Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can also build your own glitch buster with a spare piece of servo wiring and an electrolytic capacitor from Radio Shack. You can get some really big electrolytic capacitors there, for extra glitch-busting power. Just make sure the capacitor is rated for at least 16V.

Yeah, there's no way the Baja Rey could hold its own against a field of race-tuned short course trucks. 4-wheel independent suspension is just too much of an advantage. That being said, the Baja Rey is probably the first Class 1 trophy truck actually capable of racing at all, thanks to its lower CG and center diff; I'd like to see a few of those run laps around some Yeti TTs on a racetrack somewhere.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

i went back and took a look at everything again. the cheapo aluminum steering horn that i bought (instead of just ordering up a tlr horn) stripped out where the steering bolts to it. so i ordered up a tlr steering horn, which is an awesome little piece of machined aluminum, and bolted that all on. now my steering is tight, but the servo still loses power if i'm just turning the wheels on the ground. it starts off strong then dies off. is this a power issue or is the savox 1258 just not strong enough? once driving it's totally fine and the steering is very quick and responsive.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone know where to get replacment set screws that hold the driveshaft to the pinion and trans?? I lost one and dont want to buy an entire driveshaft just to get a couple replacement screws!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Fordboi415
Anyone know where to get replacment set screws that hold the driveshaft to the pinion and trans?? I lost one and dont want to buy an entire driveshaft just to get a couple replacement screws!
1 x #VTR246001 - Vaterra Glamis Screw Pin Clip Post (10) - something like this?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Ouch! Rear Upper Link

Why is the rear all over the place under acceleration... oh yeah. That won't help. Will replace stock and check out the aluminium upgrades when available i guess.
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_7330.jpg  
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCUK
Why is the rear all over the place under acceleration... oh yeah. That won't help. Will replace stock and check out the aluminium upgrades when available i guess.
Had the same thing. Only left side. Have no idea how it bent.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

1 x #VTR246001 - Vaterra Glamis Screw Pin Clip Post (10) - something like this?
Yea thats what im looking for but im unsure of the size so i guess ill have to stop by my lhs and see if they can match one up before i buy a bunch in different sizes lol...
Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Fordboi415
Yea thats what im looking for but im unsure of the size so i guess ill have to stop by my lhs and see if they can match one up before i buy a bunch in different sizes lol...
I'm using that part number in my Baja Rey - those pins fit, no problems.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm using that part number in my Baja Rey - those pins fit, no problems.
Sweet thanks man!! Ill have to see if my lhs has any..
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by novajustin
i went back and took a look at everything again. the cheapo aluminum steering horn that i bought (instead of just ordering up a tlr horn) stripped out where the steering bolts to it. so i ordered up a tlr steering horn, which is an awesome little piece of machined aluminum, and bolted that all on. now my steering is tight, but the servo still loses power if i'm just turning the wheels on the ground. it starts off strong then dies off. is this a power issue or is the savox 1258 just not strong enough? once driving it's totally fine and the steering is very quick and responsive.
Dry-steering is always hardest on the steering system. Ever try steering a real car without power steering? You'll notice the same thing.

Check if the servo-saver is opening up when you dry-steer the truck. That might explain it.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Had the same thing. Only left side. Have no idea how it bent.
The uppers have the job of resisting side-to-side movement of the axle. Simply landing a jump while cornering can be enough to bend one of the uppers if you do it wrong.

I replaced mine with Traxxas turnbuckles. I need to get some Jato ball-ends though, because the normal ball-ends aren't quite long enough and there's a bunch of threaded area exposed.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

So anyway I put new tires on my Baja Rey yesterday. Note the matching spare tire.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
So anyway I put new tires on my Baja Rey yesterday. Note the matching spare tire.

Looks good, i ended up going with Axials version of the BFG Baja t/a.. Im really curious and I want to get a Proline Raptor body for the yeti score and cut the front clip off to see if i can mount it to Baja rey.. there was a guy that used a slash toyota front clip on a BR posted on IG and it lined up nicely.. Anyone else try it yet??
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
The uppers have the job of resisting side-to-side movement of the axle. Simply landing a jump while cornering can be enough to bend one of the uppers if you do it wrong.

I replaced mine with Traxxas turnbuckles. I need to get some Jato ball-ends though, because the normal ball-ends aren't quite long enough and there's a bunch of threaded area exposed.
Ok. I can see that with some of my landings. Have to see if happens again. What traxxas part did you use? Can't picture anything that size.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone - new to this thread, but not RC. I should be getting my Baja Rey this week and pretty stoked! I've read through the entire post on the Baja Rey here and have already ordered a new servo, glitch buster. I was curious if anyone with the time and experience with this truck would be posting a complete set-up and modifications guide? I know when I had my Slash 4x4 the "Slayden" set up guide was very useful to getting the truck dialed in. I also like some of the stage 1-3 upgrade guides that Axial does. Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on this thing and shake her down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.