Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What cordless screwdriver do you guys like? >

What cordless screwdriver do you guys like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What cordless screwdriver do you guys like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
The best one is the snap-on clutch driver. The clutch is sensitive enough to drive in a 2-56 screw without stripping the .050 allen hex. Also if you want to back out a screw there isn't any buttons to change the drive direction like the cheaper drills forward and reverse is "on-the-fly" with a rocker style trigger.

Don't cheap out and buy the $30 Wal-mart special. Your power drill should be a investment like your Radio. I've owned this same snap on driver for 7 years and it still works like new.

Nicad version
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Lipo version
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I had the snap on one as well, nice tool but if money is no object than the matco tools one is king of them all. I have it, and use it on race days. Its not cheap think I paid like 225.00 for it, but the battery last forever. I will find the link and post it.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

were talkin RC tools here guys....were not trying to build a deck at the same time as tearing down our trucks.

Again, Hitachi for the WIN.

I have the SnapOn, It sits in its case collecting dust. I Tried to give it away but No one wanted it.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcracenut
Snap on is over priced for what you get. The Dewalt will run circles around it and will outlast it. Dewalts has many years of experience. A tool the constuction trade ( tough on tools) prefers.
You sure about that? It's a pretty big claim to be made. Most of the construction work i did was in Very High End residential and Woodworking, I don't remember anywhere on the job that DeWalt was the preferred brand.

DeWalts are a standby for tract home builders and those that want to buy batteries and accessories from the big box stores.

typically, for finesse and trigger control, you're going to be looking at hitachi or makita. Unless you want to spend some real $$$ then look at Festool. you probably won't find a better balanced or controllable drill.

I reallly wish festool made a smaller driver drill, the control on them is fantastic. until then, if my makitas (I have 5 or 6) give out, I'm going to this with the optional eccentric chuck for r/c use, the chuck offsets the driver bit to the very edge of the drill so you can reach tight spaces better.

but it's $237 without the extra chuck.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

REALLY? Dewalt is the prefered tool in construction. I take LOTS of makita, snap on and others in trade for the Dewalt 12volt kits. Nobody has been disappointed yet. Im not talking one or two or ten trades. I have taken hundreds of them in trade. The only place I can get rid of the trades is on Ebay. But buy what you want. Its America.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

I love my Dewalt 9.6v driver. Great clutch and awesome trigger feel for different speeds. The price is great too. Never had an issue in the 2 years I've had it and the Lipo lasts a LONG time between charges.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
anyone use one of these?

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/BDCS40G.aspx

Look slick, but wondering if the drive mech 'locks' when you cut the power. Nice for final hand tightening.

Any that owns one of thats used one know?

regards-
Eric
Yes , the Gyro's chuck "locks" when you release your palm from the back of the grip.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Guch, you using your for r/c? How would you rate it overall?

In a perfect world, it would be cool if it had a clutch, but my current (dying) tool does not have one...so not a deal breaker. As long as the mech locks for final hand tightening, I think it'd would be slick.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So I just picked one of these up at Fleet Farm for $40.

Has cool packaging that lets you try it out. Pretty slick for sure. Like the compact size, the light, and the fact I can use it corded if I drain the built in battery.

Once I got home and got it out of the package, I checked how the locking mech feels...honestly, it does not feel very solid. To be fair, B&D does not claim this feature, but time will tell if this part holds up. Initial bench test says not long.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

REALLY? Dewalt is the prefered tool in construction. I take LOTS of makita, snap on and others in trade for the Dewalt 12volt kits. Nobody has been disappointed yet. Im not talking one or two or ten trades. I have taken hundreds of them in trade. The only place I can get rid of the trades is on Ebay. But buy what you want. Its America.
all I was saying is that as one guy, you're claiming that DeWalt is the preferred tool for all construction. I've worked across 5 states and have seen variations on what is preferred over different trades and in different areas. sometimes it's milwaukee, makita, hitachi (although not as much), even bosch.

If you sell a lot of DeWalt, that's great, it means business is good for you. DeWalt is very popular, and a lot of people buy it because of brand accesibility, not just because they prefer it over any other brand.

it's just a medium to moderately high end brand, it's not the best out there by any means. No single brand is.

I'll tell you what though, I'd love to have some of those drills they use in operating rooms, the control and ergonomics on those things is amazing.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Snap on is over priced for what you get. The Dewalt will run circles around it and will outlast it. Dewalts has many years of experience. A tool the constuction trade ( tough on tools) prefers.
I have 7 years of use on my snap-on driver and it's still on the same OEM batteries. But what do I know about durability.. Snap-on tools are made for real life automotive mechanics, the environment those guys work in (nasty oils, dirt, rust, greases and harmful chemicals) is similar to but above and beyond the abuse I put my RC tools in. I would trust a Snap-on tool over Dewalt any day of the week.

Originally Posted by Integra
I have the SnapOn, It sits in its case collecting dust. I Tried to give it away but No one wanted it.
I find this hard to believe, if you're really trying to "give it away" I'll PM you my shipping address..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So I just picked one of these up at Fleet Farm for $40.

Has cool packaging that lets you try it out. Pretty slick for sure. Like the compact size, the light, and the fact I can use it corded if I drain the built in battery.

Once I got home and got it out of the package, I checked how the locking mech feels...honestly, it does not feel very solid. To be fair, B&D does not claim this feature, but time will tell if this part holds up. Initial bench test says not long.
Yes I use it for r/c as well as around the house. To clarify the chuck does not have a special design that "locks" it. When I said it "locks" I really meant the chuck does not free turn after power is not applied. Sorry for the confusion. Still I love how slow it can spin. It helps not to melt out the threads when removing screws. And the light helps on race nights at my local track where the lighting in the pitts is less than perfect.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Another 3 votes for the Hitachi...with the constant swapping of bits, I couldn't live with just one... so I got a couple more...
Attached Thumbnails What cordless screwdriver do you guys like?-dscf4394.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I think I'm going with the Dewalt or Ryobi. I'm left handed so that appears to rule out the Hitachi/Makita style. I've already have a Dewalt drill but I'm not sure I want the battery to be interchangeable due to weight. I want something light and handy.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
I think I'm going with the Dewalt or Ryobi. I'm left handed so that appears to rule out the Hitachi/Makita style. I've already have a Dewalt drill but I'm not sure I want the battery to be interchangeable due to weight. I want something light and handy.
I'm left handed too. On the Hitachi, I run the switch with the knuckle of my index finger instead of a thumb....works fine for me. 99% of the time it's used with the handle bent.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

anyone use one of these?

Look slick, but wondering if the drive mech 'locks' when you cut the power. Nice for final hand tightening.

Any that owns one of thats used one know?

regards-
Eric
I have this one and it does well. Doesnt have a clutch, but it is small and I can fell the screw tighten. Pretty cool. Just turn it in the direction you want to go, it reverse out or screws in, no switch to mess with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.