TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Has anyone used the gear diff from the rtr 22? My local shop owner runs a gear diff in his 3.0, and its awesome on carpet. I should have my new 3.0 on Monday and im excited to get it built. Any suggestions or tricks with these? Im brand new to 1/10 scale 2wd so this should be interesting.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Front shock tower same as the 2.0? Interchangeable?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbenmbx7t
Has anyone used the gear diff from the rtr 22? My local shop owner runs a gear diff in his 3.0, and its awesome on carpet. I should have my new 3.0 on Monday and im excited to get it built. Any suggestions or tricks with these? Im brand new to 1/10 scale 2wd so this should be interesting.
For a short, tight track (about 16 seconds per lap) I'm running the gear diff with only one pair of bevel gears and 5k AE diff fluid. I've only been doing this RC racing stuff for a year, but for my ability to push the buggy, I'm not diffing out anywhere. I also have plenty of steering and rotation in the tight turns, even with Schumacher Mini Pins on the rear.

Oh! You will want to replace the O rings on the inside of the outdrive with Kyosho ORG05. Otherwise the diff will probably leak. Others replace the outer outdrive seal as well, but I just use the black ring that comes with the diff. So far, I find the inner seal is what makes the difference. If you're running just an open diff with grease, the stock seals are fine; however, if you're filling the diff with diff fluid you will want to upgrade those seals.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Yes, same part number TLR1055.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks man...
Originally Posted by Kraig
Yes, same part number TLR1055.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Front shock tower for the 22's has always been the same, 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
For a short, tight track (about 16 seconds per lap) I'm running the gear diff with only one pair of bevel gears and 5k AE diff fluid. I've only been doing this RC racing stuff for a year, but for my ability to push the buggy, I'm not diffing out anywhere. I also have plenty of steering and rotation in the tight turns, even with Schumacher Mini Pins on the rear.

Oh! You will want to replace the O rings on the inside of the outdrive with Kyosho ORG05. Otherwise the diff will probably leak. Others replace the outer outdrive seal as well, but I just use the black ring that comes with the diff. So far, I find the inner seal is what makes the difference. If you're running just an open diff with grease, the stock seals are fine; however, if you're filling the diff with diff fluid you will want to upgrade those seals.
Thanks! I'll get those coming for the first build.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
The chassis stiffener is actually two pieces, an upper and a lower layer. The servo mounts only rest on the lower stiffener so I needed extra screws in that area to clamp the top stiffener down to the chassis. My original design did not have these screws and had a severe amount of flex as a result. I could probably get rid of one of the screws up front, but I feel more confident in the design having it there.
Ah ok, good deal!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
The chassis stiffener is actually two pieces, an upper and a lower layer. The servo mounts only rest on the lower stiffener so I needed extra screws in that area to clamp the top stiffener down to the chassis. My original design did not have these screws and had a severe amount of flex as a result. I could probably get rid of one of the screws up front, but I feel more confident in the design having it there.
Hey Nick, once you migrate to CF you can probably do away with the screws to combine the plates and use a high tensile strength epoxy geared for CF use. Something like this is what I was looking at for some of my stuff (50ml part a and b is probably plenty):
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp...EPX1_A_cn_E_33

Super glue would probably break apart over time due to chassis flex and lose it's tensile strength.

Cool project!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So after being a long time yokomo driver I bit the bullet after driving one about a month ago and got rid of the yoks.

first race day today.... super impressed with the car, kit setup on a bumpy low-med outdoor track, the only change was brought the shock in on the rear arm and 1.6fr pistons.

Far out best 2wd i have ever driven. cant wait to drive it more!

Well done Frank and the TLR team for such a car!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

My 22 is giving me no joy. Kit set up besides the 4 gear transmission to try and get some more grip. Car is very unsettled off jumps and tends to bounce around a lot, and finds every rut on the track, struggles between on power oversteer and off power understeer, I think I've placed dead last every time I've run it

Outdoor clay track low-medium grip, running rebar rears and vektor fronts. Fastest lap is 2-3 seconds down on the fast guys, Tekin RS Spec esc and 17.5 motor.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Start with that, maybe stand rear shocks up, move hubs foward
Old 02-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nexxus, we've found that jumping/landing is a strength of this buggy. Check to see that your shocks aren't pressurized. Mine have taken on air at times and the symptom is usually as you described.

I also just changed to the 1.7r/1.6f piston combo that most of the team run and found it to make the car more forgiving of my shortcomings as a driver, less grabbing and crashes due to me not timing jumps well. Stock is great on higher bite/smooth but not as good on bumps. I haven't lost anything with this change that I've noticed.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2
So after being a long time yokomo driver I bit the bullet after driving one about a month ago and got rid of the yoks.

first race day today.... super impressed with the car, kit setup on a bumpy low-med outdoor track, the only change was brought the shock in on the rear arm and 1.6fr pistons.

Far out best 2wd i have ever driven. cant wait to drive it more!

Well done Frank and the TLR team for such a car!
Agreed and it was good to finally have another 22 3.0 out on the track with me yesterday even if you went past me in a blink of an eye

I'm going to try 1.6 - 32.5 front and 1.7 - 30 rear as my only change from kit set up.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

What size drill bit you guys using to drill the ball cups to access the ballstuds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.