Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Electric on-road @ Leisure Hours Raceway >

Electric on-road @ Leisure Hours Raceway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree23Likes

Electric on-road @ Leisure Hours Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike nelson
Hey guys and gals,
There have been some questions on rules for GT and Trans Am, we are going with ROAR rules in Trans Am, "Blinky speedo" and 25.5 motor, it does not have to be Novak.

In GT again any speedo in "blinky" and any 21.5 motor, spec tire in the GT class will be the Gravity tire.
Please reconsider: The decision makes sense since Leisure Hours is a ROAR track. However, USVTA is a locally born entity and other tracks in the area follow these rules. Officially making it ROAR rules for VTA would make racers in the USVTA national points series (http://www.rctech.net/forum/13343229-post1.html) ineligible for points. There are very few differences between ROAR + 25.5 motor and USVTA rules anyway. The only significant ones are the Novak motor restriction, the 5 amp battery and the 1450 v 1550 minimum weight. USGT is already becoming a "motor of the month game" with new 21.5s coming out on a regular basis that spread the field farther and farther apart on that big track. The same thing is going to happen in VTA if it doesn't die all together.

Also, as far as I can tell there are still no ROAR approved 25.5 motors since ROAR VTA is still officially a 21.5 class (ROAR people check me if I'm wrong). This means that the cost of being competitive on the big track just went up by $150 (http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....product_id=658). It also means that all sorts of short stack rotors and other nonsense are technically legal for the class. This is an inconsistency that the Novak motor rule overcomes. The only thing we have to deal with is the inconsistency of the Novak motors themselves, which is far better than dealing with it from a dozen different brands.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirt42fan
Can't we just let him go and take his picture down in the pit room and replace it with a Blackhawks banner? (im not even a Hawks fan!)
Good luck with that
Old 06-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Please reconsider: The decision makes sense since Leisure Hours is a ROAR track. However, USVTA is a locally born entity and other tracks in the area follow these rules. Officially making it ROAR rules for VTA would make racers in the USVTA national points series (http://www.rctech.net/forum/13343229-post1.html) ineligible for points. There are very few differences between ROAR + 25.5 motor and USVTA rules anyway. The only significant ones are the Novak motor restriction, the 5 amp battery and the 1450 v 1550 minimum weight. USGT is already becoming a "motor of the month game" with new 21.5s coming out on a regular basis that spread the field farther and farther apart on that big track. The same thing is going to happen in VTA if it doesn't die all together.

Also, as far as I can tell there are still no ROAR approved 25.5 motors since ROAR VTA is still officially a 21.5 class (ROAR people check me if I'm wrong). This means that the cost of being competitive on the big track just went up by $150 (http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....product_id=658). It also means that all sorts of short stack rotors and other nonsense are technically legal for the class. This is an inconsistency that the Novak motor rule overcomes. The only thing we have to deal with is the inconsistency of the Novak motors themselves, which is far better than dealing with it from a dozen different brands.
ROAR rules:

8.7.10.2 Motor and Battery Rules:
 25.5 turn brushless with 2S 7.4v lipo battery. ROAR Approved Non Timing speed control Level 3, 4 & 5 events shall only use this combo.

We already have "motor of the month" happening in the class, this is one of the reasons the topic was brought up in the first place. Not everyone was using the Novak 25.5's. Nelson's post is a direct reflection of what Scott Hill said the rules were going to be. It was Scott's decision to use the ROAR rules.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys and gals,
There have been some questions on rules for GT and Trans Am, we are going with ROAR rules in Trans Am, "Blinky speedo" and 25.5 motor, it does not have to be Novak.

In GT again any speedo in "blinky" and any 21.5 motor, spec tire in the GT class will be the Gravity tire.
You may want to got w/ USVTA rules (Weight, Tires, Bodies and Speedos) and let the "any 25.5" be the House rule.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I hope you mean any "ROAR" approved 21.5 motor??? Cause if not then then you open the door to the "outlaw" motors that are out there.

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom
ROAR rules:

 25.5 turn brushless with 2S 7.4v lipo battery. ROAR Approved Non Timing speed control Level 3, 4 & 5 events shall only use this combo.
I think what Beemerfan is talking about is that ROAR does not have any approved 25.5 motors or any spec/rules for 25.5 motors. So when you have this open for any 25.5 motor how do you know what company X, or Y and or Z is doing to their 25.5 motor. This is a problem with this being open....not sure if you are aware of this or not.

Also just an FYI to anyone that would like results from any race @ LH to count towards the USVTA National Championship they will not be acceptable from the stand point that they are not following the USVTA rules for the motors. USGT would need to be ROAR approved 21.5 motors as house rules and USVTA would need to be Novak only 25.5.

Anyway cant wait to make it to the track sometime in July when work allows.

Last edited by Kevin K; 06-18-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Not everyone was using the Novak 25.5's. Nelson's post is a direct reflection of what Scott Hill said the rules were going to be. It was Scott's decision to use the ROAR rules.
We're lucky to have enough VTA cars to run, and for the most part it's the same core handful of people. Just out of curiosity... Who isn't already running a Novak? One person? Two? It's not going to be a long list.

