Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Toys for Tots Championship at R/C Raceway >

Toys for Tots Championship at R/C Raceway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toys for Tots Championship at R/C Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a&et4racer368
I didn't even change a single thing on either the truck or the buggy when I came up and they both felt decent, the truck felt really good, even on the tires I was using. (Clay panther switches) I didn't even adjust the throttle. Left the 7.5 in and had some fun. I loved it because I could hit the triple perfectly (ask rich) just about every lap. My fast lap for the day was 11.4. Just because you have the big motor in, doesn't mean you need to use it. Control it in your finger.
Ask Rich what? I don't think he saw it. He was a lap and a half ahead of you. wasn't he?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mjk1210
Here's a link to a good summary of a thread from a few years ago. It was about 400 pages long and a guy condensed it to a very usable guide .

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/associa...SetupHints.htm

check it out. Remember, you gotta try a change and run a couple laps, change it back to confirm what you felt and keep doin that one at a time.
Thanks a million for that. A lot of good information there. It gave me a couple ideas that I wasn't thinking about.

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Dan, I actually "inherited" some of that Liguid Gravity that Mike is talking about if you want to try it.

Dave
Thanks Dave. For now, I want to try and get it worked out without sauce. You and others have it working so I should be able to also. Even if I don't resolve this, the problem will probably be gone in a couple weeks when the dirt gets turned over for a layout change.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RickyBoobby
Thanks a million for that. A lot of good information there. It gave me a couple ideas that I wasn't thinking about.

Thanks Dave. For now, I want to try and get it worked out without sauce. You and others have it working so I should be able to also. Even if I don't resolve this, the problem will probably be gone in a couple weeks when the dirt gets turned over for a layout change.
Dont fear the sauce. Believe me, the top guys dont. Ive watched em all do it when needed. Motor spray is the chealest ootiin for black dirt. A little on a toothbrush and rub it in. easy
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

You saw how I'd been fighting w/ rear tracking. It was, like you, making me mental. Going from having an over abundance of rear traction to loosing it all. I finally had it where I wanted it and the setup went to hell for both of us right at the same time. Not sure why it affected us but not some others. That spring change made a huge difference. Went from lucky to hit 11.6s to a best of 11.15 and average 20 of 11.5 with only that rear spring change. I understand the "theory" behind rc suspension but I've found it doesn't always apply exactly. We can work on some theories if you want to get your the rear traction you want and then go from there. You should try the tires you gave me that are working to at least take that variable out of the equation.

Dave
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowguy2012
Ask Rich what? I don't think he saw it. He was a lap and a half ahead of you. wasn't he?
He and I were talking and he was watching me in practice. And a lap and a half? I came from last up to second in a few laps, only a turn behind him until I broke. Rich said he saw me coming. Even Chris said nobody had anything for me in the main, so easy there killer.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
You saw how I'd been fighting w/ rear tracking. It was, like you, making me mental. Going from having an over abundance of rear traction to loosing it all. I finally had it where I wanted it and the setup went to hell for both of us right at the same time. Not sure why it affected us but not some others. That spring change made a huge difference. Went from lucky to hit 11.6s to a best of 11.15 and average 20 of 11.5 with only that rear spring change. I understand the "theory" behind rc suspension but I've found it doesn't always apply exactly. We can work on some theories if you want to get your the rear traction you want and then go from there. You should try the tires you gave me that are working to at least take that variable out of the equation.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll try those tires. They should actually make it a bit worse but worth trying.

Did you go softer or stiffer on the rear springs? I would have thought softer but I seem to remember you looking for stiffer springs.

After reading the link MJK posted, it reminded me that I have the rear hubs pushed towards the rear. I'm going to push them foward and increase the anti squat. Both of these settings that I currently have are uncommon.

I still have 2 shims under the front camber link which looks to be uncommon. I did this searching for more steering but I will take 1 or both out and then maybe and another to the rear. I currently have 1 on the rear and I do not have the shaved U brace.

