Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had my 1st runs with the buggy this weekend. I would have to this thing is dialed. Race was on high grip carpet. Was running pin points fr and rear and the D.P set up. Need to free the car up a bit so went to heavy sway bars fr and rear. Made it better but will need to play a bit more. Anyway car took a few hits and ran strong all day with no broken part. Lots of interest from the pits as guys couldn't believe how smooth it was on track..Sold the durango for the losi and a very happy with the buggy. On a side note I did notice a slight amount of belt slip at the end of the day. Being 1st tine out and running a 5.5 it was expected..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Not sure what hexes you are running? TLR only makes STD and +1.5mm for this car right now as far as I know.

I don't believe they make the front steering arm in alum. The square drive should not strip. They made the alum belcranks as they did have some concerns initially about the belcranks but they they hav been holding up well from what I have heard so not sure if you broke one and want to upgrade or? the plastic arm up there should hold up fine and it would be good to have a little flex somewhere in the system.
Yeah, I wondered if that was the theory - a little flex somewhere. I was going to get the AL because I saw that UN had cracked his at the square thing (but not the akerman arm). I guess I'll need to buy an extra "akerman arm". Too bad it comes with so many other things in the package!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Finally got my diffs working properly, and this car is dialed!!!!

Luckily Losi team driver Travis Brock was at SDRC yesterday, had him check the diff tensions, and I thought they were tight but i was like 3 turns too loose haha (i am new to ball diffs). So finally now i know what the correct diff tension feels like. And this car is sooooooo much fun to drive.

Weirdly enough, i finally broke a left a-arm (broke 4 rights so far). Broke the left twice last night but the stock left hinge pin is still intact (i've broken 3 right hinge pins). The team driver also broke his shock tower and one or both of the arms. He was using a shock shaft for his front hinge pins.

I must say this car is durable, and i've had no breaks that were surprising. All my breaks have come from learning that my 22-4 doesn't have bumpers/large bodies like my short course trucks haha
Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

SO STOKED. just received my Orion vst2 5.5t from England!!!! Can't wait to try this with the r10 pro
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uclabruins89

Luckily Losi team driver Travis Brock was at SDRC yesterday, had him check the diff tensions, and I thought they were tight but i was like 3 turns too loose haha (i am new to ball diffs). So finally now i know what the correct diff tension feels like. And this car is sooooooo much fun to drive.

Weirdly enough, i finally broke a left a-arm (broke 4 rights so far). Broke the left twice last night but the stock left hinge pin is still intact (i've broken 3 right hinge pins). The team driver also broke his shock tower and one or both of the arms. He was using a shock shaft for his front hinge pins.

I must say this car is durable, and i've had no breaks that were surprising. All my breaks have come from learning that my 22-4 doesn't have bumpers/large bodies like my short course trucks haha
Travis is good people. Glad he was there to help out out. Yeah we run the diffs pretty tight on this car.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uclabruins89

Ouch! If you are coming from SC class, I bet its a major change for you. BUT, this will make you a better driver, and make you smoother and faster. Which you can take back to SC and see how much faster you are in that class!

Most people cut their teeth on 2wd Buggy, since if you can race smooth and fast with them, then you can pretty much fly in any other class.

Last edited by Beau S; 02-24-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Beau S
Ouch! If you are coming from SC class, I bet its a major change for you. BUT, this will make you a better driver, and make you smoother and faster. Which you can take back to SC and see how much faster you are in that class!

Most people cut their teeth on 2wd Buggy since if you can race smooth and face with them, then you can pretty much fly in any other class.
Yeah I'm def already a better driver cus the buggy.. I haven't had a 2wd car since my T3 in the late 90s
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Comming from 2WD buggy and 4WD SC, only broke one hinge pin and one tab because I jumped right in a metal beam. I have over 30 pack on this car and I still getting faster and faster. I now have the shock shaft mod and I never broke anything since this mod. Some one here have tip how to setting this car on realy low grip track? Im currently box stock except the ride height 19 mm front and 20 rear and oil shock 27.5 front 25 rear. Realy like this car, make look my driving much better then I'm in reality.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Team Tekin

My 22-4 hit the track for the first time this past weekend at Addiction RC in Ogden, UT. Track was really good, high-traction clay. We ran full slicks on everything! The 22-4 is insanely smooth, quiet and nimble. I'm so happy with it right out of the box, aside from a spring change on the rear and some small setup tweaks and it was perfect. Only way it would have been faster is if I didn't bobble or crash at all, or if someone faster was driving it.