Whatever gets more cars on the track is fine with us. I find it a little bit funny and a little bit sad that the class with the lowest turnout (which is usually a *very* nicely supported class at a lot of other tracks) is the root of this whole discussion. Have we even had more than five cars or six cars at one time in a VTA heat this year? The rules (either way) aren't why people aren't coming.. that's the bigger issue.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

ROAR rules:

We already have "motor of the month" happening in the class, this is one of the reasons the topic was brought up in the first place. Not everyone was using the Novak 25.5's. Nelson's post is a direct reflection of what Scott Hill said the rules were going to be. It was Scott's decision to use the ROAR rules.
Thanks for the update on the ROAR rules. I was still going on old information. Interestingly, ROAR now also requires a driver figure.

I guess now it's a matter of, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Leisure Hours is kind of unique anyway. Like LasagnaCat pointed out, it hasn't been the most popular class lately. I've been there 3 times this year but only raced VTA once. I didn't notice anyone running anything but Novak. Maybe this will attract some VTA racers that like to spend money experimenting. Maybe it will make some people shy away. I guess we'll just wait and see.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
We're lucky to have enough VTA cars to run, and for the most part it's the same core handful of people. Just out of curiosity... Who isn't already running a Novak? One person? Two? It's not going to be a long list.

Whatever gets more cars on the track is fine with us. I find it a little bit funny and a little bit sad that the class with the lowest turnout (which is usually a *very* nicely supported class at a lot of other tracks) is the root of this whole discussion. Have we even had more than five cars or six cars at one time in a VTA heat this year? The rules (either way) aren't why people aren't coming.. that's the bigger issue.
+1

If half the people who go on here raced then I can see this being a issue. The reality is we barely have enough people to race. Making them buy a special motor to run at LHR will just kill the locals from coming. USGT class is the largest class right now and is a lot of fun. I know over 50% of them are running the new short stack motors. If you told them that they had to buy a new motor I guarantee you would loose more people than gain by doing this. Sunday is a fun day. I think the real issue is the weather. See everyone on the 5th
Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sorry guys/Dee. I asked that ALL of the rules follow the USVTA guidelines.

IMO the only way to run VTA and USGT is with the guidelines set forth from the founding fathers! This hobby is fun in many different ways. I personally like the challenge of squeezing every last bit of power from my car while fitting within the specific rules. Sometime it works....sometimes I jump curbs. Either way it's super fun. Watching the USGT glass run last week....I knew I wanted one. So Monday I placed an order for a body and today I'll be ordering a 21.5 motor (ROAR legal of course). At the end of the day we play with toys because it's fun in some manner. I'm seriously enjoying on-road more than I thought possible!

Maybe instead of asking Scott to jump in we need to police this ourselves. I don't want the people running in the National Points series to be penalized. But I also don't want newcomers to be scared away if they have the incorrect equipment .

What are other tracks doing for their tech procedure? Check cars before they are placed on the track?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Maybe this will attract some VTA racers that like to spend money experimenting. Maybe it will make some people shy away. I guess we'll just wait and see.
Or more likely everyone will just run USGT, and VTA will be a completely dead class. At least there's *a* popular class this year.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Watching the USGT glass run last week....I knew I wanted one.
Was it the puddle that did it?

Talk about making EVERY lap an adventure.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Was it the puddle that did it?

Talk about making EVERY lap an adventure.
That puddle was crazy!
Old 06-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

My opinion, for what it's worth, would be to have rules . . . period. We don't have them and never have. It's always been an "honor" kind of thing. If we stick with the USVTA USGT rules with no modifications, then we are good to go. It gives us clear rules and allows all the Nat'l points folks to continue doing what they're doing. Best of all it actually allows us to call out the folks that are racing outside the lines, because everyone knows what's allowed - that's the key here. You can't police anything when you don't have rules, because in reality . . . you don't even have a true class if you can't tell someone what they should be running.

It sounds like straight up USVTA and USGT rules are the way to go. I know I can live with that. So let's post 'em and reinforce them.

For all the regulars that have opined - thank you. I think we may have a consensus. Now LH needs to take it from here and we can get back to having a great time racing competitively, knowing that everyone is on the same page.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by E Motorsports
My opinion, for what it's worth, would be to have rules . . . period. We don't have them and never have. It's always been an "honor" kind of thing. If we stick with the USVTA USGT rules with no modifications, then we are good to go. It gives us clear rules and allows all the Nat'l points folks to continue doing what they're doing. Best of all it actually allows us to call out the folks that are racing outside the lines, because everyone knows what's allowed - that's the key here. You can't police anything when you don't have rules, because in reality . . . you don't even have a true class if you can't tell someone what they should be running.

It sounds like straight up USVTA and USGT rules are the way to go. I know I can live with that. So let's post 'em and reinforce them.

For all the regulars that have opined - thank you. I think we may have a consensus. Now LH needs to take it from here and we can get back to having a great time racing competitively, knowing that everyone is on the same page.
+1
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Howard posted this pic on facebook. Is this a TC chassis with USGT wheels/tires? Rayray want!
Attached Thumbnails Electric on-road @ Leisure Hours Raceway-img_0914.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.