Wiki Posts
Search

RC10B4.1 FT/WC

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillPear
I would go back to the base worlds setup and try that before I went so radical with other things.
no I wouldn't change setup much.

Look at tires. Tires. Tires. They MUST be broken in well and use some grip to help. Look at what everyone else at your track is using. make sure you glued your servo savor nicely bc that can be causing you sometimes pushing or spinning but it sounds like new tires

ik this feeling, take em to some sandpaper to speed up the break in. Grip definatly helps the break in also, some wd40 softens the tires up also but don't overdo it. Try coating it a day b4 you race and throwing them in a bag. If you want cheap grip, go 50% denatured alchohal, 50% wd40. It works better since it dries much more quickly.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idrummerboy13

Look at tires. Tires. Tires. They MUST be broken in well and use some grip to help. Look at what everyone else at your track is using. make sure you glued your servo savor nicely bc that can be causing you sometimes pushing or spinning but it sounds like new tires

ik this feeling, take em to some sandpaper to speed up the break in. Grip definatly helps the break in also, some wd40 softens the tires up also but don't overdo it. Try coating it a day b4 you race and throwing them in a bag. If you want cheap grip, go 50% denatured alchohal, 50% wd40. It works better since it dries much more quickly.
I guess it can't hurt to try that. As I said in my original post, most people use m4 suburbs at my track so that's what I went with. I didn't use the foams that came with the tires though, I bought the proline closed cell front and rear and they seem pretty stiff. I'm wondering if maybe they're too stiff or something.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocky8333
Bored, so I took some pictures. Car is still covered in astro/rcp fuzz, so it looks a little odd. Tired of blue. V2's>Big Bores on astro...
Still need to buy a new MyLaps so I can dremel the chassis, put the transponder in front of the servo, and re-do the wiring on the RX side of the car. That and a Lundsford screw kit and I will be happy.
A touch of subtlety, exactly how color accents should be done. Last car that was done in red that I saw posted here had a bit too much for me. Every aluminum part was red.

Originally Posted by idrummerboy13

He said that he was on the same tires as all the fast guys. M4 Suburbs, which are already really soft. Any softer and the tires will probably be squirmy.

If his setup is way off then that is the problem. If when putting the car together he just tried to make his own setup, this is likely the case. He needs to find a setup from a track that is similar to where he runs, or copy the setup of someone local whose car drives how he likes.

Every adjustment does something. If you are mistaken as to what those adjustments really do, and you make some weird combination of settings the car will be terrible.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
A touch of subtlety, exactly how color accents should be done. Last car that was done in red that I saw posted here had a bit too much for me. Every aluminum part was red.

He said that he was on the same tires as all the fast guys. M4 Suburbs, which are already really soft. Any softer and the tires will probably be squirmy.

If his setup is way off then that is the problem. If when putting the car together he just tried to make his own setup, this is likely the case. He needs to find a setup from a track that is similar to where he runs, or copy the setup of someone local whose car drives how he likes.

Every adjustment does something. If you are mistaken as to what those adjustments really do, and you make some weird combination of settings the car will be terrible.
I followed the instructions very closely and used the standard setup. After running for a little bit at the track, a couple people suggested adding some more negative camber so I did. Beyond that, I changed nothing. I actually did ask one of the guys I know that runs there if he could send me a copy of his setup sheet as his buggy is always dialed. He hasn't gotten it to me yet.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Like drummer said, you gotta break tires in for them to work. Take them out on the street and break them in a little.

I know WCRC Raceway, is "some of the best traction in the US" but the time where my tires work best is when they get to the point where after a run you have that fat line in the middle of the tires, almost completely worn out. Even though there is minimal tire wear at WC
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gene158
So I took my new buggy to the track today and for the most part was very happy with it. Took me a little bit to get used to as it's my first 2wd buggy but I started to get the hang of it. The only problem I was having was with the rear end; it had no traction. The buggy was sliding way too easily and it wasn't my driving because I had one of the employees drive it and he had the same issue. He tq's and wins the stock class almost every week so it's definitely not his driving either. The slipper seems ok, not too tight, not too loose and I turned the punch down but not much change. I'm also running m4 suburbs, the most common tire at my track. I had the same guy take a closer look at it and he said the rear end is sitting way too high; the rear arms actually a tad above level. He suggested using a larger anti-squat shim for 3.5 degrees to get the rear end down. Can I just stack the anti-squat shims? He also suggested adding some rear toe. Without buying new hubs, can I just use one of the different arm mounts to add some toe in?
I'm running the standard setup with the exception of -2 degrees camber front and rear (suggestion from another driver). The buggy seemed to push quite a bit in the turns as well, that is when it wasn't spinning out lol.
I really want to get this thing dialed which I know takes time but I want to at least start heading in the right direction so I'm really looking for some more input on setup. The track is smooth, wet, slippery, indoor clay.
Since everything else seems to be accounted for, My guess would be the diff or slipper is not adjusted properly. If the diff is too tight it can create a posi-traction effect. So when you try to accelerate out of a corner both wheels are spinning at the same speed causing a loss of traction and thus a spin out. Happened to me in the past. Having one of the fast guys set my diff properly did wonders for traction.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Since everything else seems to be accounted for, My guess would be the diff or slipper is not adjusted properly. If the diff is too tight it can create a posi-traction effect. So when you try to accelerate out of a corner both wheels are spinning at the same speed causing a loss of traction and thus a spin out. Happened to me in the past. Having one of the fast guys set my diff properly did wonders for traction.
Thank you for the tip. Could having the diff too loose create a similar effect?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YankeeFan123
Like drummer said, you gotta break tires in for them to work. Take them out on the street and break them in a little.

