Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
2009 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing >

2009 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
One thing you can do, is put a weight on Stock Class, so if you run 17.5 your weight is 1425g, if you run 13.5/27, your weight is 1525g or something like that makes them more even... This covers everyone then... You can run which ever motor you would like and adjust the weight. The fact is last year ROAR stock was 13.5 and everyone new this would become Pro Stock, and the new stock would be 17.5, and the have reduced the weight, and they have increased the heat times from 5 mins to 6 mins. Just so you know.

I do not have a problem with you guys deside, I just want to know what I need to run to be in compliance with the classes. Nothing more.... I understand you do want to turn people away, but you mite get more if you have a little structure... and you can play with weights and other things to now turn someone away. Weights are cheap to purchase compared to motors. Just some thoughts...
It is easier to say then actually doing it...I am sure ppl like you would do that to enforce the rule, but others might not...nor HTSC will have someone to WEIGHT your car on each qualifier and main...more important, TIME...just takes too long, and too much trouble.

Beside, adding weight ACTUALLY is a good thing to have on now a day cars that runs LIPO...I just don't see that will work or actually a disadvantage if someone is going to run a 10.5 with 1600g...10.5 car will still be a lot faster.

If there are more 13.5....there will be super stock class or they are at the OPEN class with whole bunch of 13.5 in there. HTSC does not even have time to race 3 qualifier..this year, making it 6 minutes, 2 rounds of Q and 6 minutes main......is as close as the lenght of what HTSC can allow...if adding SPEC...I just cannot imagine that. Remember, if 13.5 need to be weight...so does all the other cars need to be weight and make sure they are not way UNDER weight...
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
It is easier to say then actually doing it...I am sure ppl like you would do that to enforce the rule, but others might not...nor HTSC will have someone to WEIGHT your car on each qualifier and main...more important, TIME...just takes too long, and too much trouble.

Beside, adding weight ACTUALLY is a good thing to have on now a day cars that runs LIPO...I just don't see that will work or actually a disadvantage if someone is going to run a 10.5 with 1600g...10.5 car will still be a lot faster.

If there are more 13.5....there will be super stock class or they are at the OPEN class with whole bunch of 13.5 in there. HTSC does not even have time to race 3 qualifier..this year, making it 6 minutes, 2 rounds of Q and 6 minutes main......is as close as the lenght of what HTSC can allow...if adding SPEC...I just cannot imagine that. Remember, if 13.5 need to be weight...so does all the other cars need to be weight and make sure they are not way UNDER weight...
Just making a suggestion... at the Bass Pro race, we only weighed after the main, and if you are under weight we DNF, and we only weighed the top3, but impounded the top 4 just in case. We had only one time that all 4 cars where under weight, i call the class over, everyone agreed results stand, because everyone of the cars was under by the same amount. I'm not proposing to run 6 mins, I was only sharing the current ROAR rules, per Dave's comment about staying close to ROAR rules if possible. I was just letting him know what they currently are, nothing else. I was not suggesting that 10.5 would be included... only a weight difference between 13.5 and 17.5 to make them more even. I'm sure that even is impossible, but very close is possible...

No problem either way... I will show up with both 13.5 and 17.5 and let the group decide what we run... not a problem for me....
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Hey, we are at least make this forum at the top...

Again, everyone, I will run what people want to run... I comfortable either way...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
There are some things I plan on discussing with Ken this Sunday regarding rules and racing. I would like to see things more inline with ROAR guidelines but I know thats never been what racing at HT is all about.

I've read both sides of the story, I'd just like to see what Ken is thinking before I start posting "official" stuff.

-Dave
Stock should remain the way it is unless the class gets too big, then split it into stock and super stock/pro stock. Foam vs rubber in stock really has not been too big of a deal so far with the irregularities in the pavement. I think there was a mix last year with no real advantage (rubber you can get a season out of them unless you wreck alot). Weight rules, I side along the lines that it would only slow down the racing and make it a longer day for any class.

Mod at at HT has been pointless and usually a class that disappears after a few races.

Mini keep it Tamiya silvercan motors and Mini size tires only. So if another mini car other than Tamiya wants to run they know what they must have.

NASCAR Outlaw will be COT body, Vintage Tires and any sealed silvercan motor.

GT3 might be replaced by NASCAR Outlaw.

Offroad keep the same as it has been.
Might have to form a Slash class depending on entries. I would keep the slash cars box stock as much as possible.

Vintage, use the US-TA rules.

As far as gas/nitro classes I have nothing to say, I am sure those guys know what they want to do and can chirp in.

