Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
R/C Raceland (new track in Carol Stream) >

R/C Raceland (new track in Carol Stream)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Raceland (new track in Carol Stream)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallstreet
I would be willing to bet if the underground put down ozite crc carpet where there onroad track is the place would be packed... racers would swarm to it like flys on $hit.

you get what about 8 to 10 for rubber tire stock running on concrete. if crc fastrack was laid down on the concrete you might get 20 or more a week . I know i would be out and i am sure lo, nexus, jimmy, kevin,rob and many others including myself who currently drive a great deal to race would be all over it .
I have a reply to this but you should probably move it to Underground's thread here on rctech. No need to go off in a tangent on this Carol Stream thread. We can talk over there if you like.

The whole thing about racing weekly is most guys do run in series's and bigger races and its just not worth the time or money (these days) to not run on what the bigger events and series run on.
For the benefit of the owners of Raceland what you just said applies to the friends you personally race with on weekends. I'm not trying to be argumenative but I don't think you speak for "most guys" or racers. Just the people you hang with. How many of you are there?

I know of 15+ people who would love to try racing at Raceland once it opens because they enjoy racing and as long as the experience is fun and postive they'll have a good time. Most of the people I'm talking about are club racers who might go to a big race every now and then but the goal of their weekly racing is to get some competition and mainly have fun. Not to test and tune for some other event or series.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Will the type of carpet keep you from racing in Carol Stream?
It will for me.....there is a very nice track about 40 minutes from my house now and The owner has a done a great job in making that track an awesome and fun place to race. For me right now this place would have to be a PALACE for me to go there with any sort of regularity....unless it was to fly a plane.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

I understand. that makes alot of sense.

Being that the owners of Raceland are most likely new to rc racing we should give them a description or a review of what people might be potential customers of theirs based on our RC experiences. Break it down for them.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To be honest, you would probably be better off to do carpet off road in this place. Leisure hours used to do that with their on road track, using old cut up shag carpets and wood jumps.

The thing with on road is that ozite or a surface like asphalt or concrete is really best. Maybe what they have would work, but if it's too funky, it will turn guys off. Offroad would have way less problems with this.

Actually, if they have tennis courts, that might be best of all. We will just have to wait for one of the guys from the track to come on here, vs. all the speculation.

also +1 on what kevin said about my current r/c home.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
To be honest, you would probably be better off to do carpet off road in this place. Leisure hours used to do that with their on road track, using old cut up shag carpets and wood jumps.

Actually, if they have tennis courts, that might be best of all. We will just have to wait for one of the guys from the track to come on here, vs. all the speculation.
I like both of these ideas....Carpet offroad is fun and clean...lol....and racing on a tennis court might be cool just depends on the tire wear as most of them have a surface thats like sand paper.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

i talked with larry and he had told me the guys do have a bobcat and if they plan on making an indoor electric only track i would be totaly game for that. After going down and checking out the leisure hours track it is very nice but after the nitro buggys and truggys are done with it , it has rutts in it like a super cross track... not an option for most offroad guys.

Indoor electric offroad and i am game .

indoor onroad with non ozite carpet i am not going to do .

flying indoors would prob be very popular too
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

\ After going down and checking out the leisure hours track it is very nice but after the nitro buggys and truggys are done with it , it has rutts in it like a super cross track... not an option for most offroad guys.
??

Not sure what you mean man. On Saturday electric racing nights Bernie is getting 35+ guys to club race. Check out their results page. The electric racers have doubled in size since last year.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What he means is that for those of us not running T4's, the ruts created by the 1/8th guys can be a bit challenging for our 4wd 1/0th buggies.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

If you carpet racing sedan guys can go to Leisure on a Saturday night with your 4WD buggies and keep up with Mellow or JayDawg then I think you can complain about track surface issues. Until then it just sounds like you are coming up with a poor excuse as to why you aren't winning.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you carpet racing sedan guys can go to Leisure on a Saturday night with your 4WD buggies and keep up with Mellow or JayDawg then I think you can complain about track surface issues. Until then it just sounds like you are coming up with a poor excuse as to why you aren't winning.
Umm, yea thats it
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Will the type of carpet keep you from racing in Carol Stream?
Yes, for any racer, the answer is yes.

I'd run carpet off road, though. Might be fun. Kinda like UK off road racing.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

I don't think it's an unfair statement that both of the LH offroad tracks were designed and built around 1/8th scale buggies and larger vehicles. Indoor, the surface is fine if you like that sort of thing, but outdoors is so large and abused by nitro cars that electric cars outside doesn't appear to be much of an option for anyone.

If they build an off road track in Carol Stream, I would hope that some consideration is taken for electric 1/10th scale cars and not completely around a car with twice as much wheel travel and three times as much ground clearance.

Personally, I'd be all over it. It would give me an excuse to buy a 4wd buggy again.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kenji: Make sure you mention the Peoria crew as well. They have been pretty fast in 4wd.

My initial response is..... This is off-road, it is what it is.

Wallstreet: Leisure's dirt has actually been getting better to some degree over the past year or so. The layout before the chi-town shootout was there for quite a while, and survived quite a few nitro races. The dirt seems to settle a lot better nowadays, not sure if Bernie added something to the watering procedure.

Having nitro run on the layout has both advantages and disadvantages. They are heavier, so they help settle the dirt in quicker. On the flip side, they tend to leave ruts near the takeoff and landings of jumps. But honestly, that hasn't been too much of an issue lately. The bigger issue is that they leave some oil on the track, and destroy electric cars/trucks on the open practice days. I think an electric-only practice night is coming around shortly, so that won't be a problem.

g12314: Is that you, Jimmy? I cant remember for sure. In any case, 4wd is becoming extremely popular at Leisure. On a rough track, sometimes the 4 wheel drive buggies are actually easier to drive than the t4's. They are able to keep on power easier through the ruts and bumps. You should come over and try it out soon. Walt and Eric make it out there every now and then, would be nice to see more 4wd.

The leisure dirt really isn't bad nowadays. Like I mentioned before, it gets a little slick at times, but that's about it. The nitros might tear up portions of the track, but remember that everyone has the same obstacles, and they really haven't been that bad lately.

It would be really cool to see indoor electric offroad. I would be all over it, and I know that others would be as well. Something to mix it up.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I don't think it's an unfair statement that both of the LH offroad tracks were designed and built around 1/8th scale buggies and larger vehicles. Indoor, the surface is fine if you like that sort of thing, but outdoors is so large and abused by nitro cars that electric cars outside doesn't appear to be much of an option for anyone.
Very true about the outside track. It's too big and rutted for the electrics.

But, the indoor track is still fine even for 1/10th electric buggy. Most of the 4 wheel drive mod buggies get around it without a problem. If I remember correctly, you didn't have the best of luck last time you ran 2wd mod buggy indoors at LH. Is this biasing your opinion?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

No bias—I hated it. I thoroughly didn't enjoy 2wd OR 4wd mod there. I personally don't particularly like hard pack dirt tracks indoors, for off road or oval racing. It's like brown carpeting and not very interesting when it's designed for larger cars.

After a winter of getting stuck inside for racing, I'd prefer to race outdoors on a dirt track in the summer, but that's just me. And I prefer electrics.

I'd love to run off road again, but I didn't think that track inside there (Leisure Hours) was very much fun. I certainly don't want to try it again if that's my only option. Again, just my opinion. I have plenty of other things to do during the summer if my R/C choices are limited to things that aren't much fun.

But an outdoor, loose dirt off road track in Carol Stream would bring me out, for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.