Wiki Posts
Search

RC10B4.1 FT/WC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Honestly, I think the c-hubs are just nonsense--another 'team' part people think they need to shell out money for.

They LOWER your roll center, period. You can do this at the inside brace by adding washers, but if you notice, they started shaving their brace at the same time they started using the c-hubs, which RAISES roll center. So... buy the part that lowers roll center, only to turn around and grind your brace down to raise it back up? Come on.

If you find yourself with a stack of washers on your brace with the A-hubs, then perhaps its time to consider the C-hubs. Having to shave the brace just to run the c-hubs is just dumb.

I run the b44 0 degree plastic hubs on all my cars and they are hooked.
Man dude I'm so glad I read this post! Lol you seem to be pretty good with suspension judging by your post in here and the big bore thread. I have the c hub already and guess that's why the guys at the shop that recommended that for the track didn't tell me to shave the brace. I assumed the lower both mounting pointer were that lowered the roll center. I would still like to see someone else confirm this but this is something I'm going to look into in the little tuning guide I'm using
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

My understand was that my lowering or raising the entire link evenly still changed the roll. For instance on the SC10 4x4, they raised the entire link 8mm. What were the results? For me, it greatly lowered your chance of a traction roll. I went back and forth and the +8mm inside and out definitely lower my chance of traction rolling. So I thought i understood its purpose. But then, on the b4 we lower the entire link and it seems to have a similar effect. The rear slides more and would reduce traction rolls on higher bite tracks. So I wont lie, I am kinda lost. When I looked at the diagrams of the roll cenets lines coming off the links, I can see how changing the height of the rod would change the roll centers. I was reading the JQ tuning guide and this is a quote. It has nothing to do with the b4 fyi.

"The rear link I find, is more critical to get right than the front. When trying different rear link locations, and you get it spot on, it feels like the car does everything better. The rear link will mainly determine the amount of traction the car has, and how it slides when cornering.

Lowering the link on the tower, will give the car more steering, as the rear will start sliding more in corners as you turn. It will also square up better when accelerating out of corners. Raising the link on the tower will add traction and reduce steering.

Lowering the complete link gives more traction, but the car seems to maintain more steering, than when lengthening the link.

In general, a long rear link makes the car more stable, have less steering, and be more predictable and easy to drive. A short link gives more steering, and initially the car can feel like it has more traction, but it will lose traction suddenly, instead of a predictable way.

Again, the further in the link is on the tower, the more stable and consistent the car feels, the further out it is, the more non-liner and and inconsistent it feels. The car will roll less and have less overall traction.

A longer link on the hub or tower will give more traction, and less steering, the car will be more stable. A shorter link will give more steering, specially into and mid corner, and the car will square up and accelerate straight better."
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wildcat, thanks for posting that, what book is that from? Is it available as a digital download? I'm mostly using the xray 1/8 buggy guide but want a more detailed source too
Old 12-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Legend

Honestly, I think the c-hubs are just nonsense--another 'team' part people think they need to shell out money for.

Rudolf said the same thing on Facebook .....

Wild

The C-Brace makes less roll & more traction

8mm camber mod makes less roll & less traction ...
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 66Racer
Wildcat, thanks for posting that, what book is that from? Is it available as a digital download? I'm mostly using the xray 1/8 buggy guide but want a more detailed source too
http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing that link Wildcat. A lot of great info.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
My understand was that my lowering or raising the entire link evenly still changed the roll.
Absolutely correct. It most certainly does. The changes at the inside have more effect than the outside, so lowering the link overall will raise roll center, and raising the link overall will lower the roll center. My problem with the C hubs is that, in my opinion, they lower the roll center when the car really needed a higher roll center in the rear if anything, at least with the OLD spring rates. On top of that, The more you reduce the distance between the hub hinge pin and the hub camber link position, the less fine-grained roll center adjustments you can make at the brace.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Prophet

All I know is. I tried both the A and C and I liked the A better. I felt like the rear was more predictable. I dont race blue groove, so I cant really comment on if the C would be better for that type of track.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Rudolf said the same thing on Facebook .....

Wild
Could you provide more info on what exactly was said and who Rudolf is? Never heard that name before.

Wayne
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Legend

A clue ...

He's

Santa's best driver ....
Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Have you tried both A and C hubs with the brace? On high bite surface it does make a difference and the buggy does perform differently.

I do understand that money spent into the car won't make it faster nor is an investment.... but at the same time it's hard to see someone judge something without ever trying it.

I tried A hubs again last night and my buggy felt limp. It was more predictable and "safe" to drive but it didn't have that extra edge I prefer.