When we started the racing at Hobbyworks then eventually moved it to HT on Randall road, it has always been pretty loose on rules. The main reason is the attraction for new people and keeping it fun. The growth has been mostly friends and word of mouth to attract those friends. Most people know basic rules and would ask what they are if they did not. ROAR does set a benchmark for tracks to look at and follow but they are not always perfect in their rulings. Which is why 13.5 is no longer stock and 10.5 no longer super stock. If HT were to hold a regional type race, then the following or ROAR rules are critical. With the change in ROAR rules there are many that have 13.5s some have both, I personally prefer the 13.5 over the 17.5.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Stock should remain the way it is unless the class gets too big, then split it into stock and super stock/pro stock. Foam vs rubber in stock really has not been too big of a deal so far with the irregularities in the pavement. I think there was a mix last year with no real advantage (rubber you can get a season out of them unless you wreck alot). Weight rules, I side along the lines that it would only slow down the racing and make it a longer day for any class.

Mod at at HT has been pointless and usually a class that disappears after a few races.

Mini keep it Tamiya silvercan motors and Mini size tires only. So if another mini car other than Tamiya wants to run they know what they must have.

NASCAR Outlaw will be COT body, Vintage Tires and any sealed silvercan motor.

GT3 might be replaced by NASCAR Outlaw.

Offroad keep the same as it has been.
Might have to form a Slash class depending on entries. I would keep the slash cars box stock as much as possible.

Vintage, use the US-TA rules.

As far as gas/nitro classes I have nothing to say, I am sure those guys know what they want to do and can chirp in.

When we started the racing at Hobbyworks then eventually moved it to HT on Randall road, it has always been pretty loose on rules. The main reason is the attraction for new people and keeping it fun. The growth has been mostly friends and word of mouth to attract those friends. Most people know basic rules and would ask what they are if they did not. ROAR does set a benchmark for tracks to look at and follow but they are not always perfect in their rulings. Which is why 13.5 is no longer stock and 10.5 no longer super stock. If HT were to hold a regional type race, then the following or ROAR rules are critical. With the change in ROAR rules there are many that have 13.5s some have both, I personally prefer the 13.5 over the 17.5.
Not sure how weight would slow down racing but no problem either way and was just making a sugguestion to allow people to run the motors they want... but no problem either way.

Completely agree with you on Mod, no local racing will support this class and at the national level, it is has drop off...

Nitro (I ran this last year a the first race), no need to have this class, from my opinion at that track. Must my view... I will not run Nitro for other personal reasons as stated above....

I'm dusting off the TC5 and making sure I have it ready to go for May.. Just needed to know what I needed to run...

As far as tires a whole season.... Interesting...

It is all good.... No problems from me....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No...I was not off, and I knew along last year stock class is whatever motor that is not MOD class. But I was not talking about last year, I am telling Barry about this year STOCK and simply telling him to buy the right motor. What I did not know was last year Trans-Am ppl were running 6 cells 27T vs me running 4 cells 17.5....again, that is FINE for me, but I was trying to find out why my car was like 1-2 laps slower then everyone....but again, that was my mistake by not knowing the HTSC rules.

This year stock...is STOCK...ROAR similar type STOCK. Last year, I was the one that used my TA05R running a 27T brushed motor to race against others that used 13.5 and even with FOAMS....no problem for me, I did not win, but I had fun...but again, that was last year. This year, if we are here to share information and refine the class, why don't we do it right and make it well reconized..........Stock is 17.5/27T with 6 cells nimh or 2 cells LIPO, use rubber tires, any bodies, any chassis, no weight limit...I think that is as OPEN as possible for club racing.

Oh.....6 minutes qualifier and 6 minutes MAIN. Trans-Am will be 8 minutes A-main.
Sorry Howard, I thought you were talking about the motors people ran last year. I get what you are saying, and like others have mentioned, I'm good with what ever rules HTSC decides upon.

The weight difference to allow the different motors to run together is interesting. However, it seems Dave tends to be a one man show and stays busy enough dealing with scoring computer problems and getting people to turn marshal. Having to tech cars would probably just add to the difficulty. That said the idea of only doing it after the main would greatly simplify that. I guess we'll just have to wait for the official rulings to be posted!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I really hope they get their computer problems figured out this year. Even when the computer seemed to be working, it wasn't!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default FWIW

FWIW, If the HTSC crew needs a place to setup their loop and computer way in advance of their season beginning they'd be welcome to come to Underground and test and tune it. Heck they could even use it to time some real racing if they'd like. That way they could work any and all bugs out of it at a real event and know exactly what issues if any they have, but not have to setup their parking lot.

What we could do is have us hold our regular racing with our iLap RC but we'd also place AMB in the cars at the same time.......or the HTSC crew could just use the track whenver they want to do some testing.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
Sorry Howard, I thought you were talking about the motors people ran last year. I get what you are saying, and like others have mentioned, I'm good with what ever rules HTSC decides upon.

