheels on the TC5 coming off about 4mins into a race. I've changed the stub axles - but there's still a wobble in wheel. I'm using nylock nuts. I'm starting to wonder if it's the CVDs. Has anyone else had an issue with this? Thanks for your help in advance.

Shev
http://www.actionrc.com.au
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #5127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side

Quote:
Are you running 64p or 48p. In 64p Im running 114 spur 45 pinion
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #5128
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
hi, I've had a problem with wheels on the TC5 coming off about 4mins into a race. I've changed the stub axles - but there's still a wobble in wheel. I'm using nylock nuts. I'm starting to wonder if it's the CVDs. Has anyone else had an issue with this? Thanks for your help in advance.

Shev
Shev, if you are using the nylon nuts I would suspect that is the cause of the wobble and not the stub axles. What happened to the original metal lock nuts? I still have the kit ones on my car and have not had any issues.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #5129
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Side View Post
Are you running 64p or 48p. In 64p Im running 114 spur 45 pinion
48p. its all kool now i found a pretty good fdr (4.56 73t spur with 32t pinion) didnt have much time to test it, its raining at the moment and the bitcuman was wet so yeah.

Shev- do your wheels wobble because of the slop in the steering, i have that aswell

HOP ON BOARD!!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #5130
Tech Adept

im using 115t spur and 44pinion....and motor gets really really really hot...oh im using 4.5LRP brushless with lrp sphere....i dont have the capacitor on the speed control though....is my gearing wrong? or is it cuz i dont have the capacitor? (the cap burnt!)
topekoms is offline   Reply With Quote