I know WCRC Raceway, is "some of the best traction in the US" but the time where my tires work best is when they get to the point where after a run you have that fat line in the middle of the tires, almost completely worn out. Even though there is minimal tire wear at WC
Yupp new tires aren't near as good at west coast. That's the only bad thing about the low tire wear there... it takes forever to get new tires down to the optimum amount of tread.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Good question. I am no expert, but my experience with a loose diff was limited because you can hear it barking at you on the track every time you give it throttle. So i would tighten it up right away. The only problem with this is by the time you hear the diff barking your diff is toast.

I would say yes it could have a similar effect because the one wheel would be spinning faster than it should while cornering, again causing the buggy to loose traction. But i could be way off here.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

[QUOTE=R.Shackleford;11585410]A touch of subtlety, exactly how color accents should be done. Last car that was done in red that I saw posted here had a bit too much for me. Every aluminum part was red.QUOTE]

A touch of subtlety, exactly how opinions should be done...
J/k bro, I like your style.

Its not ALL red!
Attached Thumbnails RC10B4.1 FT/WC-2012-12-18_18-53-24_371.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie
Yupp new tires aren't near as good at west coast. That's the only bad thing about the low tire wear there... it takes forever to get new tires down to the optimum amount of tread.
That's why after I mount up fresh tires I take them to the parking lot and do donuts
Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

I followed the instructions very closely and used the standard setup. After running for a little bit at the track, a couple people suggested adding some more negative camber so I did. Beyond that, I changed nothing. I actually did ask one of the guys I know that runs there if he could send me a copy of his setup sheet as his buggy is always dialed. He hasn't gotten it to me yet.
The setup suggestions you mentioned earlier are pretty radical -2 camber is much more than the -.5/ -1.0 mostly recommended the other changes are also usually "off board", like i said original worlds setup and proper tires for you track is is you best starting point.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Suspended

Tire/insert break in may be the issue. Like others have mentioned, bar style tires need to be broken in. The PL CC inserts are very stiff when new, and take a good while to hit the sweet spot. You can speed up the insert break in by saucing the tires, wrapping them in Saran Wrap, then placing them in a Ziploc bag. Do this at least 3 days before your next race. Let them sit for a day in the bag, then put them back on the car and let them breathe for a couple days. The Saran Wrap will force almost all the sauce into the tire. The more sauce the tire absorbs, the more the foam will absorb. The more the foam absorbs, the more it will break down/in. Be careful, as too long with the Saran Wrap and the foam will be too soft. And not letting the tire breathe for long enough will make the rubber too soft. Also make sure wherever the tires are sitting for the post-marinade breathe is a "smell isolated area" as to not upset anyone else in the household.

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie
Bro Codes?

Originally Posted by associatevalley
A touch of subtlety, exactly how opinions should be done...
J/k bro, I like your style.

Its not ALL red!
You're right, the rear hubs are not red. I know when doing a one off build like that it is as much about the hunt for parts as it is the end result. If it were me, I would have just done the parts that were normally FT blue, and had everything else black or raw aluminum. But like I said before beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If something is an opinion of mine I usually will not beat everyone over the head with it. If whatever I am stating is a fact, and nobody else has posted what is clearly the fact, then I am not so subtle. Case in point, Kellens post about the tires taking a long time to break in at WCRC. My factual response is to run the new pre-broken in Bro Codes. That or bust some sweet donuts in the parking lot (which others have mentioned).
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone make a hard wing for 10th scale buggies? Something like what is on the ebuggys.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Before you change anything significant ride height makes a significant difference. 24mm front and rear is pretty common. You can have the setup spot on but if radio and speed control arent right your car will feel like junk too. These are even more critical in 2wd buggy than any other class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.