Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bristol race track

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i was just looking for info on this as they race monday night i hope the race this summer as i will be interested in racing there since i have monday nights off
Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone have a bobcat or an ass kicking rotor-tiller?

IF BRC is going to run this year we will need some help. The track is going to take some serious dedication to prepare it for the season. IF IT HAPPENS!

I propose the track gets leveled and tilled up, burns and all. At that time we clean out the rocks that have made there way to the top. All the extra dirt is piled up in a corner for a week or two to allow the track to pack and settle. The rain will be a huge help here. This could be done over one weekend. Then on another weekend build the layout.

At the time of track layout build I sagest we use plastic 55 gallon barrels cut in half to minimize the use of dirt. By doing this we can use some of the existing dirt to help with water flow. Also use plywood on the side of the jumps to help keep the jumps uniform. Last year they did not hold to well. The sides kind of washed off.

I fully admit I can not build a jump. I get the angle ALL wrong! (Refer to last years doubles and table top) But I think if someone with experience is willing to help, the track will be awesome. If not I will do my best to make them better.

This may sound like a lot of work, but with help it can be done.

I think the track could be running mid to late April if not sooner.

Scott if you’re up for this let us know.
I would love to help out this year!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Race-Wright
Anyone have a bobcat or an ass kicking rotor-tiller?

IF BRC is going to run this year we will need some help. The track is going to take some serious dedication to prepare it for the season. IF IT HAPPENS!

I propose the track gets leveled and tilled up, burns and all. At that time we clean out the rocks that have made there way to the top. All the extra dirt is piled up in a corner for a week or two to allow the track to pack and settle. The rain will be a huge help here. This could be done over one weekend. Then on another weekend build the layout.

At the time of track layout build I sagest we use plastic 55 gallon barrels cut in half to minimize the use of dirt. By doing this we can use some of the existing dirt to help with water flow. Also use plywood on the side of the jumps to help keep the jumps uniform. Last year they did not hold to well. The sides kind of washed off.

I fully admit I can not build a jump. I get the angle ALL wrong! (Refer to last years doubles and table top) But I think if someone with experience is willing to help, the track will be awesome. If not I will do my best to make them better.

This may sound like a lot of work, but with help it can be done.

I think the track could be running mid to late April if not sooner.

Scott if you’re up for this let us know.
I would love to help out this year!

if it happens at all during the week i would come out and help
Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Scott doesn't get online here to check out the comments...but I will be sure to let him know that he has people willing to help.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Race-Wright

I fully admit I can not build a jump. I get the angle ALL wrong! (Refer to last years doubles and table top)
Go to Leisure and bring a tape measure, carpenters square/level and some 8 foot 1x2's and a note pad.

height
length
angle

Obviously call Scott first.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

ChicagoKenji,

When I was at Leisure last time, I was taking note of their jumps since I am ready to build some jumps soon. Most launcher jumps seem to be nearly a traingle with a 30-45 degree launch angle and a 1-2 foot height, and they often occur at 6-10 foot spacings.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Bob, we're way past being on first name basis.

Feel free to use just "Kenji".

Ha.

If Bristol takes a peek at the 2009 Checkpoint classic thread here I put some of Bernie's photos up of their current layout. There's at least one shot of a low angle view of the one side of the layout that does seem to give a good sense of dimension of many jumps.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

correct me if i am wrong here but the take off jump's angle is only as important as the jump you are going to try and downside. What I mean by this is if you have a 20 degree jump, just make sure that you will have a jump in the right spot that you will be able to downside. I don't mean that you can go with a 60 degree jump in no sense.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

There is a difference between a "jump" and a "ramp" . Jumps tend to have a "parabolic" effect in the middle and can be tricky to get right when building them.

Ramps are just that, a ramp, a set rise over run to achieve the wanted effect. If the approach to a ramp is to steep, then certain vehicles will have problems and bottom out the front suspension at the transition onto the ramp.

Best thing to do when building any ramp or jump is to have a couple vehicles handy to test them before they are finished so they can be adjusted accordingly.

Just my $.02
Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

All good advice but I hope we get someone with past experiance to speed up the prossess
Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A few years ago a friend and I spent 250.00 in gas and equipment to fix the track. Only a FEW people came out to help. They know who they are. Those of us who put time and money into the track were promised free entry for the season. Then it changed to a few races, then it was two nights.
I cannot tell you how many times that year just a few of us came out a fixed the track. All we ever heard was complaints. The complainers NEVER came out to help. Matt knows what I'm talking about....just burned me bad.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd be willing to bring the 524 as the SCT test vehicle, and help move some dirt around.

Dunno how much real design effort anyone'd want me putting into the track though...I'm usually having the most fun with the track when everyone else is complaining about it
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
...I'm usually having the most fun with the track when everyone else is complaining about it

except when the "micro showers" hit at the track before the mains start, then everyone complains......:sneaky :
Old 03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ArmySIGCorps
A few years ago a friend and I spent 250.00 in gas and equipment to fix the track. Only a FEW people came out to help. They know who they are. Those of us who put time and money into the track were promised free entry for the season. Then it changed to a few races, then it was two nights.
I cannot tell you how many times that year just a few of us came out a fixed the track. All we ever heard was complaints. The complainers NEVER came out to help. Matt knows what I'm talking about....just burned me bad.
Wow! I did not know that you could spend so much gas for a track build. I am asking a neighbor with a bobcat to move some dirt for me, so I just hadn't thought about how much gas could be gone through. I am looking for maybe 30-40 yards of dirt to be moved. I don't want to pay/tip him too little. He is not a racer, so he will probably take cash, although everyone can come race for free.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ArmySIGCorps
You mentioned "a few years ago". If it was the same last year it sounds like there's some issues that need to be addressed. I have no idea who owns the place and who manages the venue and events but it sounds like that needs to be shored up or it risks alienating people and that's bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.