I'm also questioning battery position. I used to run it all the way foward (again, uncommon for most). I am now about 1/2" back. I think I can still go back about 1 1/2". I'm not sure which way it should go for my problem but I think rearward will add rear traction on corner exit since it seemed to add more steering on corner exit with it foward.

I'm finding myself questioning everything I thought I knew from years ago because there is so much more information available now. However, with the additional information comes additional contradiction also.

I also find it more difficult to notice small changes in offroad compared to onroad carpet. Some of these changes I just can't feel so I have to trust that the direction makes sense and must be helping. I have moments were this can get a little frustrating but overall I enjoy the tuning aspect more than the driving.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

I have been running Chad Dues setup from this years Spektrum race, with a few changes. 3.0 anti squat, 3.5 Rear toe, 30w and Losi red spring front and 27.5w with Losi white in rear. The buggy feels real nice, can be a little loose at times, but the car seems faster. Had a 11.1 fast lap Sunday in the Main. I also was running the BB shocks for the first time, and trying to get the setup right with those. Which I think I figured it out. For tires I ran M4 suburbs front and green bar codes in the rear.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Crash74
I have been running Chad Dues setup from this years Spektrum race, with a few changes. 3.0 anti squat, 3.5 Rear toe, 30w and Losi red spring front and 27.5w with Losi white in rear. The buggy feels real nice, can be a little loose at times, but the car seems faster. Had a 11.1 fast lap Sunday in the Main. I also was running the BB shocks for the first time, and trying to get the setup right with those. Which I think I figured it out. For tires I ran M4 suburbs front and green bar codes in the rear.
Thanks Chris. It is good to know that other people are running this much rear toe and anti squat. Greg too said he was at 3.5 toe. I would have cosidered myself nuts if I tried going this high but I guess I was nuts keeping it as low as I was.

According to the charts, it looks like we are pretty close on the rear spring with you being .1 softer but you are a bit more softer on the front by .3.

We're running the same rear tires but I think you have closed cell in them and I have open cell. The tires Dave wants me to try are closed cell.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

I have been running AKA red closed cell foams front and rear.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Dan, try running the shorty pack at the beginning of the u-brace. As I've been reading that's where most everyone has had the best luck, including myself.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I went to a softer spring in the rear. I went way softer than I would normally go but that is all I had. After doing my spring testing they are only .1 lb/in different so in reality it wasn't as much of a change as I thought. I was going to try a stiffer spring but I didn't have one. In my experience I didn't think that'd help but some people (and some reading) let me to think it may help it square up quicker out of the corner. Moving the rear hubs forward will put more pressure on the rear tires as you've now shifted your weight back a hair. It's amazing to me that .030" of hub movement can make that much of a difference but people says it does. I'd also try a full stick pack or at least centering your shorty. I tried that shorty of yours and I had the same issue as you as I took weight off the rear and moved more up front. As you know I did two laps and gave it back to you. If you want to try one of my stick packs just to see how it feels feel free. Its an easy change you can make that doesn't take you any time.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll try those tires. They should actually make it a bit worse but worth trying.

Did you go softer or stiffer on the rear springs? I would have thought softer but I seem to remember you looking for stiffer springs.

After reading the link MJK posted, it reminded me that I have the rear hubs pushed towards the rear. I'm going to push them foward and increase the anti squat. Both of these settings that I currently have are uncommon.

I still have 2 shims under the front camber link which looks to be uncommon. I did this searching for more steering but I will take 1 or both out and then maybe and another to the rear. I currently have 1 on the rear and I do not have the shaved U brace.

I'm also questioning battery position. I used to run it all the way foward (again, uncommon for most). I am now about 1/2" back. I think I can still go back about 1 1/2". I'm not sure which way it should go for my problem but I think rearward will add rear traction on corner exit since it seemed to add more steering on corner exit with it foward.

I'm finding myself questioning everything I thought I knew from years ago because there is so much more information available now. However, with the additional information comes additional contradiction also.

I also find it more difficult to notice small changes in offroad compared to onroad carpet. Some of these changes I just can't feel so I have to trust that the direction makes sense and must be helping. I have moments were this can get a little frustrating but overall I enjoy the tuning aspect more than the driving.