Also, the JQ guide is a great article and I have it saved on my devices. However, it's for 4wd vehicles and not all changes will act the same. Like anything, make one change at a time and see how it works for you.
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
My understand was that my lowering or raising the entire link evenly still changed the roll. For instance on the SC10 4x4, they raised the entire link 8mm. What were the results? For me, it greatly lowered your chance of a traction roll. I went back and forth and the +8mm inside and out definitely lower my chance of traction rolling. So I thought i understood its purpose. But then, on the b4 we lower the entire link and it seems to have a similar effect. The rear slides more and would reduce traction rolls on higher bite tracks. So I wont lie, I am kinda lost. When I looked at the diagrams of the roll cenets lines coming off the links, I can see how changing the height of the rod would change the roll centers. I was reading the JQ tuning guide and this is a quote. It has nothing to do with the b4 fyi.

"The rear link I find, is more critical to get right than the front. When trying different rear link locations, and you get it spot on, it feels like the car does everything better. The rear link will mainly determine the amount of traction the car has, and how it slides when cornering.

Lowering the link on the tower, will give the car more steering, as the rear will start sliding more in corners as you turn. It will also square up better when accelerating out of corners. Raising the link on the tower will add traction and reduce steering.

Lowering the complete link gives more traction, but the car seems to maintain more steering, than when lengthening the link.

In general, a long rear link makes the car more stable, have less steering, and be more predictable and easy to drive. A short link gives more steering, and initially the car can feel like it has more traction, but it will lose traction suddenly, instead of a predictable way.

Again, the further in the link is on the tower, the more stable and consistent the car feels, the further out it is, the more non-liner and and inconsistent it feels. The car will roll less and have less overall traction.

A longer link on the hub or tower will give more traction, and less steering, the car will be more stable. A shorter link will give more steering, specially into and mid corner, and the car will square up and accelerate straight better."
One point i would like to make in this thread. Roll centers are only one part of the equation, CG and moment arms all come into play. Then some argue another one, called the roll couple, front to rear RC's connected.

The moment arm is the theoritical link, between the RC and CG. The longer or shorter it is, the more leverage it can apply over the suspensions movement, or not.

That being said, if you have a vehicle with a high CG (AE 4x4), it may, i dont know off hand, but it may have a low RC. When you combine them too, you have a long moment arm, and it will behave in a high traction, then traction roll manner. Same would go in the opposite hand, short moment arm, no traction, skid.

Then, you can add into the mix Centrifugal force, generated by the CG. If you remember the XX4, add a Quarter to the rear shock tower, up at the top, and the thing went from geek to sheek, back in the day. Raise the CG, and creates grip.

So most cars are only relative to there own design. Unless both share simlar size and weights. So basicly its a package deal you need to look at.
Tech Addict

They LOWER your roll center, period. You can do this at the inside brace by adding washers, but if you notice, they started shaving their brace at the same time they started using the c-hubs, which RAISES roll center. So... buy the part that lowers roll center, only to turn around and grind your brace down to raise it back up? Come on.

If you find yourself with a stack of washers on your brace with the A-hubs, then perhaps its time to consider the C-hubs. Having to shave the brace just to run the c-hubs is just dumb.

I run the b44 0 degree plastic hubs on all my cars and they are hooked.
+1

I've run C-hubs on the car almost the entire time i've had it and now i'm going back to As... even steven hartson runs A blocks and he's tried Cs numerous times and always ends up going back.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kromulous
One point i would like to make in this thread. Roll centers are only one part of the equation, CG and moment arms all come into play. Then some argue another one, called the roll couple, front to rear RC's connected.

The moment arm is the theoritical link, between the RC and CG. The longer or shorter it is, the more leverage it can apply over the suspensions movement, or not.

That being said, if you have a vehicle with a high CG (AE 4x4), it may, i dont know off hand, but it may have a low RC. When you combine them too, you have a long moment arm, and it will behave in a high traction, then traction roll manner. Same would go in the opposite hand, short moment arm, no traction, skid.

Then, you can add into the mix Centrifugal force, generated by the CG. If you remember the XX4, add a Quarter to the rear shock tower, up at the top, and the thing went from geek to sheek, back in the day. Raise the CG, and creates grip.

So most cars are only relative to there own design. Unless both share simlar size and weights. So basicly its a package deal you need to look at.
Yeah exactly, setup isn't just clear cut it requires a lot of trial and error. Especially in offroad there are many different driving styles. What works for ryan cavelieri may feel like a piece of crap to you. Everyone has to find their own setup to fit their driving style.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kuya_Kimo
Have you tried both A and C hubs with the brace? On high bite surface it does make a difference and the buggy does perform differently.
I have not tried them back to back on MY car, but I have driven *many* cars with them on it. The first b4.1 I tried that had them was better than mine, specifically on corner exit. I knew that what had happened was that their car's roll center had been raised (due to the shaving of the brace etc), so I immediately raised my roll center by going down in washers on my b4.1 and it was *just as good* as the person's car that I tried that had the C-hubs. *THAT* is why I don't buy into the c-hubs--I was able to get the same results just with ball stud washer tuning. Now, does that constitute a fair test? It's really up to you to decide that, but that was the result of me vetting whether or not I thought it was a part worth buying. I felt they were worthless. Perhaps its our track, who knows, but in my opinion, it's just a roll center tuning option--not something magical you need to spend money on.

Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.