I broke two hinge pins and an arm, but they were such hard hits on the high speed sweeper they deserved to break, regardless the brand of car. Lots of broken cars this weekend, that triple was a boneyard during the mains. I finished 2nd in the B Main WITH a snapped right front hinge pin, it held together for the entire race. Smacked the sweeper wall again (mist system leaked a bit in the sweeper, broke traction and crack) and everyone heard it snap, I thought it was done but it held on.

In all honesty, I like the hing pin being the weak point on the front end. They are about 30 seconds to replace and I'd rather toss a new pin in than an arm or hinge block. When you crash a warp speed 4mod hard, something is going to break, so get over that part. All in all, very very happy with the 22-4 on indoor clay!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I finally just gave in and got a 22-4 kit, I'm about to start the build now.

Electonics:
LRP Flow ESC
Reedy Mach 2 6.5T
Savox 1258TG
Spektrum SR3520

I still need to get some saddles and tires. I am pretty excited for this kit. This will be my 3rd TLR buggy in a row.

Losi 8ight 2.0 - Powered by Reds
TLR 22 2.0 - Powered by Orion
Coming Soon:
TLR 22-4 - Powered by LRP & Reedy

I guess now you can call me a TLR fanboi. I need a sweater or something. Time to start this build, been saving for 2 months. Finally the time has come.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
My 22-4 hit the track for the first time this past weekend at Addiction RC in Ogden, UT. Track was really good, high-traction clay. We ran full slicks on everything! The 22-4 is insanely smooth, quiet and nimble. I'm so happy with it right out of the box, aside from a spring change on the rear and some small setup tweaks and it was perfect. Only way it would have been faster is if I didn't bobble or crash at all, or if someone faster was driving it.

I broke two hinge pins and an arm, but they were such hard hits on the high speed sweeper they deserved to break, regardless the brand of car. Lots of broken cars this weekend, that triple was a boneyard during the mains. I finished 2nd in the B Main WITH a snapped right front hinge pin, it held together for the entire race. Smacked the sweeper wall again (mist system leaked a bit in the sweeper, broke traction and crack) and everyone heard it snap, I thought it was done but it held on.

In all honesty, I like the hing pin being the weak point on the front end. They are about 30 seconds to replace and I'd rather toss a new pin in than an arm or hinge block. When you crash a warp speed 4mod hard, something is going to break, so get over that part. All in all, very very happy with the 22-4 on indoor clay!
It was a really good race weekend here, all the 22-4's were screamin fast. The things were so weirdly quiet they didn't seem like they were running the lap times they were. Even in our Stock 4x4 class running 13.5's were moving pretty good. They almost have me turning in my K1 for one, but i might wait just a bit longer for all the little quirks to iron themselves out.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Laker67
It was a really good race weekend here, all the 22-4's were screamin fast. The things were so weirdly quiet they didn't seem like they were running the lap times they were. Even in our Stock 4x4 class running 13.5's were moving pretty good. They almost have me turning in my K1 for one, but i might wait just a bit longer for all the little quirks to iron themselves out.
Any kit has kinks and they all break. I try not to read too much into things posted on the forums about issues, because it's a very small percentage of people posting compared to total people that own the car. I'm very happy with mine and don't have any quirks on my list yet.

They sound awesome down the straight, like a mod touring car! I could hardly hear mine out there.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Laker67
There are no quirks with this car. The only "quirk" everyone is complaining about is smashing a wall and having an A-arm break.. I haven't once heard of someone breaking an a-arm or hinge pin when they weren't crashing/smashing a wall/smashing into the back of someone.

And there are no "quirks" with the ball diffs, even tho a lotta people complaining about them. Those having trouble (including myself) probably dont have vast experience with ball diffs.

Hands down this car is very fast, easy to drive, and forgiving.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

I know you can use the 22 shock shaft, but I also heard something about using a rear SCTE outer hinge pin? Can anyone confirm that this works and are you using it with both the nuts on the end?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (98%+)

What length sensor wire is need for the 22-4 going to use an orion speedo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.