TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shark2288
do any of the team guys run the carpet conversion on high bite clay or do they just run the dirt version no matter.

Also, how do you do the front pivot mod, or is it just better to get the hrc front pivot
I just posted a link to the video in my last post.

We run the dirt version on clay, and the standard version on carpet. Not a lot of crossing beyond that.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
You bring up a good point. I habitually use 12awg but for stock racing is that really necessary? Would there be any disadvantage to going 14awg?
None that I am aware of.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I replaced the shock shafts and the xrings and im still getting so much pressure in my shocks that when i take the screw out oil squirts out and they are 100% rebound. I bled them extra this time and it still does it. It happens after i run it. Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You bring up a good point. I habitually use 12awg but for stock racing is that really necessary? Would there be any disadvantage to going 14awg?
I just looked this up. Basically, 1ft of 12g wire has. 002ohm resistance, 1ft of 14g has. 003ohm. I recall noticiing a difference whenI rewired my old Novak T1s' (brushed, pre high-frequency tech) with a 14g 3-wire setup from the stock 16g 4-wire. I don't know it that kind of change would have the same effect on a modenr BL system. I suppose everything counts for something.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As long as the motor wires do not get hot it's for weight savings. Going from 12 to 14 will not get the wires even warm. Only disadvantage you would have is if the go from 12 to say 20 or 24awg.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's kind of annoying to buy the "carpet" laydown when it was the only laydown. A few weeks later, Poof. Here's a dirt laydown that costs less and you don't have to spend $80 more on a gear box to get it right on clay. Rant over, still love it.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Has anyone figured out how to get the brass 30g rear pivot to fit the laydown?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:52 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Cday
I replaced the shock shafts and the xrings and im still getting so much pressure in my shocks that when i take the screw out oil squirts out and they are 100% rebound. I bled them extra this time and it still does it. It happens after i run it. Any ideas?
Are you building the shocks at the track?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
This ^. I always see people that build shocks at home, in their garage and then show up to the track. Temperature, pressure, etc... changes everything.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Yes at the track most of the time but a few times from home but it seems like it doesnt matter. Theres another having the same problem and he builds his shocks at the track only but after we run we have full rebound. The only things that arent new on my shocks are the body, the plastic guides and the cap/screw.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tlr224
If Losi would just come out with a carpet version of 22 for around 350 like everyone else instead of approx 320 for kit and 180 for lay down tranny. And I am a loyal Losi supporter. But that doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Originally Posted by TimmE
It's kind of annoying to buy the "carpet" laydown when it was the only laydown. A few weeks later, Poof. Here's a dirt laydown that costs less and you don't have to spend $80 more on a gear box to get it right on clay. Rant over, still love it.
The conversion is expensive mainly due to the chassis and gearbox. The chassis is priced about where you would expect but that gearbox cost is VERY high compared to other configurations. We all know this is mainly because each laydown case is machined Delrin vs molded plastic.

I think the reason these cases are continuing to be machined is because there is something more substantial coming in the 22 buggy world and I think it will be here sooner than later. TLR isn't tooling up to mold the cases because I think a new car is going to make them irrelevant.

Why else would they insist on machining gear boxes which puts the cost of a laydown car into the stratosphere; especially when the general consensus seems to be the laydown cars are superior on med-high to very-high traction surfaces?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Just received my HD slipper springs in the mail. The red spacer included with them, does anyone know what it is for? Is it a replacement for the spacer already installed on the lay shaft behind the slipper plates? If so I guess you don't really need a new one? Just kind of confused why that was included with the new slipper spring.

Thank you for any replies......
Old 01-05-2017, 03:44 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Cday
Yes at the track most of the time but a few times from home but it seems like it doesnt matter. Theres another having the same problem and he builds his shocks at the track only but after we run we have full rebound. The only things that arent new on my shocks are the body, the plastic guides and the cap/screw.
Build them just like this video, then let me know if that helps.

https://www.facebook.com/16771357659...6055177093183/
Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Will these fit and work correctly with the 3.0?

**Can't post links yet** Found on A Main
lunsford-super-duty-tlr-22-2.0-titanium-turnbuckle-kit-w-ball-cups-6
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think the reason these cases are continuing to be machined is because there is something more substantial coming in the 22 buggy world and I think it will be here sooner than later. TLR isn't tooling up to mold the cases because I think a new car is going to make them irrelevant.
I hope you're right! I've decided to just holdout an wait to see what TLR's next thing will be for carpet and high-bite dirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.