The weight difference to allow the different motors to run together is interesting. However, it seems Dave tends to be a one man show and stays busy enough dealing with scoring computer problems and getting people to turn marshal. Having to tech cars would probably just add to the difficulty. That said the idea of only doing it after the main would greatly simplify that. I guess we'll just have to wait for the official rulings to be posted!
No problem bud, I will run my stock with 17.5 JUST simply I want to use the right motor and get the best result, even if I am running with 13.5 and get blow away, that is fine...

You are also correct about the weight thing...it sounds EASY but with the time HTSC have, I am sure no one will follow nor no one will check or care, if that is the case, why bother...just run the 13.5 or even 10.5 with the stock.

Originally Posted by kufman
I really hope they get their computer problems figured out this year. Even when the computer seemed to be working, it wasn't!
That too....I saw all your result sheet last time, there is no way I made only 1 race last year, I don't care about my points but I was more worry about my memory and afriad I was getting Alzheimer's...I sware to god I did sneak out of the house more then 2 times and going to HTSC to race behind my wife awareness...

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
FWIW, If the HTSC crew needs a place to setup their loop and computer way in advance of their season beginning they'd be welcome to come to Underground and test and tune it. Heck they could even use it to time some real racing if they'd like. That way they could work any and all bugs out of it at a real event and know exactly what issues if any they have, but not have to setup their parking lot.

What we could do is have us hold our regular racing with our iLap RC but we'd also place AMB in the cars at the same time.......or the HTSC crew could just use the track whenver they want to do some testing.

Let me know if you are interested.
I think "FORMAT C:" will work...they just need to reinstall their software, check the wire and run it....also, does STRICTLY/UNDERGROUND planning and 'CROSS TOWN CHALLENGE" that we were all talking about for the last 2-3 years...? This year is da year..? Right..? At least, do the TRANS-AM cross town challenge...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At least, do the TRANS-AM cross town challenge...
Might be a cool idea like the hurricane series has been.
Gives people who like that class something fun to do.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
What software do they use? What is the connecting cable for the decoder? I mite have an idea....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

No problem bud, I will run my stock with 17.5 JUST simply I want to use the right motor and get the best result, even if I am running with 13.5 and get blow away, that is fine...

You are also correct about the weight thing...it sounds EASY but with the time HTSC have, I am sure no one will follow nor no one will check or care, if that is the case, why bother...just run the 13.5 or even 10.5 with the stock.

That too....I saw all your result sheet last time, there is no way I made only 1 race last year, I don't care about my points but I was more worry about my memory and afriad I was getting Alzheimer's...I sware to god I did sneak out of the house more then 2 times and going to HTSC to race behind my wife awareness...

I think "FORMAT C:" will work...they just need to reinstall their software, check the wire and run it....also, does STRICTLY/UNDERGROUND planning and 'CROSS TOWN CHALLENGE" that we were all talking about for the last 2-3 years...? This year is da year..? Right..? At least, do the TRANS-AM cross town challenge...
Cross town... What about running a different locations for a points series, Harbor, Strickly R/C, Underground, HTSC, HT Crystal Lake, etc... 6 races, one per month, move it around...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

just run the 13.5 or even 10.5 with the stock.
Cool, I have a 4.5 and 6.5 (I think my 4.5 is in the B44 which a friend has), so I will save my money and put the 6.5 in.

I'm just messing with you guys...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

.they just need to reinstall their software, check the wire and run it....
If it's that easy why did they encounter problems?

Like putting on a play, a dress rehearsal can help immensely.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Cross town... What about running a different locations for a points series, Harbor, Strickly R/C, Underground, HTSC, HT Crystal Lake, etc... 6 races, one per month, move it around...
Summer time running electric SERIES racing is NOT a good idea. Some weekend club racing is hard enough to get enough ppl to run. I am only asking ppl from Strictly swing by HTSC to race TA on SAT, and ppl from HTSC swing by Strictly to race TA on SUN. Nothing formal, just some cross town fun.....forming a SERIES of racing involve alot of time and money, and I don't think it is worth it in Summer time. Not to mention, the travelling distance between tracks, and in summer...ppl will do something else beside RC.

Cool, I have a 4.5 and 6.5 (I think my 4.5 is in the B44 which a friend has), so I will save my money and put the 6.5 in.

I'm just messing with you guys...
4.5 welcome....as long as you are going to enforece YOUR OWN WEIGHT rule by adding a masonry block on your TC5.

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
If it's that easy why did they encounter problems?

Like putting on a play, a dress rehearsal can help immensely.
I don't think it is something major...it is more like the personal does not count...more like the BRIDGE WIRE does not work most of the time. I think all they need to redo that wire and check all the connection, they are gold. BTW...I think they are running Jlap (I think..)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.